FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWould you recommend?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you recommend?
    Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:47pm
Here's my dilemma. I want to be a cloth mum, but I'm really worried that spending so much money on MCN's without knowing my bubs size as a newborn, and how quickly they grow, will be a waste of money.

Do you think it would be more practical as a cost saving measure to use the old-fashioned type until bubs is old enough to trial the MCN's? I think I would stress myself out with figuring out which brand I like best, and I have no idea how they work, the outlay is quite expensive, especially when newborns are just peeing and pooing machines.

HELP! I don't mind using old-school ones, but would like to eventually use MCN's as I would use disposables when I went out while using flats. Hope that makes sense? Just looking at the price old vs. new. I know there are people on here who will say the high outlay is worth it, but we're not going to be able to afford such a huge price in the short term.
Sponsored Links

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:49pm
I recommend that you get a hire kit to trail all the different ones.

Which area are you in?

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:50pm
I'm doing exactly that! (waiting till bub's arse arrives) I have bought a whole lot of prefolds and I have 2 swaddlebees, and 2 joeleze and one mummys touch. I plan to use the prefolds whilst "experimenting" with baby's bottom in the others until I decide how the sizing will work etc. I am really hoping that the swaddlebees will work as they are SOOOOOOOOO cute.

As for the high outlay....its cheaper than disposables.

Edited by nzpiper
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Paws Paws wrote:

I recommend that you get a hire kit to trail all the different ones.

i second the hire kit idea...
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:53pm
I don't like using flats for newborns as they are really bulky and don't contain leaks well at all. ie every nappy change requires a full clothes change

I worked out that FB would cost the same as disposables if I used them for the first 4 months. So if it was my first child I would have gone with disposables until I got the hang of washing every day and all that (and you get given them at your baby shower usually anyway), and get MCN once they fit a medium size. Krystiana and Briona both fit medium FB, and because Bria is almost 2 I figure that has paid off really well.

Also the older the child, the less nappies you go through in a day.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:14am
Starting with old style cloth then going into MCNs is the most cost effective (IMO - in hindsight I wish I had). The you can put bubs into the medium size when they fit, this size lasts the longest (in my experience as an agent & Mum) so works out the cheapest
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:26am
Thanks ladies. Think I'll do the trial thing at some stage, but yeah, might stick with cloth until I know what type/size to invest in! Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply