FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPhysical work and pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Physical work and pregnancy
    Posted: 20 September 2009 at 10:29pm

As this is my first pregnancy, I naturally have a lot of questions, I was hoping to get a little bit of feed back from you ladies that have been there and done that before.

How long can you keep doing physical work during pregnancy? I'm relativly fit and healthy, and have had a trouble free pregnancy to date (I didn't even get any morning sickness). I'm 26 weeks pregnat and my job as a hydraladda driver involves standing on a steel platform elevated above the ground for up to 10 hours a day (6 days a week), where I have to reach and stretch picking fruit. However lately I have been starting to feel very tired, and have noticed that my ankles are a little puffy after a days work (the puffyness never lasts long and after an hour or two off my feet the swelling has pretty much gone)  I've had a blood test and my blood pressure taken recently and all appears to be well. I'm very reluctant to give up my job as it pays very well and we really need the money.

Would continuing to work have any adverse effect on my growing baby? or should I start thinking about cutting my hours back? or should I ignore the tiredness and keep working as long as I continue to keep good health?

Sponsored Links

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 6:42am

Personally I think you get tired cause you body is working over time as it is trying to keep you going and grow a bub.

I'm not sure about adverse effects on bub, but anything that is making you tired and uncomfortable isn't that great for baby in my opinion.

I would look at trying to cut back your hours at least.

But in saying that, many women manage to work right through to about 36-38 weeks with no problems.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 6:50am
I think the best thing you can do is listen to your body, if it feels fine then you are probably fine to continue but if you are finding it all a bit too much then you should probably look at reducing your days or at least you hours (actually less hours each day might be better than less days) and perhaps plan to take your PPL early, you can start it as early as 34 weeks.
I did a physical job with me first and I ended up stopping at 32 weeks cos I got sciatica, when first pregnant I planned to work till 38 weeks and then as I got fatter and fatter and more and more uncomfortable I brought the date earlier and earlier and then ended up using annual leave to leave even earlier still. Was a good thing in my case as I ended up in hospital at 35 weeks cos my waters ruptured. (not saying you will have a medical problem, just that you can never tell, my pregnancy had been simple up until that day)

Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 7:35am
I agree just listen to your body, sounds like its starting to tell you to cut back a little. I reakon try and cut down the hours you work each day, but you will probably find that eventually you will have just had enough and wanna stop anyway. Good luck and congrats!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 8:03am
Its recommended you cut down on stretching upwards too far/much when you get to a certain point in your pregnancy anyway I think though I could be wrong but you might find you struggle to pick the fruit as you get abit further on and your stomach objects to stretching anymore than it already is.
Anyway I agree with the others - consider cutting down your hours. Try walking on the spot while you're standing there too just to keep things circulating. Its probably the type of job you have thats causing an issue not your health.
Good luck and welcome to OB
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 8:34am
Yeah babe it's third trimester you have to be careful not to over stretch, our yoga teacher always had those in third trimester do slightly different positions and no arms above head stuff. The relaxin means you can stretch and stretch very well which is great for labour but you need to be careful when pregnant cos you can over stretch and cause yourself a lasting injury

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 8:51am
Yeah thats what I thought I remembered so thanks for clarifying that!
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 7:22am

Thanks you for the feed back ladies it's very much appreciated, after a talk with my midwife she suggested a one day on, one day off, to give me a day to recover in between. My boss is happier with this idea, as he has a part employee that is looking for more work and will do the days I have off.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 9:09am
That's cool that you have it sorted and that your work are being accomodating. Makes all the difference when they are on board. Mine were really good and let me do some work from home and gave me some office work to do, and never said anything if they found me standing in front of the AC trying to cool off..lol

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:15am
Glad you have it sorted Zasha
 Post Reply Post Reply