FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPre-eclampsia genetic link?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-eclampsia genetic link?
    Posted: 16 October 2009 at 10:12pm

Just wondering if any of you happen to know if pre-eclampsia has a genetic link?

I'm very curious about this as both my mum and my sister suffered from it during there first pregnancy and needed to be induced. I currently don't have any problems although I'm starting to wonder if I'm likely to suffer from pre-eclampsia like my mum and my sister. Any one know what the odds would be?

Sponsored Links

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 11:02pm
I had it but neither my mum or sister had it with either of their pregnancies...

I had not heard of there being a genetic link.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 11:58am

My mum had it with her pregancies and I had it with both of mine. I think there is a genetic link somehow.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 12:29pm
I had it but no-one else in my family has had it.

I did alot of research in to PE when I got pregnant with #2 and none of the research articles I read mention a genetic link. The articles I read where all thru medical journals etc so not just good old google.

There are a lot of risk factors for PE so it is possible that Mums/daughters/sisters have common risk factors anyway e.g high BP prior to preg etc which maybe why genetic links have been mentioned.

According to most stats if you have it with your first preg you have a 15% chance of getting it a second time.

Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 2:22pm
I think the theory is that if your mum/sister/or other relative had it then you are more likely to be pre-disposed to developing it as well. They think there are also other risk factors such as certain ethnicity groups being more likely etc etc. But then again if there is no family history or other factors, first time pregnancies are always a higher risk factor anyway. I come from a part Maori background (higher risk group apparently) on my mum's side, my mum never had it and she doesn't recall if her mum/sisters ever had it. My sister was pregnant a couple of years before I was with my first, and she developed pre pre-eclampsia i.e. slightly elevated BP and trace protein, was monitored, but didn't actually develop pre-eclampsia. I on the other hand have never had high BP pre-pregnancy, my BP was normal/slightly low up until last MW check at 28 weeks with my first, then at 30 weeks it all went pear-shaped in a great hurry when I developed sudden onset severe PE. With no real family history of it, or pre-existing high BP, the Drs were stumped as to why it developed so quickly out of nowhere. Now I'm into my 2nd pregnancy and being monitored very closely, on meds, regular growth scans etc, even though the Drs reckon I'm less likely to get it this time round. But my other sister (no children yet) is now considered to be high risk factor so when she gets pregnant she will have to be closely monitored, and my daughters will have a higher chance of developing it now.

Missed MC July 2011
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 2:42pm
I had it and had to be induced but no other family members had it.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 4:02pm
I had pre PE(but had to be induced due to protein, low platelets and other issues ) and noone else in my family with it but high BP is in family..not a single doc or OB mentioned genetic link to me.. but they did mention it being more likely first baby and also less likely with second baby with same man..

Edited by Four_eyes
Mum to two amazing boys!
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 10:12pm
My mum and one of my four sisters had it, so I was considered high risk for it. I had the swelling and protein present, but never the high BP, so didn't get it. My other 3 sisters didn't either
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 10:32am

Hmmm So it looks like I certainly could be at higer risk taking into account, my family history and I've had high blood pressure problem for the past 7 years, strangely enough when I got pregnant my BP problems dissapeared.

Post Reply Post Reply