FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAm I or am I not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I or am I not?
    Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:16pm
Hi everyone

I've been lurking here for a couple of months and have thoroughly enjoyed everyones different journies into motherhood. It's s trip my DP(34) and I(33) would like to take ouselves one day soon and that's what's prompted me to post! We were planning on trying next year but now I'm wondering now if I am pg sonner than expected.. My (regular, 28 day cycle) period was due last Fri so am now about 4/5 days overdue. Have the PMS sypmtoms of sore breasts, mild tummy cramping (nothing like PMS cramping), but no AF...yet! I've also been unbeliveably moody (waaay more than usual PMS)! My poor DP! lol
Anyway, I am too scared to test as I think I've been building my hopes up and will be gutted if its a BFN. I've been under quite a bit of stress lately too with a new job and new study etc so this may well be the reason for the late AF. The other thing that makes me doubt I'm pg is that we've not actively been 'trying'- i.e we've been using protection (although we have BD quite a bit the last month and there was one or two occasions where we thought the condom slipped).
What are your views? Is it possible for this to happen even when using condoms? I know I sound naive, but this is all new territory for me. Your help would be great.
Thanks ladies.
Sponsored Links

Konagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:24pm
Welcome Emmecat!
I'm fairly new to the ttc and not sure how much I can help but it seems to me that some people get preg without even trying and for some it takes months/years of ttc before it happens. If it happens at all. So it's all very arbitory. From what I've read, there is a window of about 12 hours - when the egg is avaliable to be fertilised, but sperm live longer then that. So, if, if, if you bd at the right time, and the condom slipped at the right time then yes, you might be preg. But you also might be late. There have been a lot of very late AF's going around (6 days for me). So, if you can hang on another few days I'd wait till your over a week over due then test. If it comes back neg, wait again - say 3 days, then get bloods if still no AF. Bloods are more accurate.
That's, of course, just my opinion.
If I was you I'd test now, but that's cos I want to be preg!
Goodluck which ever way this turns out.
Angel babies Mar '04, Oct '08 and Sep '09.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:34pm
Hi Emme, it definitely is possible, whether the condom has slipped or not they are not 100% effective and there have been holes known to occur as well. For me, I don't really get cramps when I'm pg - definitely stretching soreness but it's quite different from period cramps. And you're right that stress can put things off. 5 days is a long time for AF to be late but not unheard of.... I guess since you've been around on here for a while you already know what we're going to say: either test or wait another week.

When you want to be pg but get a BFN it's really hard emotionally but it may be best to get a test anyway, just so you know for sure, and put you out of your misery so to speak.

Also if you are hoping to TTC a bit earlier than previously, you might want to talk to your DP
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:35pm
Hi Konagirl

Thanks heaps for your reply. I'm just not sure what to think. It's very unusual for me to be late and I know we were quite, um, 'active' the last month or so

The town things that make me wonder if I am pg are:
I was pg once nefore about 8 years ago and I lost the baby at about 14 weeks. But I did get pg the first time we tried- ie I came off the pill and didn't even get a period in before I concieved!
Also, I was using Canestan at the start of my cycle- just after my period finihsed and I didn't think of this until today BUT the pharmacist told me to be careful using condoms if we cont'd to have sex while I was using it as it damaged them quite easily.We held off until about day 5 of the 6 day course so now I'm just wondering if there was any truth to that?!
Also DP has been known to not play it entirely safe if you know what I mean....
I know the easist way is to just test... I can remember though from my first time I waited until I was about day 43 or so and even then it was just a very faint line! And at the Dr's then it took ages to come up too. I also wnat a baby very much so don't want to set myself up for failure is all
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 3:43pm
Hi Busymum
Thanks for your advice.
My cramps aren't like period cramps really- that's why I'm confused! They're more like mild twinges/cramps, not the full on 'aaargh I'm giving birth to a rhino' kind of pains
I checked back on my calendar to see what my cycle's been doing the last 6 months or so- and it's been really regular. Am I right in thinking that day 1 is your first day of bleeding (so the start of your period- mine are very light btw, only about 3 days long)- and then when you start your next period, do you count the day before as the final day of your cylce before counting day 1 first day bleed etc? Hope that makes sens. If this is right then my cycles have always been 27-28 days long for at least the last 6 months. I know before then I was tending toward 33 days long cycles but I was working long hours in shift work so think that might have affected them.
Sorry for all the questions but you all seem to know what you're talking about....
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 5:36pm
emmecat....test!

