FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLiners/Boosters/Inserts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liners/Boosters/Inserts
    Posted: 27 May 2007 at 3:05pm
I've just about got the idea of the different MCN types only to realise then there are liners, boosters and inserts to worry about too!
We have bought a couple of pocket nappies and I have read through all the topics here but am still not clear on the difference between all of these. Please help me understand
Also, do most brands of these fit inside most brands of nappies? Are there any nappy brands that can only fit their own?
If you use a prefold inside,what size would you use? (I have ordered medium nappies for my little boy)
Thanks!
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 4:01pm
From my own experimenting most brands of inserts do fit inside most nappies so long as it's the right size (ie small inserts in small sized nappies and large inserts inside large sized nappies etc). The only one that I've found that doesn't is swaddlebees, as they are made to be very trim they don't fit most of my inserts.

Edited by kebakat
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 7:26pm
Yep, they are pretty much of a muchness, altho my lovely Fuzzi rep told me that only small inserts fit the small Fuzzis.

I use prefolds in mine a lot of the time as they last for a good 3 hours in pretty much any of my pockets, otherwise whichever random combination of hemp/microfibre/bamboo I can find at the time. And when I have nothing better to do on a Sunday night I sit around and play with my nappies and experiment with different combinations. Yes, I have a sad, sad life
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 7:48pm
I use flats alot as inserts, but like Ems I also use anything and everything in combination lol 

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 7:51pm
James doesn't wet that much so we get away with 1 microfibre and 1 Hemp insert and that will last 3-4 hours it also last over night as well. He wets more when he goes for his first nap in the morning then I use 2 microfibre inserts.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Faraway Faraway wrote:

I've just about got the idea of the different MCN types only to realise then there are liners, boosters and inserts to worry about too!

Liners are optional and inserts and boosters are pretty much the same thing when it comes to pockets...boosters are generally smaller and not as big as inserts but just used to "boost" up your nappies absorbency.

Regualar prefolds will do the trick fine. you can always fold them smaller if you need to.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

The only one that I've found that doesn't is swaddlebees, as they are made to be very trim they don't fit most of my inserts.

swaddlebees are shaped more to fit the swaddlebee pockets cause they are cut trimmer round the crotch but i used to use their hemp inserts in my other pockets. Happy Heinys also do an insert made specifically for them too (wider at one end) but i have only encountered them when i ordered one from overseas.
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 9:05am
So do boosters or inserts go in the pockets and liners go on top of nappy?
Also, if you use prefolds as inserts, what size do you need? Do you need small for small etc. or because they are bulkier could I get away with a small prefold inside a medium nappy?
I ordered a swaddlebee AIO which can be boosted - where can I get swaddlebee inserts from?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:00am
a liner is used to line the nappy for easier clean up.

in a pocket nappy everything else goes inside.

you may get away with a small prefold in a medium nappy but a med would be more absorbent. i use meds in all my pockets.

an AIO doesnt have a pocket opening and if you were to boost it you would need to lay the booster inside the nappy. You could prob get away with any kind of booster, not just a swaddlebee one. you could poss check some of the great WAHM's who sell accessories. I think there is a sticky topic listing these.

you can not lay microfibre directly next to a babys skin tho so keep that in mind if you want to boost your AIO.
sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:04pm
What are prefolds? Why can't you use straight microfibre next to Bubba's skin? Does it react bad?
I'm thinking of getting the Mommy's touch all in one pocket nappies so how much of the liners, inserts etc do I need to worry about?
Sorry to hijack your thread Farway, but good questions! It's so confusing all the different ways.
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:26pm
You can't use microfibre directly on babies skin because it is to absorbent and draws away the natural oils of babies skin.

As for the amount of inserts you all depends if your baby is a heavy wetter or not but i would say to get a few than the number of nappies you have.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:40am
gandt - just checked the website where I ordered my swaddlebee AIO and it def says it can be boosted through opening at rear but looks very slim so must only be a small one? Unless I am hugely suffering from nappy brain and misunderstood!!??
I ordered it from www.mumsandbubs.co.nz
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:58am
no your not suffering from nappy brain. the swaddlebee AIO does have an opening at the back. a swaddlebee pocket booster should fit ok, but maybe a BKT booster might be best cause they are very absorbent and not too large either. (i love BKT by the way so slightly biased)

i found a couple of TM listings for some boosters that look suitable...

here

and here

Edited by gandt
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 11:39am
Thanks Deborah those links are great!
 Post Reply Post Reply