FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’4real’

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’4real’
    Posted: 21 June 2007 at 1:37pm
Anyone else see this couple on Closeup the other night?

What are your thoughts on this one - are BDM being reasonable or unreasonable here?

There's an article about them in today's Herald for anyone who missed the Closeup story.

Edited by Mikaela
Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 1:50pm
BDM are only following the guidelines that have been set down.
I have a cousin who wanted to name his baby Duke and was told you can't cause its a title.
New Zealand has quite relaxed rules compared to some counties, I guess its a case by case basis.
Initially I thought the name was ok, but then when they said they were going to name their next baby 4 Sure and 4 Eva, maybe thats taking the mickey a bit.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 1:56pm
Were these people of the trailer trash or bogan persuasion? didn't see the show...
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 1:58pm

Also, I think BDM are within theire rights against stopping ridiculous names, and should be tougher. Now, I'm not saying our country should do this, but there are some countries where there is a list of "acceptable" names you can use.
I am thinking that these two didn't have enough brain cells between them to think about when that child is an adult trying to be taken seriously...
Lissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 2:13pm
I saw the clip on yahoo news this morning.  I could'nt not believe what I was hearing.  I agree with fleury.  They have got to be taking the mickey.  This is not right.  Poor Child

Edited by Lissy
Harlan Drew DOB: 06.12.06 & Stepmum to Ethan & Christian, DOB: 25.02.99
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 2:27pm
Did you read down a bit further about Drew Peacock? lol
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 2:44pm
I'm just glad BDM stepped in and said no - I mean, that poor child! I'm all for parental choice, but numbers are not names!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 2:48pm
The father was a real estate agent, felt like he was using his son as a gimmick. The poor child, I pitty him when he goes to school.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 2:51pm
One of BDMs criteria. 'It is also advised that parents avoid names which would cause their child to be teased or made fun of'
I would be suprised if there was a single person who hadn't been made fun of cause of their name.
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 3:05pm
I think its a silly name and surely there is at least one other name they had thought of before he was born?
I'm all for the right to give your child an unconventional name but I agree with Emma, a number is not a name!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 3:08pm
What??? Good grief! Surely they had other names in mind before the scan!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 3:09pm
Snap caraMel!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 3:39pm
What on earth posseses these parents to call them STUPID names. puhlease....

formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 4:02pm
Yeah I'm all for parental choice too but really what a stupid sodding name!!!! Poor kid....

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 4:10pm
I was just reading through the "my views" section, I like the idea of changing it to "Foreal" and making it the middle name....surely that would be a sensible compromise?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 5:17pm
Is that you they quoted Paws????
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 5:49pm
i say let them have it....the kid can always change his name by deed poll when hes an adult.
i mean it wasnt that long ago that people laughed at parents naming their children after vehicles (like harley etc) and what about the boy whose name is Boy.??

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 6:45pm
Oh my gosh that is so funny... DH and I were talking about baby names the other day and I joked that we should name our baby 7. Yep just 7. The other option was Nebuchadnezzar, so that shows the extent of the conversation.

I agree that numbers aren't names... and I think it's good that BDM stepped in.

But then again, don't you think Nebuchadnezzar is just as cruel? What if we seriously wanted to name our kid that, I'm sure we'd be allowed to? Where do you draw the line?
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by gandt gandt wrote:

i mean it wasnt that long ago that people laughed at parents naming their children after vehicles

Ha Ha.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 7:30pm
Rod wanted to all Jake Axel or Knut... You can see why there is sooo many ways that name would go wrong, aye... (it's in a baby name dictionary, pronounced Ka Noot)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>