FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs it a good thing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it a good thing?
    Posted: 16 June 2007 at 8:18pm
Older people working

"One in six New Zealand workers are aged 55 or older – but some say more work is needed now to stave off the skill shortage when "baby boomers" start retiring.

Labour Department spokeswoman Alison Dalziel said the annual Older Workers Labour Market Outcomes Report showed New Zealand had one of the best rates in the developed world for workforce participation among older workers.

Older workers accounted for 43 per cent of total employment growth in the five years to March 2007, or 40.7 per cent of the labour market – the highest in the 21-year history of the Household Labour Force Survey." (etc)
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 9:06pm
My grandmother was forced into retirement at 65 and hated every moment of it. she now is working as a nanny twice a week, and has joined bowls (i give her heaps about that!). She is really fit, healthy and apart from a bit of hearing loss, fine for work. I think for people like her, they like to feel valued members of society. If they can work they usually feel better for it. So yes, i think a good thing!
Emma_GabysMama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma_GabysMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 1:08pm
I think if it is their decision to work past retirement age, then good for them!!! My Grandad who passed away 9 years ago said that he wouldn't retire at 65 unless he could no longer walk or use his hands...
Emma - 23 proud Mama to...
Gabrielle Jayda-Lee 26.10.06

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:38pm
My grandma's mid 70's, and only retired because they moved cities and couldn't get a job after she hit retirement age. She now volunteers at a community shop, is the secretary for a few org's etc just cos she wants to feel important and needed. A lot of people don't want to retire at 65 cos they don't know what to do with themselves, whereas my mum said she'd quite happily retire at 65 as she wants to be a grandma and with her high-powered job she can't devote time for that.
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 5:18pm
my mum talks about retiring and i think - what the!!!! But then she is 57 now and i guess heading for retirement but she just seems too young to be thinking like that and is passing on her knowledge and years of learning to the young nurses etc who pass under her now...

I cant see my mum retiring anytime soon - except it is her that the govt is talking about!
 Post Reply Post Reply