FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDairy alternatives for baby and me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dairy alternatives for baby and me
    Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:21am
DD has an intolerance to dairy all the classic signs - runny nose and eyes, farty, burpy and upset tummy if she has anything with it in.

I want to take dairy out of her diet and mine until she's older what can I give her instead.

We both have rice milk and I use olivani as a spread.
I also have ice cream and cheese - are there alternatives to this we can have.

I have given her soy milk in her farex and this seems to be ok.

What other good sources of calcium can I give her - she doesn't have any teeth yet and wondered if this is a consequence.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:47am
So Good so a Soy ice cream and it's pretty good.

There is a soy cheese but it's over priced and

Broccoli and almonds are high in calcium.
You can get an Organic Almond butter from the supermarket which I prefer to peanut butter.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 2:25pm
I used goats feta cheese for myself if we wanted a cheesy meal.

I found it was just easier to avoid using cheese & ice-cream. As the soy alternatives didn't taste that great & I found that I had issues with soy as well.

If you look on www.safe.co.nz they have a section with lots of cheeses that are non dairy. Budget marg is also dairy free.

I also tend to use Oatmilk in baking as it's far nicer, the only downfall is that it's not got the protein content of ricemilk.

The teeth won't have anything to do with the dairy issue.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 4:31pm
I'll avoid cheese where I can and use alternatives for flavour and meals.

Is there anything nutritionally that dairy provides that I can't get elsewhere?

I'm still bf DD and going to continue as long as I can so at least she'll be getting that source of nutrition.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 4:36pm
I think the biggest benefit of dairy is calcium so I think as long as you are finding other ways to get that then its not a problem. I worry about that too with my son not having any dairy, but he seems really healthy. I just try to give him as much variety as possible within his limited diet with the things he can have.

Soy yoghurt is nice enough, my bub liked it but he seemed intolerant to it but I am going to try it again to be sure as he was also refluxy at that stage, and also I heard someone say you can make 'ice cream' using banana and freezing it, not sure exactly how but its somewhere on this site. You could have frozen yoghurt instead of icecream if they do a soy one? Or have sorbet/iceblocks instead of icecream?

Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 5:47pm
I was thinking sorbet for myself. I got some probiotics for DD, will see how they go. thanks for the suggestion wiggly jiggly

[/url]

Angel June 2012
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 7:45pm
Litelicks soy icecream chocolate flavour is ok. I didn't like anything else I tried.

I also took a calcium supplement when BF and dairy free.

And don't worry about the teeth, that's still well within normal and definitely not dairy related
 Post Reply Post Reply