FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedC-section to be confirmed on Monday..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C-section to be confirmed on Monday..
    Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:02pm

hi there

well hopefully this monday coming I will know for sure whether I will be having a c-section or not..

I might be jumping the gun.. but I'm pretty sure I know what my ob will say.

If anyone can please advise me of how I can best prepare myself for my op, (whether this be just mentally or if there are things I need to do in advance) - please fill me in - I would really appreciate your advice!

I have started on the freezer meals after getting some great ideas from a few of you on this site - thanks ladies  I won't have alot of help. Other than dh for the first 2wks.

Will the 2wks dh is home give me enough time to be able to stand on my own 2 feet? I don't have much choice after this. I don't think we will be getting anyone in to help. My mum doesn't live that close & although she can drive out to see me, she is phobic about driving due to a car accident - so she has only ever done so once.

Ps)Is it true that i will have a curtain blocking myself from viewing the actual op? Or do I actually see what is going on?

Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:11pm
Yep you'll have a curtain, I think they have to do that... in my case I was very grateful

2 weeks is fine, you may still be a bit tender and can't stand for long periods but you get used to preparing veges in the morning and cooking in the afternoon/evening - split the job in two like that to make it less standing at a time. It's also easier on you because a little baby tends to sleep more in the morning and feed more in the evenings.

Since you won't have a lot of help - or be able to ask people to come around etc - make sure you don't leave the hospital until you can walk and carry the baby and things like that. I left at just on 4 days because I had the baby blues and I was kinda miserable and I just wanted to go back home and have a cuddle at nights, instead of being on my own at the hospital but in hindsight I should have waited longer, DH was working part-time but didn't really get time off and I needed to do a lot around home. Although my MIL was pretty sweet .

Prep for the c/s - don't stress about it, you won't feel anything. On the practical side of things your mw will be able to give you a couple of brochures (I got two from the hospital, but that was because mine was emergency not elective) and they cover things like what to expect, what you can't do after the op (e.g. reach high, hang washing, drive) and shaving the incision area.
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:34pm
Hey Just Me
You should be fine after 2 weeks. My elective was a much easier recovery than my emergency
Some things which really helped me
*Pillows(tri pillow or feeding pillow) to hold on stomach to laugh, cough & hold baby
*panadol supply at home
*clothes airers to hang out washing
*getting up as soon as poss. after surgery- it helps healing but try not to over do it.
*rest & let visitors "wait" on you
*Water bottle
Thats all i can think of at the moment

Oh & you'll go in for pre-op the day before. Sign consent & talk over any concerns.

Found this cool article yesterday which touched me muchly & i thought i'd share
Caesarean Birthing Your Own Child
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:41pm
Oh yes - if you like the Panadol caps (easier to swallow), buy some beforehand instead of having to have the standard ones at the hospital.
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 9:57pm

thank goodness about the curtain busymum! I was picturing myself lying there watching these surgeons in their uniforms & masks with their scarey scissors out chopping into me.. aarrgh...  

I was hoping to go to birthcare afterwards but I don't think it will be happening now as my ob said I will more than likely be in hospital for a few days.. I hope they will still show me everything in hospital that I was hoping to learn & benefit from by going to birthcare.. I am also not very good at being alone & may well end up feeling blue like you too busymum..

thanks glow, I am glad to know that you're elective was quicker recovery than your emergency because mine will be pretty much planned & not an emergency due to being aware of what is going on in my body already.. I should have it confirmed with a couple of dates next week..

these tips are very helpful

thanks

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 11:54pm
I found that after the first week I was pretty much ok with most housework and things as long as it wasn't too strenuous or made me bend too much. Definitely have a supply of panadol for at least a month. I didn't take it all the time, just after half a day/a day the pain sort of sneaks up on you and then hits you.

It's not that scary. You feel a bit nervous before you go in, but they make you feel really comfortable and at ease and tell you exactly what is happening.

Good luck!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 7:41am
Get a good supply of Arnica spray...it was recommended to me and honestly it rocked! I swear it helped me recover quicker.

justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 1:56pm

Thanks renee, pleased to hear that it isn't that scarey - because I have been feeling a bit of a wuss.. glad to hear they keep you informed along the way too.

Paws, this arnica spray does sound really good. I was trying to find out what brand others have used. What brand did you use? Did you take it prior to the op too?

Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 2:52pm
Justme, you can transfer to Birthcare after a CS, but only if you are ready to transfer within 24 hours of the op. Otherwise you have to stay at the hospital for the full stay.
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 5:40pm

thanks mikaela - my ob said that I can transfer to birthcare as long as I am recovering well from the c-section but he said I should expect to be in hospital at this stage for at least 3 days..

i realise this means wec would lose out of the initial 3day stay subsidy at birthcare due to transferring more than 24hrs after surgery - (this can also be extended to 36hrs as long as you or your lmc make birthcare aware that you need this extension)

dh & I have discussed it & if we still want to go to birthcare for a couple of days afterwards - with this being our first child.. we are willing do it & pay the full fee.

justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:00pm

hey yummy mummies!

I have just had my c-section confirmed for the 1st of august! I'm bit freaked but excited all the same

Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:58pm
YAY for your news Justme
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:08pm
I'm glad you got the news you wanted! Why are you having elective for your first baby?
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:35pm
Congrats and best of luck for the big day.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:48pm
Best of luck on the big day, how exciting
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:06pm
Tried to send you a PM, justme, but your inbox is full!

Anyway, the gist was congratulations on getting your date confirmed! I'm jealous as hell, I'd love to know exactly when bubs is going to arrive
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:40pm

Best of luck!!!

justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:35am

Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

I'm glad you got the news you wanted! Why are you having elective for your first baby?

thanks :) I have an issue with my placenta - it separates into two peices but his linked by blood vessels in the middle & looks like a pair of spectacles pretty much.. birthing naturally is a risk that neither myself or my ob thinks is wise to take.

justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:40am

Originally posted by Mikaela Mikaela wrote:

Tried to send you a PM, justme, but your inbox is full!

Anyway, the gist was congratulations on getting your date confirmed! I'm jealous as hell, I'd love to know exactly when bubs is going to arrive

Oops! thanks, I'll sort my inbox out.. didn't realise it was full 

tis nice knowing when baby is going to be here too.. only thing ob said to be aware of is.. baby wanting to come before the date!.. Would need an emergency caeser then.. but keeping myself calm.. which is no mean feat! Lol!

justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:43am

Thanks glow, lee lee, kels & amy..

Said to dh last night.. we're going to be parents in just over 2 wks pretty much!! He just freaked & said OMG!!!.. errm..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>