FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1st birthdays??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kellverona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellverona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st birthdays??
    Posted: 18 July 2007 at 7:44pm

Just curious to know who makes a big fuss over 1st birthdays?? What do you organise?

I want a birrthday party for Jaxon but not sure if its going to be a big one or just family and a couple of friends with bubs.

Any birthday party ideas?? What did you do??

Sponsored Links

Lissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:05pm
I will be doing one in December, but a friend who's son turned 1 in April had a party.  I booked our rugby clubrooms.  She did finger food, nibbles and drinks and of course cake - it was at 2.30pm until 4.30pm.  They had family and a few friends.  Because there were a few older children they had a treasure hunt, the kids watched Jack open the presents and just ran around and had a great time.  Also lots of photo taking!!!
Harlan Drew DOB: 06.12.06 & Stepmum to Ethan & Christian, DOB: 25.02.99
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:06pm
We don't really do anything for the 1st birthday - our eldest's birthday falls in between Christmas and New Year and that started a tradition LOL. What I've found is that the 1yo tends to get overwhelmed and not understand anyway, so we keep it really low key and go for the 2nd, 3rd birthdays.

My SIL is about to have her DD's first birthday this weekend, she has sent out invites to people "please come to etc etc" then 11.00 is marked "family", 12.00 "babies", 1.00 "friends"... our invite is highlighted for the 11 and 12 slots. She's done this cause she enjoys a party but that way they don't have too many people at once - and it satisfies all the family politics
Lissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:09pm

Busymum: [My SIL is about to have her DD's first birthday this weekend, she has sent out invites to people "please come to etc etc" then 11.00 is marked "family", 12.00 "babies", 1.00 "friends"... our invite is highlighted for the 11 and 12 slots. She's done this cause she enjoys a party but that way they don't have too many people at once - and it satisfies all the family politics [/QUOTE]

That is such a great idea.  Ummm something for me to consider - especially when we have family politics too with my DH's father and mother (who have been seperated for 25 years!!!)

Edited by Lissy
Harlan Drew DOB: 06.12.06 & Stepmum to Ethan & Christian, DOB: 25.02.99
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:34pm
we've just had the family party (both sets of Gransparents and my Sis and her DF) so she had all her big pressies today. She was too over whelmed, I think she loves all the attention from people she doesn't see every day.

We're having a big party for all of her little friends on Saturday and we're going all out for that! You're only 1 once (...and you're only 2 once, and 3 once )
Birthdays are a big thing in my family, not so much for DH's side
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:45pm
We had a small (had to be small due to the size of our lounge!!!) morning tea for Ashlee's birthday and had some of her little friends around. We went all out for the joint antenatal party that was organised so didn't want to do too much more.

Ashlee decided that she'd rather go down for a nap rather than open presents in the middle of her morning tea. The next day, we had a small afternoon tea for the family. I'm quite pleased we didn't go any bigger than that! I'd love to go all out for something for her when she's older and understands and appreciates it more.
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 8:27am
Originally posted by BellaBabysMum BellaBabysMum wrote:

I think its more a party for the parents having survived the first year LOL

couldn't agree more
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:44am

For my first birthday I had a huge party but it was also my parents wedding reception as well (a year later). I had all the extended family there (all up about 100 people) I got presents from most people there as it was mostly about me.

For Andrew we had a BBQ lunch with all the family (that bothered to come - my sister came over from London, BIL came down from Hamilton but the BIL from Palmy never made it not that I was too worried can't stand him) and Andrew's friend from birth (Holly is 3 weeks younger than Andrew). It was more about us making it through the first year. We also had a small daycare party where we took in a cake and had cake with the other children there (have now done this for 3 years) it was a lot of fun.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:37am
We had a huge bash for Emma Rose's first birthday, with about 60 guests. It was really cool and heaps of fun, but I don't think I'd ever do it again as it was so much work. I did the majority of the food myself and it took days and days to prepare all of it, as well as to decorate the house and get everything set up. I agree that it was more about us surviving the first year of parenthood -- we really just wanted to celebrate with everyone who had been so supportive of us during that first year, and we put "no gifts, please" on the invitation as WE wanted to do something for THEM for a change. It was definitely a party to remember, but like I said, exhausting. Next time I want to celebrate a milestone birthday, I'll either do it on a WAY smaller scale, or will get it catered!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:53am
ask roksana! she had an AWESOME party for Zaara.

For Jake we were still in Japan so had a combined farewell party and happy birthday for Jake. I made all the food and we had about 20-30 guests, iuncluding my japanese teacher and her little girl. we would have invited Jake's daycare but having parties is kinda strange in Japan and the message didn't wuite get across. the actual day of is birthday we went to the temple (the see no evil etc monkey temple), and bought a blessing for him. not that i'm buddhist but seemed appropriate at the time.
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 7:26pm
We're not doing anything for Alyssa's 1st (coming up in a week or so), which my best friend is just disgusted at!! haha I'll bake a cake and take photos with just the family including nana but nothing much. Might take her out somewhere if the weather is nice.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 8:33pm
For Kiya's first birthday (late March) I organised a teddy-bear's picnic. We had watermelon, cake and water at a playground and the kids just played! Very low key, and lots of fun.

For Josiah's first birthday (early May) we met up with Nat's parents in Taupo. We had a picnic at the park, then went to the AC Baths for a swim. Josiah loves the bath, so we took him to a big one! We tried to organise it for a weekend when my family and Nat's brother and family could come too, but it didn't work out in the end (other commitments, and my brother broke his toe a day or two before so couldn't swim).

Not sure what we'll do for Xavier's first birthday (mid November) yet... especially as we'll be living in Wellington and our families are in the BOP, and we'll be heading up there at Christmas. In another couple of months he'll start really showing what he's into, so we'll probably base it around that.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
 Post Reply Post Reply