FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNames *

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 8:57am
I never had a middle name so I kept my maiden Surname as my middle name. My id is RIM. All my kids (2) will have my maiden surname as their middle name. As per tradition they will have dad's surname...but they are part of me so they will have to have some thing of mine!!! LOL

Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 11:19am
Maya is MGTIMD. My mum calls her Maya Get 'im coz that's what her middle initials spell hehe.

LOL Lizzle, Marama is one of Maya's middle names!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
preggy_sunflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 1:37pm
I'd really love my baby to have a maori middle name, but am having trouble coming up with a girls name that I like. Any ideas??? I love Tamati for a boy
Joshua Hadynn - Born 3 May 2006
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 6:04pm
Maya's Maori middle names are Te Irirangi Marama which mean the place where heaven and earth meet/ the horizon. they're Ratana church names and her Dad picked them, but I ran them by one of his uncles who is a Ratana minister just to be sure.

We also thought about Rangimarie (peaceful) and Waimarie (peaceful waters) and Te Anahere Pono (another Ratana name, literally translates to True Angel).

If she had been a boy (and if our next child is a boy) he would have Shakur Wiremu John as middle names (after Tupac Shakur my writing inspiration, Wiremu is the Maori form of Willie's name, and John which is a family name on both my Mum and Dad's sides).
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 10:40pm
I like mihi - can'\t remember and aroha - love. I knew some girls at school caqlled both Aroha and Te Aroha. My niece name is Te Aniwa which means the rainbow.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 10:24am
Mihi is greeting. Also Taonga which is treasure, Merekara which is miracle.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 11:00am
Thanks girls :-) They are gorgeous names. My partner was saying this morning that he'd be keen to think of a Maori first name for our baby - I wonder if he/she would get teased being a whitey with a maori name? We both have maori grandparents (my family Te Atiawa, J's family Ngai Tahu) but we are both lilies!!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 1:54pm
My friend's name is Ngaio and I don't think her family has any maori in her at all!!!
She never got teased about it, in fact I can't think of a name that would suit her more.
Her family was quite into maori culture tho and she was in the bilingual unit in primary school and intermediate.

I like her name.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 9:43pm
Maya is a half and half - her Dad is Nga Puhi/Ngati Whatua and I am good old fighting Irish, but she is quite olive skinned so you can definitely see the Maori in her.

We decided not to have a Maori first name because too many people don't pronounce them properly and I am such a nutter about Maori pronunciation. I studied Te Reo at uni up to quite a high level and it really bugs me when some people don't even TRY to pronounce Maori words properly. Willie gets worked up on the RT at his job when some of the dispatchers refer to Tea Iri-ran-gi drive - he growls at them lol!

But I don't think a Maori name on a 'whitey' is such a big deal. There are plenty of people with strong Maori heritage that don't look Maori as such. Culture is carried inside in the heart, not outside.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 12:07am
Jake is maori, raratongan and what ever I am. He isn't very dark but tans even with a ton of sunscreen on. we were considering a maori middle name.but decided againest it, for no other reason than we couldn't think of one we both liked

girls I know
Ngaire
Pareraukawa
Rauhina
Awhina

why don't you check out a website?
faewie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 11:55am
My partner is Maori (Te Rarawa, Ratana faith)and is extremely fair! His boys have such beautiful names Amohia and Takuira, they are family names of their mum. I hadnt thought of any boy names! Tim says that his family don't have girls :P so thats probably why Ive only thought of girl names! lol
For a girl I love Maia Bella Rose,Maia just cause I love it! Bella after Tims Ma and Rose after my ma, but my ma doesnt want the baby to be named "after" her... god knows why... Tim really wants a Maori name so if we have a boy its going to be Kahu after the native hawk, Its alwasy really special when we see them on our travels. There were a couple that hung out around the idol house when I was up there. I want/ed a Maori name that is just as beautiful as his boys names! I also want Colin in there somewhere as thats my daddys name and I think its so cute! hehe

Edited by faewie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 12:26pm
Once again, you guys rock!! I just realised I am a super idiot... my mum's name is Ngaire, and she's of English and Swedish descent!!! White as the proverbial driven stuff!! Easy to forget when you've got mush for brains!! Lovely suggestions, thanks everyone
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:42pm
I just found some maori names I love

Marama
Mere

Eruera
Reihana

Edited by nikkiwhyte
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:45pm
my friends name was neihana - which is nathan, and his brother was takarae...no idea about that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preggy_sunflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 3:51pm
My nephews have maori names - Meihana and Nikora. They're both totally gorgeous and delicious!!
faewie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 4:27pm
My Mums friends son is called Eruera Jack, He gets called EJ and is just learning how to write his name, finding it quite difficult too I might add!! Also my friends brothers name is Wiremu and theres no maori in him at all! Her mum just liked the name. hear hear!
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2005 at 7:47am
One of my best friends called her son Topia (there should be a macron over the o to make it a long sound)

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 2:07pm
Eruera is Maori for Edward and Wiremu is Maori for William.

LOL Faewie, Maya will be a teenager before she can even SAY her full name, let alone spell it hehe.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123