FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedco-sleeping: seven babies die

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:50am
This is so sad. I hope that the parents have had a lot of support.

I've only co-slept on occasion with my kids (usually when they've been unsettled), and like Kelly it's because of selfish reasons - I love sleep and I find it hard to sleep with a baby in the bed.

I like the idea of co-sleeping though and I think a lot of it comes down to common sense. I don't think sleeping in a single bed with twins is common sense.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Sponsored Links

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 1:36pm
Yeah, i really hope they've got and had a lot of support, how awful

I have to say tho , that despite being a selfish sleeper, if i had too with this baby , i would have no problem co sleeping occasionally , heck whatever works and lets you both get some sleep .
Besides.....if I can put up with DF and his blardy snoring , I can put up with anything now ...tho I guess I wont be able to kick the baby in the shins ....

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 8:30pm
omg thats so scary.
I am 100% against co-sleeping, for that reason. Caden was always always in his own bed, and he always sleeps really well, the only time he comes into our bed is in the morning when we are all awake.

I just could never forgive myself if I rolled onto him or something, the thought scares the crap out of me.

SuperDaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 9:30pm
We still on the odd occassion have Issy sleep with us.

Well Issy sleeps and we gets kicked in the chest alot with her big feet

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 12:51pm
lol SD.
Im also on the selfish side where my bed is MY bed lol.

rorylex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorylex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 1:06pm
we co slept the 2nd half of the night when they would stir as i mastered breastfeeding while lying down and they just went back to sleep, I would stay awake while feeding and then move then so they werent in a position to be rolled on, some times i would move them to the bassinet but i found they slept longer while cosleeping neither of us a smokers nor do we drink and we dont have them in the middle of the bed if i feed them of the side that put them in the middle of the bed i would move them back to the other side. mason co slept til 3mths when he stopped breastfeeding and moved to his own room. I found co sleeping from the start helped avoid sleep deprivation as i only had to wake for a few minutes and it was usually at 5am, they all just happened to be good sleepers. i found i was always aware of there prsence i mean they are all in there own rooms but i wake to the slightest noise that comes from either one of them.

i didnt do any research i just did what i felt comfertable doing.
it is sad and very horrible thing for a parent to go through there must be alot of guilt going through these parents minds.
though co sleeping with twins in a single bed is very silly thing to do i wouldnt do it in any size bed.

the article states that some of the babies were slept on there tummys and some on pillows, had they been in there own bed the same out come would have followed right?
unless i miss read it.
when we co slept we had a space clear for baby so no one could roll on him or where blankets could end up over his face.
we only have one pillow each and dp has his up against the wall and mine is pulled over which left mason with about half a metre of his own space and he had a side of a shelf beside him so he couldnt roll off the bed and he got swaddled and slept next to my heads so he couldnt be rolled on and for the sheets to cover him the would have to cover my face 1st.

Edited by rorylex
Mummy to 4 boys
Samuel - 18.6.05
Rory - 15.7.06
Mason - 13.06.08
Emmett - 24.01.10
Baby #5 - cooking
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 5:42am
What a sad story!!

I co slept with both my kids from the start and I was always so concious of them being there that I didn't even move position slightly while asleep. They always slept much better in bed with me and it made feeding so easy... sometimes I'd wake to my wee one having a snack!!

I did lots of reading about it when deciding to cosleep and I read a really interesting book which talked about cosleeping practices around the world and lower rates of sids with cosleeping populations (as someone mentioned earlier). It also talked about research showing that even while asleep mothers continue to provide care for there children, responding to babies whimpers etc whilst not fully concious.

I don't think my DF had the same awareness of baby in the bed and therefore, she always slept on my side - or DF on the couch
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2009 at 12:03pm
There's risks having them in bed and risks with not, either way it's horrific! I couldn't co-sleep as i'm a very grumpy girl wth less than 8 hours sleep, lol!
I'll sleep with DD now though and have in the past if we go away or if she's sick but I hardly sleep when she's with me.

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12