FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMusty insert smell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Musty insert smell
    Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:09pm
My FB inserts are faintly musty-smelling and I'm not sure what to do. It's usually not a problem but when they are damp (not quite dry on the line) or in the dryer (propelled air) the musty "left-over" smell is definitely there. Is this what tea tree oil is good for, or is that just for in the bucket? BTW I wash in Persil, I tried a couple of eco samples (bounty pack) but found it worse than Persil.
Sponsored Links

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:17pm
I find my inserts smell a whoooole lot less after stripping with vinegar and baking soda.

And yes to the tea tree oil, chuck a few drops in a rinse.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:31pm
I never remember to strip the nappies/inserts but always add a couple of drops of tea tree oil to the wash and we don't have smelly inserts/nappies
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:37pm
My inserts used to be really stinky but I started adding a capful of Dettol Fresh to the rinse cycle and now they're much better
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

My inserts used to be really stinky but I started adding a capful of Dettol Fresh to the rinse cycle and now they're much better

Same here except I use Canesten, as well as treating the smell we use it mainly to make sure our nappies are not harbouring any extra bugs that might aggravate Erin's rash.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:15am
careful with the Canesten as it can coat the fleece. Tea Tree oil is a natural antibac treatment so should work as good
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 10:48am
I haven't had a problem with the Canesten so far, and have been using it for nearly five months. Anything in too great a quantity would have the potential to cause build up I would think?
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 11:20am
Where's the best place to get tea tree oil? A chemist or similar?
 Post Reply Post Reply