FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedneocate formula

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymummi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neocate formula
    Posted: 15 September 2011 at 1:57pm
hi, i have just been told we need to switch to neocate formula due to a posible dairy allergy. Im just wonder if anyone else has had to switch to this and how their child coped with the change? My daughter is not drinking anywhere near as much as she was b4 the switch, she is nearly 4 months old and still just has formula. just want to hear from some other people......
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 2:25pm
Reduce the amount of scoops in the bottle. When we changed we started off with twice as many bottle but half the scoops in each. So basically we worked out what his intake for the day needed to be & bases on half strength bottles worked out how many he'd then need. Then I upped it by a scoop a bottle a day til we got to 7 out of 8 scoops. He'd not cope with a full strength bottle.

It does say on the container recommended scoops or what is advised. I joined the neocate babies yahoo group to help me out. There are some very wise ladies on there.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 8:54pm
AandCsmum, what's the rational for doing half scoops? My baby has recently started on it too.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:27pm
You need to work out their tolerance level. Some babies are more sensitive than others.

ie one of the ladies I read was upping the amount per bottle by 1 scoop a day, not like how I did it via 1 scooper per bottle for every bottle of the day.
Kel

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:27pm
Some info for you guys, copied from Docs on the neocatekids yahoo group.

NUTRITONAL BREAKDOWN OF ELEMENTAL FORMULA

This was given to me by Anna Swain who had just completed the nutritional
breakdown/conversion of 240 mls of Neocate/Elecare

so a 240 ml bottle of Neocate/Elecare is the equivalent of

30 grams meat + 1 teaspoon oil OR 1/2 cup lentils + 2 teaspoons oil

+
1 potato OR 1/3 cup rice OR 1/2 cup pasta OR 1 slice bread

+
1/2 to 1 cup veges OR 1 pear

+
1 Fab trical ca +++
1/2 fab trical ca +++ OR 1 cup rice milk

so when you look at it nutritionally its no doubt a lot better than
most kids are eating.
Kel

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:40pm
Going back over the emails I kept it's also about what they'll drink. Ideally you want them to drink the whole bottle and not fuss over it. So if they're fussing & refusing it as my boy was, then that is also a way to get them "used" to drinking it.

I think at the time my boy needed to have 24 scoops if he was having food & 30 without. So that meant he was having about 8 bottles a day to start with. He now has 3 bottles which is 21 scoops, obviously still doesn't each much food. He doesn't sustain weight gain without it.
Kel

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 9:06am
My son switched to neocate at 4 months, he was a bit reluctant at first because he had to sort of un-learn that bottle=pain and puking. So it took a week or so but then he started drinking the amount he was supposed to. I have always given the suggested amount on the tin, I was giving him 180ml every 3-4 hours at first, now he gets 210 ml 2-3 times a day. For us, neocate was like magic, we had a changed baby afterwards who would actually drink his milk, before he would fight, refuse, and it was a constant battle to get him to have it. I know some people have tried sweetening the neocate slightly, I guess that's a personal choice whether you're ok with doing that or not, but I guess if it helps baby to get used to it and drink more then maybe it's worth it. What you could also do is start to offer some baby rice (watties and simply organic are dairy free, but farex isn't) or pear or something like that. When I told my paed baby was refusing bottles before we were granted funding for neocate, he said to give more solids, so that at least he had something. Maybe if while you're worried about how much she's drinking you can give something extra as well to be sure she's not going hungry. I know she's 4 months, but that was the age my bub was when the paed said to do it. Good luck and I hope it's as helpful to you as it has been for us

Edited by wiggly_jiggly
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
busymummi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 5:02pm
aandcsmum how did you know how much ur child was supposed to be having? i was just given the script for it and told to stop using karicare and that was it....no advise no anything.
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 5:17pm
busymummi, it's on the side of the tin. They do it by age/weight.

AandCsmum, thanks for the info. That's really interesting!

Post Reply Post Reply