FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSore nipples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sore nipples
    Posted: 09 July 2007 at 6:16pm
Probably been done before but bubs is yp for a feed and wanted to ask for advice before i have to get the booby out.

What can i do to alleviate pain while they toughen up and heal? Part of it is latching on, I know, and I am working on improving that, but in the meantime they are really really sore!

Any ideas greatfully accepted
Sponsored Links

Lissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 6:20pm
Have you tried shields?  They were a great help for me in the beginning.
Harlan Drew DOB: 06.12.06 & Stepmum to Ethan & Christian, DOB: 25.02.99
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 6:39pm
Panadol. And get superman to speed up time for ya.

Using purelan? or other lanolin stuff? That was great for moisturising/soothing.

Feeding going well apart from that?

P.S. It does get better! I promise!
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 7:11pm
The Mothers Mates gel pads really help me Miss & I wear sheilds. And like Nikki said panadol.
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 7:11pm

Purelan its great, on after every feed and it cleared up in a few days.

And it does get better

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 7:16pm
Purelan didn't do much for me, but that's probably the side because my nipple was split! My mw gave me some gel thingies, they use it for burn patients. Def ask your mw next time you see her.
MILF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:41pm
i used lansinoh, and airing them out lots helps too (getting them out into the sunshine is the best, but obviously that aint gonna work at the moment lol!)

also squeeze a few drops of milk out and rub it into your nipple, it can help too.

good luck, just keep telling yourself "this too shall pass" it does get better i promise!
Lyla - mum to

Xanthe - my big 4 year old
and
Jordis - 1 year old
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:47pm
I second lansinoh and breast milk. Good luck.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 8:19am
In third Lansinoh I found it great and as the others have said it does get better.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:53am
Lasinoh is brilliant! I used purelan first time and Lasinoh this time and it was heaps better- use it Everytime.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 11:47am
i used the gel pads one weekend when she made them really sore - they were awesome and healed them up and no problems since.

Also i tried to rub a little BM around them after each feed until about 12 weeks or so and had no worries
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:10pm
i have to say shields. worked wonders for me with haleigh.
floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:08pm
My midwife told me to use the gauze pads you can buy from the chemist and pawpaw ointment to clear up my cracked bleeding nipples which did work wonders.
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:58pm
Defenitely using breastmilk and airing the nipples out work wonders for me all 3times.  Goodluck and like the others have said "this too will pass"

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 5:23pm
Thanks so much - been trying a few things. We have purelan and that is helping, so that is good. i think she is latching on correctly now - yay us! I have done the airing out - ha ha, so funny wandering round with your boobies out! I also have even managed to get some sun on them - we have had the odd day where sun streams in the window in the lounge and I can lie on the couch! Wee did get some shields but so far have managed without them.

Now of course I think we may have thrush, as there is a new type of shooting pain and bubs has the white tongue thing going on. MW comes tomorrow, so will check with her.
sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 6:54pm
I've just been walking around with my boobs hanging out!
But my problem is my milk hasn't come in yet :( Boobs are getting heavier though I think (hope it's not just my imagination cause I want it to happen!)

5 days in, no milk yet and very sore, cracked, bleeding nipples.............ah the fun!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 7:30pm
Miss your bubs probably has a white tongue from the milk! But shooting pain isn't sounding so great
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 8:24pm
sparkle... keep up the good work! The best way to get your milk in is to keep babe feeding. My milk came in on the 4th day (i think) but holy crap that was a hard 3 days. I literally had to force myself to just put her on the boob and endure atleast 5 minutes each side to stimulate milk production. But boy, when it came in it was soooo good! Hope it happens soon for ya.
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 8:36pm
Another thing is to gently hand express a few drops of BM prior to a feed so when the baby latches on they don't suck rapidly to draw the milk out, its already there.

Nipple shields are good to give your nipples a break for a few days to heal but apparently don't drain the breast as well so you may end up with mastitis. The shooting pain might be nerve damage from your nipples. Panadol will aleviate the pain.
ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 8:45pm
Try rubbing some breast milk (when it comes in)on your nipples too, Sparkle, its great for healing all sorts of complaints. And the lansinoh ointment is fantastic for healing sore nipples - apply small amount after each feed. Expressing and using nipple shields was how I gave my nipples a break while they healed - and they were pretty bad - cracked and bleeding, but they only took about 3-4 days to 'toughen' up and heal. Try to perservere as I think the first 2 weeks of breastfeeding are the hardest, but once you make it to the other side, its so worth it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>