FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBio Oil and the Perineum (some TMI)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
2boysnbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2boysnbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bio Oil and the Perineum (some TMI)
    Posted: 20 July 2009 at 1:18pm

Hi all. have been instructed to get my Perineum ready for the pending birth of #2 baby... i didnt tear with the last birth but being that i am having a homebirth the midwife doesnt want to use too many interventions ie episiotomy etc if really really needed. would it be ok to put Bio-Oil down there when massaging the area? or should i stick with good old oil?

what are others using?

DS1 (20.11.06) 5 years
DS2 (15.09.09) 2 years
Sponsored Links

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 1:37pm
I wouldn't use bio oil because of the chemicals in it on that area, apricot kernal oil would be really good for the job, or you could use good old KY.
Katep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 1:46pm
No I wouldn't use bio oli either...it's more expensive too. I used good old KY...although I only did it once as did not like it.

Mum to the Gorgeous Leah!
              7 months
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 4:19pm
I used the Almond Oil that I had bought the baby for baby massages after it was born. It is a lightly textured oil and is completely natural so thought it was "safe" for down there lol!
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 5:38pm
Any kind of natural oil should be ok, e.g almond, olive, apricot etc.

sassysas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassysas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 6:30pm
Ive been using good old Olive Oil!
Due 11 Aug with first baby
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 7:53pm
Light Olive Oil is okay or Sweet Almond Oil.
2boysnbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2boysnbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 8:49pm
Thanks ladies- this is good to know :-)
DS1 (20.11.06) 5 years
DS2 (15.09.09) 2 years
DonnaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 1:21pm
Ha - that is a good question Tracy, glad I found this on the forum. I was going to just use Baby Oil but guess that has as many chems in it as Bio Oil so will grab myself a big bottle of Olive Oil..
Guess it wouldn't matter if it were Pams or Lupo's..??? LOL

Good luck with the perinium massage..! I tore last time sadly so trying it too.. MW recommended a device called an Epi No but $200 out of our budget..!
Katep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 1:39pm
I would pay $200 to not tear the way I did!!!

Mum to the Gorgeous Leah!
              7 months
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 3:47pm
How often do you need to do it?
Tigerish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 11:29pm
I've been recommended to do it twice a day from 34 weeks.

Aquarius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 1:45pm
gosh its hard to do...
not the easiest place to get to..i use bio oil.. it is dear but worth it..may have chemicals but i can honestly say i eat worse

mum to mr 16 & mr 10
SaffronLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaffronLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 2:10pm
Stick with natural oils if you can - flaxseed is another one that has not been mentioned already.

I have been given information with a "how to" guide by our natural birthing teacher. There must be heaps of info on the net though. I havn't started yet but i think it mentions a slow sweeping motion from side to side - about your thumbs length inside. and slight pressure. DH is a bit unsure about possibly hurting me but overall is really looking forward to experimenting !! Boys aye!
 Post Reply Post Reply