FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGazillion questions-Help appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gazillion questions-Help appreciated!
    Posted: 20 May 2009 at 12:29pm
Hey Ladies,

Right, now that I have had a while to let our news sink in I am going into 'planning mode'!

I have a few questions that you may be able to answer if possible?
We did ask questions at our appointment but I think I was in shock because nothing made sense to me!

Questions I have are:
1. How does the public funding work?

2. Does the funding cover EVERYTHING!? Are there any extras we will need to pay for we should know about? Do they refund Fertility costs to date or is it only for the actualy procedure itself?

3. We have been told to expect approx an 18 month wait in Akl - Have people found that to be about right or did it come around quicker or were there delays?

4. In the big scheme of things this sounds ridiculously trivial, but how much does it hurt? I'm 100% totally & stupidly scared of needles and as stupid as it sounds, this one one of my concerns! Lucky I have 18 months to get over that, or try!

4. If we have any freezable eggs, what is the process with them should Cycle 1 of ICSI be unsuccessful?

5. If we are successful Cycle 1 of ICSI does that mean we are required to privately fund the next round should we want to TTC Baby no 2?

6. From start to finish, how long does each cycle take?

7. Is anyone going through F.A Akl?

8. Does anyone know where I can find info on adoption processes and info for in NZ?

I think thats it for now. I feel like a complete moron but this is totally new to us - Is there a "ICSI for Dummies' book out there yet?

Thanks in advance & good luck to everyone else in this thread

Edited by Parki
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:18pm

number 8 you can go to CYFS they have an adoption section you can talk to.

As for the rest, I am sorry I don't know.

's to you thou.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
BILLIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:10pm
Hi Parki,

I am new at this too so can't answer too many questions for you sorry, but here goes

No. 1   http://www.fertilityassociates.co.nz/Paying-for-treatment/Public-funding-and-eligibility.aspx

The above should take you to FA website and explain the critera and points system.

No. 3 Not sure about the wait in Auck but in Wellington DH and I have had to wait 8 mths, originally it was 10 mths. We start in June 09

Hope this helps

All the best
ScaredyCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScaredyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:58pm
Hi Parki,

I can answer a few for you although we went through the Hamilton branch of FA so not sure on the waiting list for Auckland, ours was approx 10 months.

1. Public funding is worked out a points basis, I am not sure how they are worked out though, you do have to meet certain criteria, ie non smoker, trying for certain amount of time etc.

2. I have just done one round of Public Funded and everything was covered except for my first lot of scans and some tests done through the Dr, didn't equate to much though.

3. not sure sorry re Auckland

4. I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt but the amount of pain is only very minimal and a very short amount of time at EC. Needles etc terrified me too but over it now, and would do it again in a heartbeat if have too.

5. I have just started a TER (thawed embryo transfer) today so not 100% sure whats going to happen just yet, but have started taking some pills and have transfer in a couple of weeks, easy peasy!!

6. Length of time varies from person to person and how well you react to the drugs etc and also what type of IVF they want you to do, to give you some idea we started in Dec last year and had pregnancy test mid February.

7. No, Hamilton

8. Sorry haven't looked into adoption .... yet!

Wish you all the best, hope eveything goes smoothly for you.

Take care
TTC # 1 - 7.5 years
2 x IVF - 4 x Trf
3 x BFP's
3 x M/c Feb 09June 10Sept 11
2 Blasties on Ice
Sarahlou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarahlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:02pm

1. If you go onto the Fertility Assicociates website it explains all the funding regulations there.

2. My DH and I got prublic funding... and we havent had to pay a cent.... drugs, scans (at Fert Ass) etc...

4. Im pretty sure everyone has a different experience... mine wasnt so flash (the egg harvesting part) but my sister in law has done it as well and she bearly felt a thing... I also think that it depends on the amount of eggs your ovaries produce...we got 21 and it was very painful and my SIL only had 3 and didnt feel much at all... but in saying that it does only last 15mins MAX!

4. every egg that is to the quality they need will be fertilized on the day of harvesting... some will bet let to continue on till day3. Once fertilized succesfully they will be frozen and then thawed as required at a later date.

5. Hmmm not 100% on this one... we got preg from our 1st TER but sadly lost bubs at 23 1/2 weeks and we have bee told that every one of those eggs retreived and frozen from that public funded cycle will be under public funding. So not sure on that you you concieve and baby survives....sorry.

6. Yeap like ScardeyCat said... it varies from person to person....some respond well to drugs and other dont.

7. Sorry we are going through Hamilton too.

And dont be silly about all the questions...you dont know unless you ask! Another good idea is to talk to the counseller that the clinic provides... they know all the ins and outs of all the questions you have just asked..this is no charge im sure of that!

Good Luck!
Sarahlou

Post Reply Post Reply