FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWellington Hospital (and Kenepuru)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zaylah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaylah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington Hospital (and Kenepuru)
    Posted: 09 February 2010 at 11:48am
It's way too early for me to be asking questions like this, but I hate having unanswered questions lurking around and I have been wanting to know since before we started trying for baby! I've googled for hours and come up with nothing.

What is supplied by the hospital for you/baby while you are there?
(eg nappies, pads, etc)

Are there waterbirth facilities at the hospital?

Other than toiletries, clothes for yourself, clothes for baby, what do you need to take to the hospital?

Is Kenepuru hospital only used if Wellington is full, or do Porirua residents go there?
(we are in Tawa so curious to know)

Anything else I should know about Wellington / Kenepuru hospital?

If anyone else has other questions relating to these hospitals, feel free to tag them onto this post!
Sponsored Links

Bberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 12:09pm
Hi there,

Wellington Hospital doesn't provide nappies, pads or baby clothes - you need to take all these items with you. They will provide formula if you request some for your baby.

I believe most of the labour rooms have baths.

You can opt to deliver at Kenepuru providing your pregnancy is uncomplicated and you expect to have a straight-forward birth. They are not equipped out there to deal with c-sections etc and I'm not even sure if they do epidurals - someone else may know?

However, you can deliver at Wellington Hospital and transfer out to Kenepuru for a few days after the birth. I did this (despite having a c-section) and can thoroughly recommend it. The rooms are lovely and spacious, the ward is quiet, the midwives are AMAZING and the food is great.    
Zaylah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaylah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 12:32pm
Thanks for the reply Bberry. Good to know.
I've been told I'll need a paedeatrician at the birth for baby, I'm assuming that means I'll have to be at Wellington? Anyone know? Would love to be at Kenepuru if I can be!
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 12:32pm
I was given pads at Wgtn hospital so that may just depend on your midwife - I did only get one pack of ten though so you definitely need some of your own if you are planning on staying more than a day.

Both Wgtn and Kene are equipped for waterbirths. I hopped in the bath at Wgtn after I'd given birth and it was fantastic!!

Like Bberry said, you can opt for either Wgtn or Kene if the expectation is a straightforward birth. Kenepuru only has access to pethedine and gas for pain relief - and you would have to transfer to Wgtn via ambulance if it became necessary to have a c section.

I haven't been to Kenepuru's delivery unit but I've heard it's lovely. There is a bit more space out there and I think they are happy to have partners stay longer etc etc. I work in Wgtn so I'm not at all bothered by hospitals so I found the delivery suite at Wgtn great (although I was only there for a very short time). The post natal wards are just plain old boring wards - nothing particularly special about those.

Um...in terms of what you need to take, there is a great list on here somewhere. I never made it to hospital the first time, and the second was only there a few hours so I think it depends on how long you are planning to be there. Several sets of baby clothes and clothes for you, pads, breast pads (if you're planning to BF), things to keep you entertained (either in labour or afterwards)...I would just google and see what comes up - there are loads of lists out there. You'll soon see what you feel like taking and there will be other things you're not fussed about.
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 12:58pm
you need to take everything with you for wellington hospital...from clothes to dress your baby in from the moment they are born...to blankets for the bassinett, pads, nappies absolutley everything.

and as long as kene isnt full you can transfer out, but you need to let your midwife know thats what you wnat to do as the places go quickly

Zaylah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaylah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 1:10pm
Loving the replies, thanks!
So glad you mentioned blankets for baby, I NEVER would have thought to take them along! Prob would have taken a dreamswaddle, but nothing else!
What about towels for first bath?
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Zaylah Zaylah wrote:

It's way too early for me to be asking questions like this, but I hate having unanswered questions lurking around and I have been wanting to know since before we started trying for baby! I've googled for hours and come up with nothing.

(eg nappies, pads, etc)

Other than toiletries, clothes for yourself, clothes for baby, what do you need to take to the hospital?

Is Kenepuru hospital only used if Wellington is full, or do Porirua residents go there?

If anyone else has other questions relating to these hospitals, feel free to tag them onto this post!

Hi I haven't birthed yet but I am thinking of birthing at Wellington and then transferring to Kenepuru after, so I'll answer your questions as best as I can from discussions I've had with my mw, etc.

Nope you can choose to birth at which ever one you like!! I'll be birthing at Wellington as Kenepuru doesn't have epidurals (not sure if I'd like one or not but would at least like the option), also should something go wrong (e.g need a c-section) it would save me having to be transferred in an ambulance from Kenepuru to Wellington as Kenepuru doesn't have those facilities apparently.

My antenatal class tutor and mw have both recommended transferring to Kenepuru after birthing at Wellington as the mw's at Kenepuru are a bit more helpful and less busy than at Wellington - so if you have issues re bf-ing they can help but at Wellington they're a bit busy with the mums that have had c-secs, etc.

Some people recommend taking food, so I'll also be taking some crackers should I want a snack, some lollypops and some drinks.
For me (and I've probably over packed but I'd rather be over packed than under packed) I've got a bag for baby with her clothes, a towel and 'bathing stuff' and I also have bubs nappy bag for changes. In my bag I've got my snacks, clothes for coming home in, nighties, something to birth in, toiletries, pads, nipple pads, undies galore and thats it so far!

(eg nappies, pads, etc)
Maternity pads and nappies although apparently you are expected to take your own. Oh and meals whilst you stay there.
You'll need to take something to birth in though because they don't give you anything apparently!

You can water birth at Kenepuru, I think if you want to water birth at Wellington you need to let them know in advance but that is something you'll have to check with your mw.

Hope that helps...
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 5:33pm
I just had my baby in wellington hosp and they did give me pads, they even threw a couple of packs at me when i was leaving
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:24pm
I just did the tour tonight with a group of ladies who use the same MW group as me....
I totally recommend talking to your MW and seeing when they do them, really interesting!!!
I dont know so much about Kene, but know they only do the softer drugs there and you have to be expecting a straight forward delivery.
Wgtn, every room has water birth facilities, if not a pool a MASSIVE bath (that 2 of you can fit in), the gas is portable and monitors are waterproof. There is a private ensuite, with dual shower head.
Meals are provided post delivery, but only breakfast, lunch and dinner. Any other snacks you need to take with you (dinner is at 6pm, breakfast at 8am, so a long time inbetween!) or get DH to drop off. They give you pads, the hospital (so I was told by them) use cloth, so would need to bring your own nappies to take bubs home in, You take what you birth in (MW suggested one of DHs old tshirts and a lava lava), Your MW should give you a list of what to take that you need to take for you and bubs. Dontforget to take some snacks for DH and other support people you might have there. (dont forget the carseat!)
You can transfer to Kene 2 hours post delivery, or go home then or go to the post delivery ward... (provided everything is good)

Ummmmm I think thats all I can add??

+1 May 09 Angel
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:33pm
Oh yeah talked to my mw today about possibly having a water birth at Wellington, you don't need to let them know in advance but you can only fully water birth providing everything is going according to plan, e.g bubs isn't distressed and everything is progressing nicely!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:39pm
Here is a link to a hospital bag check list (from OB) it looks pretty detailed! right down to the lipbalm!!

Oh good to know Nicole.. i figured it would be hard to let them know in advance, but you never know!

Oh Wgtn you can takea CD for music as tehy have a comp you can play it through. Also have a gazillion power points so you can plug the lappy in!

Edited by Emmi_

+1 May 09 Angel
 Post Reply Post Reply