FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbreastfeeding at daycare?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breastfeeding at daycare?
    Posted: 18 July 2005 at 9:22am
Hey there, i am beginning to try and sort out some stuff, as Ayja begins daycare in about 4 or 5 weeks, and while that seems a long way off, it's going by pretty damn fast already. I know a few of you have done the breastfeeding thing with your babies at daycare, and i want to know, how did you cope and what kinda routine did you have them in, especially thos of you who put babiesin at about 3-5 months old. Ayja is starting to get a kind of routine, but it is not always concrete. how did you go about changing their feeding times to fit in with drop-off, pick up, lunch and break times.. i know ican do it, but it seems pretty daunting right now.. am afraid she will wake up when i can't get to her and be screaming for hours. still, no way do i want to switch to bottle - might possibly consider leaving bottles for in-between times just in case i can't get over, but only as a last resort.

How DO you do it?
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 9:58am
It seems so long ago I can hardly remember

Maya was just under 5 mths when she started. I had gotten her into a routine at home where she had bf's at 7am when she woke up, around 10am, 1pm and 4pm, then before bed at 7pm. She was booked into daycare from 8.30 till 2.30 every day.

I would give her the first feed at home before daycare, then take some baby rice and pureed fruit to daycare and they would give her breakfast around 8.30. My first class was from 8.30-10.30 and I spoke to my tutor beforehand and let him know i would have to leave at about 10.10 to go and feed Maya. I would go over then and give her a BF then daycare would put her to sleep. She would wake up at about 11.45ish and have a play on the floor and then they would give her mashed veges for lunch. My next class was 10.30-12.30 so after that finished I would go and bf her again. Then I would go and study on campus somewhere as I had no more classes, pick her up at 2.30 and take her home for another sleep, then dinner and a BF at 4pmish then bath and bed and BF at 7. Eventually as she got older we dropped the 1pm and 4pm feeds and I gave her a BF when I picked her up at 2.30 instead.

The best advice I can give you is to go with what suits Ayja. It will be a bit disruptive for her starting daycare, but they adapt a lot easier when they are so young. If you can, talk to your tutors and let them know what time Ayja needs feeding and I'm sure they won't mind letting you leave a few minutes early or arrive a few minutes late. And if you can, try to get her into a 'routine' feeding pattern rather than a demand feeding pattern, so that she won't get distressed if you're not there to feed her on cue. I also had my cellphone on vibrate in class so that if the daycare ever needed me they could ring me and I could go over. They never had to ring tho.

Good luck Janine, you are doing so well going back to school so quickly! I did my first semester with Maya by correspondence so I could stay at home. I wasn't brave enough to attempt going back on campus. But the end result is worth it - I was so proud walking across the stage when I graduated with my little girl watching me from the audience (actually she wasn't watching she was sleeping but you know what I mean lol)

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 10:26am
kewl, thanks - i was thinking of that anyway, we usually have big enough breaks to cope, but our classes go from 8 - 12 then 1 - 5, so i will just have to hope we have a break in the middle instead of every hour, but if not then too bad, lecturer will know.

hey yeah, I have updated Ayja's web-page for anyone who wants a squiz. ayja's web page

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 2:55pm
What a cutie pie!

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 12:50am
hey Janine, have you considered expressing a few freezer "emergency bottles", so if she DOEs wake and needs a feed and you are at school, she won't go hungry?
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 11:26am
I did that too, only problem was that my little monkey wasn't having a bar of it!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 12:45pm
jake was a little piggy and ate all foods in any form.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 6:19pm
yep , i will do that, cos i dont' want her cracking it and screaming for hours if i can't get there, but want to try and work it the other way if i can

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:05pm
Ok, I'm not sure my way was the most successful, but I'll tell you what I did anyway!

Hannah was fed 3 hourly for far longer than she needed to (Up until a few weeks ago when I stopped and thought - hold there, my child is not a newborn, what am I doing?!?!) So I fed her at creche before I left for class and made it back three hours later. You are kinda fortunate in that your classes are at the same time every day, my days varied throughout the week so it was hard trying to get her into a routine based on the time, stuck to hours between feed instead.
There were some days where Hannah was quite hungry if I got back around four hours later and some days where I had to wait around for her to wake up so I could feed her, but on the most part it worked out fine.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll cope!
If all doesn't go to plan with the breastfeeding, then hopefully Ayja will take to the bottle well

Post Reply Post Reply