FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStealing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stealing
    Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:12pm

OK so I think this is a good place to but this.

Andrew has started to steal things, which is a little embarrasing. It started yesterday at preschool when DH picked him up and checked his bag for his stuff (tigger, jersey etc) and found a cell phone in there (an old one that one of the teachers had brought in as they were fighting over the phoen and who was going to be holding it). That was fine DH just ook it back in and told Andrew off. Last night I took him and Josh to the supermarket to get DH some stuff and I wanted out of the house (cabin fever after having no car for the day) and we were at the checkout and Andrew is talking about the chocolate and he asks for one and I told him no as we were heading to Nana and Grandads and he can have something there. I got out of the supermarket and there is Andrew sitting in the trolley with a Kinda Surprise, opened and he had eaten the top off. I went back in a paid for it (it wasn't like I could just put it back on the shelf) and told him off and took it off him, only for him to get it back and eat most of the chocolate before I knew he had it. He took the surprise into my parents place and they both told him off for taking it but I don't think it sunk in.

Any ideas on how to stop him now before it gets out of hand???

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:21pm
Hi Becks I did basically what Andrew did at the supermarket when I was about 5. I asked if I could have a chocolate bar, mum said no, I didn't think that was fair so I smuggled it. I had absolutely no idea or thought to it costing someone else, no idea of money value or anything.

Mum caught me out at the car (I looked terribly guilty and had it hidden under my coat). She marched me to the manager, got me to apologise, and left the bar there. Of course it wasn't opened so there was no money issue. Apparently (I don't remember this bit) the manager was going to say something like "oh that's ok, you can have it this time" but mum insisted that it stay there so I would learn. I never nicked anything again (except out of mum and dad's cupboards ).

Even though Andrew is younger than I was then, I still think returning and saying sorry is very important for the child to learn - consequences really. And perhaps even if you have to pay for another Kinder Surprise, you could still leave it at the supermarket (they can chuck it in the bin) and reiterate to Andrew that "mum told you that you can't have a chocolate today, we are leaving it at the supermarket because it was naughty to take it" etc.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:59pm
i dont think at that age it is stealing...

they dont understand that we have to pay for things and to them everything is there for them, so why not just take what they want.

my kids have eaten chocs while in the supermarket q too, very annoying... but i can understand why when they are just at the right height for the kids to grab.
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 7:07am
Jayden did this when he was four with a packet of chewing gum. And strangly enough he had already taken something from Kindy and his teacher said it was normal but made him say sorry and expalined to him that you can't just take what you want. He had already opened the chewing gum when we found it, So I went in and brought another packet and made him take it back and explain how he got it. He was really embarressed and cried and didn't want to do it but we made him. He now understands that you can't just take what you want you have to pay for it and there are concequences if you do. (the lady was growly at my request).

As far as we are concerned when they get to a certain age usually around four they are able to grasp a little about the concept of money, when we asked Jayden he knew he wasn't allowed to take it hence the hiding it. A year later and I'm glad to say he hasn't done it again.

So maybe if he does it again try this as by now after getting told off for this he knows that you have to pay for things and can't just take what you want.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:59am
A long time ago my little brother did this in the supermarket too with chewing gum, he was a little older, say around 6 or 7, My Mum sneakily went and told the Checkout Manager about the chewing gum stealing and could he please scare the pants off him and tell him that he's been caught stealing and the they police were on there way to take him to jail!

The Checkout Manager was only too happy to march up to my brother and totally freak him out! Needless to say my brother has NEVER pinched anything ever again!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 12:51pm
Becks, Hannah doesn't grasp the idea of money yet either. Yesterday we played shop and she charged me $2 for ice cream and chocolate and then $6 for a piece of cake! LOL But she does understand that you can't take someone else's things. When she asks for lollies etc at the supermarket I tell her we don't need any this week and we're saving them for someone else.
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 9:51am
This may be a lil harsh but this is what my mum did when my sister (who was 4 at the time) stole some bobble hairties from the chemist... mum took her to the local police station and then a policeman sat with tracey in one of those overnight cells for 5 mins talking about stealing.

Mind you this was 1991 and policemen had time for this, plus I am suprised an experience like that didnt haunt the poor girl.

But she never stole again.

Post Reply Post Reply