FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHospital or birthing centre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:43pm
A bit off topic here but Kellz, I see your DD is named Isla That is what we are going to be calling our wee bubba, I love the name!
Sponsored Links

crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 1:52pm
babybaby - i birthed my son at Nat Womens in Auckland Hospital and it was good. Large rooms with everything you need, had a birthing pool and beautiful views of the waterfront out to Rangitoto. You can view it online somehow, they have a virtual tour i think. Try this link,
http://www.adhb.govt.nz/NWHealthInfo/GynaecologyServices/gynae%20written%20info/NW%20tour.wmv

And i was pretty anti having a baby there so if i thought it was good then it's probably great lol.

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by nzlisajo nzlisajo wrote:

A bit off topic here but Kellz, I see your DD is named Isla That is what we are going to be calling our wee bubba, I love the name!

Isla is a very cool name! It was virtually unhead of when we had her- we got lots of 'oh thats an interesting name' comments, and heaps of people calling her IS-La or Eyes-la, but now its much more popular. We love it and it totally suits her!
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 4:26pm
Kellz - come to think of it, probably half an hour before her baby sister was born Erin just bowled on in to the bedroom to ask me if she could wear her fairy dress... but I muttered something and left that to DH to sort out, but again she didn't bat an eyelid and just trotted off to play dressups.

I really wanted to emphasise for her how normal birth is, to be able to see it with her own eyes whether she remembers it or not (we took loads of photos), so that she has that experience with her when / if she has her own children.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 5:51pm
Kellz, we were a bit worried that people wouldnt know how to pronounce the name but so far everyone has known it is 'eye-lah' except one person who thought it might be Ish-lah. Only reason he thought that is cause my DP is Irish so I think he thought it was an Irish name so had to pronounce it funny lol I have never known anyone by the name Isla but it's amazing how many people know someone with a DD by that name. I just like it cause it's an anogram of my name... Lisa
I will stop interrupting this thread with off topic things now... sorry ladies!
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 7:00pm
We are going to the hospital for a few reasons. Its alot closer to home (5 mins) than the birthing centre and I would rather be there just incase. Hospitals dont freak me out (I work in one!) but if you arent sure your midwife should be able to take you around the delivery suite and maternity ward. You do need to feel comfortable though.

busybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 8:16am
i suppose you have to ask yourself what is the risk and worse case scenario of both options and go for the one whose risks you are willing to live with. personally i won't be able to live with myself if something went wrong and I was home with no help. a friend's baby's cord was around his neck....she would not have known that if she did not have medical help. another's baby was breach, she would not have known that either.
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 8:22am
Cords around babies necks are not uncommon, a friend of mine birthed at home and simply unwound the cord from her babes neck as that's all a midwife would have done.

Breech vaginal births are not impossible either, they are just becoming less and less common.

However (and I am guilty here too) this is not a discussion about the "risks" of homebirth, I believe the OP was asking about hospital vs birth centre.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 12:43pm
OT -I've loved the name Isla since Isla Fisher played Shannon on Home and away yearrrrrs ago .
Its easy to pronounce, its Island without the nd

As for original question , I think you'll find there are people with strong opinions for either side, so ultimately , it comes down to what YOU feel most comfortable with , its your birth .

Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 7:12pm

Yeah I realise people have there opinions and thats cool, it's only by their experiences that people are able to give advise to us newbies. 

After the MW apointment today I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to get a choice in the matter, my MW said if my BP doesn't stabilise I'm going to end up in hospital pretty soon

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 9:55pm
Oh thats a bit sucky Zasha, I have heard that the birthing centre at Waihi is great, and I'd love to go there to give birth.
But I found the new maternity ward at Tga Hospital are nice and the staff are good, I even found the food ok. They have 2 birthing pools and really nice rooms.
In saying that I was there for 5 days post birth and man was I ready to get out.
Also girls in my antenatal class found it hard to be in a double room with another mother and baby and most left as soon as they could.
Good luck in the next couple of weeks

Edited by JoJames
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12