FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat will change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will change?
    Posted: 18 May 2007 at 12:46pm
The s59 repeal ("anti-smacking bill") was passed on Wednesday night and from in about a month's time, it will come into effect. Even though light smacking hasn't been specifically outlawed, the new wording is still a bit confusing IMO.

Question is, how will the law change affect your parenting?
Sponsored Links

tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 1:15pm
i dont think it will. we dont smack anyway.maybe a light tap on the hand every now and then.
i tihnk it will make me more aware of how other people disciplin tash though as she stays with the grandparents quiet often and they are big smackers.
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 1:33pm
Do you let them smack her? I wouldn't let my parents discipline my kiddies at all, their relationship (grandparents-kids) is so different from mine (mother-kids).
tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 2:57pm
i have told dfs parents time and time again nt to smack her but when i am not there or df isnt there they do what they want.tash doesnt go there anymore.
i have serious issues with dfs parents and the lack of respect they have for df and i as parents so we just dont leave her there any more.
i went completely nuts one day cos they gave her chocolate at 3 months old i was soo not happy. but they dont listen to a word df or i say. especially me. bloody inlaws(or out laws)
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 3:04pm
Argh, tashzmum, I've heard many inlaw stories like that.. my MIL is not much different! I'm glad I BF for a year, as every time we went over there, I'd make sure Ella was on the boob so she couldn't try and feed her anything!

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 3:14pm
Maybe now you can tell them that smaking is illegal. and you'll call the police if they do it again.. wont help your relationship with them, but sounds like not alot will.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 3:33pm
yeah but smacking inst really illegal....you can still use it as punishment..   to me there is no change and i am really disappointed.

it wont affect how i parent my children at all.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 3:45pm
The legalise hasn't really changed, not like it was originally intended anyway, but it makes me think twice about when I do give my kids the odd swat. I don't do it heaps but if I'm up town, the next person isn't going to know that, and I guess after all the hype it makes me a little nervous.
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 4:56pm
yeah, usually i discipline caitlyn with time out or taking away priviledges but i will smack her if she is doing something that endangers herself, like when she ran onto the road, only had to do it once and shes never done it since, but i think that smacking in that situation is allowed in the bill.

However, im sorry but i really dont think its going to stop much child abuse,theres a huge difference between a smack and a whack, and i know there are people on here that probably dont smack at all, thats awesome and i take my hats off to ya , but some of us do, if weve found its the most effective way of discipling them , if its in regards to our childrens safety (well in my case anyway ) but we that smack know the difference between a smack and a punch-the parents that do punch i doubt have ever smacked with discipline in their childs life

Edited by caitlynsmygirl
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 6:56pm
I'm inclined to agree - it's not legal to kill people or break into houses, but there are still the small minority of the population who seemed to miss that class in school and think it's OK. Same goes for child abusers. The only thing that will make a difference IMO is education and support for the people who do abuse their kids, stuff like strengthening families etc. to break the cycle.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 2:29pm
I still stand by my initial view on this, it won't change a thing because are still people out there breaking laws that have been in place for years, this is just one more!

I personally think people who harm their children (and we all know I don't mean a "smack") should be charged with assult. Why should children have less rights than an adult who has the means to defend themselves?

Just my opinion
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 8:48pm
i think the way this will impact is the prosecution of abuser. no longer be able to argue "reasonable force". the only impact I would think. hasn't cahnged the way I discipline the boys - we tend not to smack buyt my MIL has smacked the boys several times - much to my annoyance - and now I can use this as an excuise.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 8:57pm
ooooo that is SO not the MIL's job!
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 7:23am
My biggest worry is that the system is going to get clogged by false reporting and the kids that really need it are going to miss out on the support and help they really need because agencies are going to be to busy dealing with these other reports.

If they are not careful there is now a bigger chance for the real cases to fall into the cracks.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:09am
good point!
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 10:03am
Annnnnd, a chance for naughty kids to falsely report thier parents for smacking because they won't buy them a cellphone or whatever... I remember my brother at about 12 ringing the police on mum and saying she was beating him because he was grounded or something or other, and she had social welfare and the police round quick smart.. so embarassing.Luckily, those people are trianed in their jobs and can tell the difference between an abused child and a bloody naughty lying child!
DSS has already somewhat smarmily told me if he sees me "hitting" Jake, he will report me to the cops... (that kid has it in for me..)
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply