FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhere do I start!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do I start!?!
    Posted: 16 February 2011 at 9:49am
I am considering using cloth nappies but I have no idea where to start.

There are so many brands and types. I almost feel like using disposables because it seems too overwhelming.

I dont what to buy heaps of cloth nappies and find they are the wrong ones.

What should I be looking for in a cloth nappy? Any recommendations or things to consider?

HELP!
Due 14/10/11
Sponsored Links

BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:23am

Firstly Congrats!!!

Go to snazzipantsand click on products. That will give you some start info with pictures etc

I would recommend a prefold system, which is like old school flat cloth square that you folded and pinned. Except without the pins. And you put a waterproof cover over the top. THis is the cheapest way and one of the best IMO!!

Have you read the Nappy systems on the main cloth nappy page.

HTH and doesn't swamp you with too much info.

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:33am
Thanks. That snazzi pants website is awesome. It doesn't seem so scary now!
Due 14/10/11
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 11:51am
Oh and check out the ohbaby newborn nappy hire kit!! If that one isn't available when you're due, there are others around, there is a list on The Nappy Network somewhere. Or the lady who sells minky on Sella does hire kits, search for Minky Heaven. congrats on your pregnancy, and cloth nappies are the best
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 12:50pm
I think tweedle.co.nz do a nappy hire kit too.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 8:03pm
I was coming in to recommend the ohbaby hirekit too. It was great at helping me figure it all out.

Otherwise some retailers do nappy parties where they'll show you all the options etc. Or collect a few you think you might like of trademe and try them before you buy heaps.

Prefolds and covers (snazzipants sell them) are great for newborns.

It really is daunting when you first start looking, but do keep looking cos eventually you figure it out and then it's easy and awesome
Tweedle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 2:11pm
Where are you located?
Mum to Ellie, Dylan & Lauren
kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 4:12pm
I am in Auckland (south central).
Due 14/10/11
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2011 at 4:59pm
Ask your council as well - some of the old 'auckland' councils used to do hire kits, so not sure what the story is now.
Also Jan at Yoyo nappy does a newborn hire kit which I loved - you get to try a few different types, and her nappies are great. My favourites were fitted bamboo fleece nappies with covers, as they were totally bombproof for those liquid newborn super-poos!
And see if you can get some info from Kate Meads, 'the nappy lady' - she has her own website now. Waitakere City Council have a great booklet that they sent out with their hire kit which goes through all the basics - different kinds, what they are all good for, how to choose what's right for you, etc (like - is drying time going to be an issue? or stopping leaks? etc etc)
 Post Reply Post Reply