FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDad’s to stay away from the delivery room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2009 at 3:18pm
My Dh was useless, he was green during my elective c/s with Spencer, but did get to have first cuddles and go over to see him being weighed/cleaned etc. With Kyle he nearly fainted when the guy came to do the epi and then when it got to the pushing stage (and my epi had worn off) he ended up sitting on the floor at the head end of the bed and was unable to help me in anyway. I don't think him being there made my birth longer or more stressful and he was a help in the earlier stages but at the same time he wasn't a calming influence or a rock to lean on etc.

He actually didn't want to be at either birth and only came cos I told him he had to, he made himself physically ill and I feel pretty bad about it now. However we have no family out here and I didn't/don't feel close enough to anyone else to want them to see me in labour but my mw with Kyle was so awesome that on reflection I would have been happy if DH had been outside and came in once baby was out and I was somewhat cleaned up that way he could have still had cuddles within a few mins of the birth.
But you don't know till you are there and my mw with Spencer was useless and I would have hated it if DH had left me alone (me mw didn't come to Spencer's birth).

But yeah in the article it is a bit sweeping and I think it depends on the husband or couple as to what works best.

Sponsored Links

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:19am
I'd be lost without him, he had to be there.
I have anxiety, he's the only person who can really deal with that if something goes wrong.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:14am
For us, DH wanted to be there and I wanted him there. During Ollie's labour he had a to leave at one point to go get something to eat and I definitely felt more anxious without him there.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 1:49pm
I was just thinking about this the other day, if something happened and DH couldnt be with me at the birth of our next baby, I dont know how I would do it. In saying that, when I was in labour with DS, DH was FANTASTIC!!! But I think I came to rely on him too much. When things started getting complicated, and labour was going backwards, I had to turn things around and rely entirely on myself to get things going again. My mw said afterwards that if I had continued to rely on DH to try and make me feel better I would have ended up being transferred for a c-sect. Instead I had a beautiful calm natural birth (with no drugs!!!)

But it really is something that someone has a right to tell you who should be there and who shouldnt, it is a very personal situation!!

DD Savannah 18.01.04
DS Austin 04.09.08
babybaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 6:50pm
I definitely will have him there for me when our baby is due. I would be so nervous without him there waiting to cut the cord .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12