i have no patience at all so i'll be constantly checking here to see what the outcome is so please put me (and alot of others i can tell you) out of my misery

it sounds like you could be pregnant, the symptoms are promising. my cramps i got before i tested for charli were just like period ones, i was so sure AF was coming, but no. so everyone is different.

oh yeah...welcome to ohbaby posting

Gwen_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwen_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 5:38pm
Ditto what vanessa said, Im waiting for your BFP. fingers crossed for you that it is. Welcome to OhBaby
We're in America for 3 months with Mummy and Daddy!

lovingmummyhood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 5:50pm
Test. We want to know!! Oh, and I'm sure you do too
jamesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by funlvn funlvn wrote:

Test. We want to know!! Oh, and I'm sure you do too

Ditto
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by emmecat emmecat wrote:

Am I right in thinking that day 1 is your first day of bleeding (so the start of your period- mine are very light btw, only about 3 days long)- and then when you start your next period, do you count the day before as the final day of your cylce before counting day 1 first day bleed etc?

Yep that's right!

I think you need to test LOL. Even though you don't want to set yourself up for it, well think about it, you already are! (Can you tell I've been in your shoes before lol)

About the m/c - do you know why you m/c? If you are pg it may pay to get an LMC (doc/mw) asap for extra advice on that side of things.
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 7:37am
Fingers crossed you will be joining the March Baby post soon...!!!!

TEST NOW!!!

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 9:15am
Wow! You guys have been busy!
Thank you all so much for your support. Still no sign of AF although the stress levels are still waaaay up so perhaps that's why. I start my study today so think I'll test tomorrow if nothing has turned up! Didn't want to have the result on my plate either way today! Still just feel like AF is very late....so hard to tell when the sypmtoms are exactly the same *mutter mutter* My boobs are about twice their usual size, I'm moodier than I think I"ve ever been in my life, weepy, no sign of AF type cramps....aaargh
Busymum- I think it was you who asked about my previous m/c? No, never found out why it happened- just I know that I thought I was 16 weeks (due to knowing when my ex and I had BD!)and the Dr thought about 13/14. Just had gone for my 2nd scan and they said oh no the baby's dead. Pretty gutting. They told me I could wait to m/c or have a D&C. I chose the latter, it was horrible. Although I must admit, I felt like something had gone badly wrong about a week before my scan and all my friends just brushed my fears off as me being a first time mum. But it felt 'wrong'. If that makes sense?

The whole thing just put me off trying again really, hence my hestitation this time. EIther way its going to be hard. At least my DP is being supportive, albiet a little confused as we've been pretty safe!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 12:22pm
It's pretty tough having m/c, you should join some of the ladies in the post-m/c thread. I didn't have a D&C or a later type m/c so they can be more supportive.

Anyway about 25% of pgs end in m/c which is very sad but hopefully means that you were just one of the unfortunate ones who start off that way, rather than meaning you're susceptible to them. Big hugs and all the best for testing tomorrow - remember to let us know!
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:22pm
Hi everyone

You guys are great and so supportive- thank you

Survived my first day of study, so feeling better about that at least!

I am stressing out a bit about the whole pregnancy thing though. Will definately test tomorrow. Would that be better/more accurate than testing later this afternoon do you think?
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 2:30pm
Your first wee in the morning is the best apparently, strongest concentration of the hormone so try to wait until then!!

Konagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 7:56am
Goodluck Emmecat
Angel babies Mar '04, Oct '08 and Sep '09.
ezza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 8:50am
GOOD LUCK!!
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:11am
WEll I gave into curiousity and tested late yesterday arvo.... BFN!
So I have no clue what is going on. Still no AF, boobs still sore...those cramps come and go- but they don't feel like PMS ones. aaargh I just wonder if I tested too early? I think ladt time I waited until day 43 or something adn even then it was very faint. And I recall going to the Drs a couple of days after that and testing- the nurse actually said 'sorry, it's a negative'...but then it came up positive when we aited a little longer! So perhaps I'm just not one of those women who show up on tests very well? Or of course I may not be pg. My mother thinks it's stress. That's very possible, it's been a huge couple of months altho I don't think my periods ever been THIS late! Certainly the last 6 months it's been bang on time, regardless of job moves, domestic issues (like we all have)....
What do you ladies think??
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:12am
PS: Please excuse my typo's. That's pretty shocking altho it is first thing in the morning!
Gwen_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwen_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:13am
Aww hon im sorry to here that You could way a few day or go to your dr for a blood test

Edited by LillyandElla
We're in America for 3 months with Mummy and Daddy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>