FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMissed miscarriage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missed miscarriage
    Posted: 19 July 2007 at 8:33am
Hey girls

I had my 12 week scan yesterday and have had a missed miscarriage baby was just over 7 weeks pretty guttered but trying not to get upset about it, just feel now that I want to move on and try again, I think if Im scared if I get to upset im going to be upset for ages if that makes sense? ahhh it sucks!!!!

Anyway I am going to the hospital today to line up with all the other ladies! the midwife said they will explain the options of letting it happen naturally (even though it hasnt in the 5 weeks its been dead) or have a D&C..I was wondering who has had a D&C or who has chosen the various options and what can I expect?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 8:35am
Another question...Ive still had the majority of pregnancy symptoms including tiredness how long does it take for them to go away?
KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:38am
Hey Kye,

As you were reasonably far along, you might have the symptoms for a little while longer. You'll still feel a bit pregnant until your hormone levels return to normal. It's pretty cruel huh?

I was 'lucky' in the respect that after I found out, I started a natural miscarriage really soon. I had to have tests afterward to make sure it was complete. I didn't have to have a D&C but from what I hear these days they are pretty efficient at getting it all sorted and without too many side effects. I think if you haven't miscarried naturally in the last four weeks, that a D&C is probably the way to go, otherwise it could just drag on and I am sure that would be upsetting. I found it really hard to let go until I knew it was all over.

Try not to bottle things in. We all have different ways of coping, but if you feel like having a cry/rant/scream then you should just do it - it will help.

Big loves.

Edited by Laurie
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:43am
They should start going away soon as once you have the D&C the hormones will start leaving your body.
I had a scan at 10 weeks which is when they found out my babies had stopped developing, I had no bleeding nothing so would never have known anything was wrong. I chose to have a D&C because i wanted it over and done with and like you figured if it hadnt happened in the 4 weeks since they had stopped developing I didnt think it was going to happen anytime soon.
On the morning I went in there were about 5 of us having them done. We all waited and one by one we got the drip put in and then taken to a room to wait. It wasnt as bad as I thought although in saying that I kept my eyes closed from the minute i got on the bed till they put me out. When i woke up they just made sure i was ok, gave me something to eat and then sent me home.
Good luck!
JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 10:16am
Im so sorry to hear about your loss Kye.

I had a missed mc quite a few years ago and it was awful. I would go for the D&C because at least then you can prepare yourself & DH for it. Mine started to come away naturally and it was terribly painful...like labour. My DH took me to the emergency dept where they did their "invasive" tests...and I was given pain relief. When I actually went in for the D&C the following morning, the nurses and everyone was really lovely. They put me to sleep and the next thing I remember was waking up. I didn't any physical pain after that.
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 1:59pm
Kye

I was the same the baby had stoped growing 3 weeks previously but I found out when I started bleeding and then had a scan. I would agree if you haven't started bleeding I would go and have the D & C. I wanted it to happen naturally but if your body will not let you then let the doctors do it and from what I've heard in here babies after D & C's are very quick in coming!!

Sending you healing wishes

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 2:14pm
Hey there Kye, I had the same thing happen sorta, back in april, however i had my scan pretty much the day or day before the baby's heart possibly stopped beating so we saw a perfect bub with no little heartbeat.. sucked completely. I never started bleeding, or anything and was like you, still having heaps of preg symptoms. I chose to have a D&C as my body was showing no signs of catching on any time soon to the fact that baby wasn't ok. I thought it would mean things were over quicker, and was actually petrified of miscarrying naturally, even though i knew baby was gone that was the last thing i wanted to have to go through was actually all the bleeding etc.   The D&C wasn't too bad really, and it took a few days for emotional side of things to catch up to me but it's ok to be upset, and ok for it to all just flow and keep going etc when you cry.. as i've learnt if you bottle it up it comes back at you later when you wish you were over it already. After a few little probs with clots etc, I guess really physically i was ok again pretty quick.

sounds silly but good luck with your decision and big hugs, sometimes, while its horrible to know that some of us here have been through it, it makes you feel a tiny better just to now you're not alone, there's others who have been where you are, be in a decade ago, a year ago or a week ago.   Hugs
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 3:59pm
Hey again Kye - as I said in the TTC thread, I was in the same boat as you 3 months ago. Although I had just started to bleed the day or two before my 12 week scan (along with some cramps) so I was prepared for bad news at the ultrasound.
I was booked into hospital the next day and had the procedure which, in itself, was fine and the obstetrician and nurses were so lovely and caring there. (At Chch Women's hosp).
I had the D&C/ERPOC as I was far enough along and I just wanted it 'out and over' so I could start again.

PM me if you have any other questions etc!
My thoughts are with you and your partner at this sad time.

emma

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2007 at 5:27pm
Thanks girls for all your thoughts and advice I went to North Shore hospital on Thursday arvo and the Doctor recommended I have the D&C since it had been 5 weeks and said if I didnt have it she would send me home with antibiotics, which I thought didnt sound to good, so decided to go with the D&C which I had yesterday and stayed down in Auckland the night and got back home this afternoon.

Im really glad that I had it as I felt pretty horrid yesterday after it, but the bleeding is really light and just have on and off again period type pain, so not as bad as I thought, I think waiting for it to naturally happen would have been horrible, and who knows when it would have happened.

I havent got to emotional yet, I am more angry really that Ive been lead down the garden path for 5 weeks thinking little bubs was still growing etc

The Dr said I may get really emotional when my hormone levels start dropping and for me I think when we start ttc again and my issues with having pcos thats when it will get me, when I realise Im "back to the drawing board" so to speak and also when your friends decide to have a family and fall straight away!!!!

we have friends that had a bub last week, we are supose to go and visit them next weekend, but I dont think I am ready for that!!!

Do you girls know how long it takes for things to return to normal after a D&C? so things happen quicker after a D&C rather than natural miscarrage with respect to fertility etc?
spicey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 2:28pm
hi kye, i had a miscarriage as well at 9 weeks and had the D & C last friday. It was so quick i have to say. Have been up and down with my emotions and have picked myself up on thursday.  My friends have had babies this week as well and it is hard but happy for them. My manager brought in his 2 month old baby on wednesday and asked if i wanted a cuddle and i said no, as i was not ready. I would have been in tears actually. I had only one day of bleeding after the D & C and that was it. Have had cramps though but apparently that is normal. The cramps have subsided now. I waited for two weeks after i found out i was having a miscarriage as my GP thought it might come out naturally but in the end it didnt. I am glad i did do the D & C
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2007 at 8:41pm
It is very hard when people all around you are suddenly falling preg or announcing or just everywhere seems to be full of big beautiful bellies. My little sis is due in a couple of weeks now, am still unsure how i will be around her and baby. after getting back a week after D&C, 2 ladies at my work have announced they are preg.. both about the same as i would have been which is hard cos i see them at the milestones i kinda think i should have been at. but mostly am ok with things. good lucka nd hope things go much quicker for you guys the 2nd time around once you are ready.

tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 12:56pm
Thanks girls
Im feeling ok, going to focus on exercise and weight loss until we go to fiji in 7 weeks which will help keep my mind of things hopfully! and hopefully in that time AF may arrive and we can start ttc again
flair View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 8:35am
Hi Kye,
My thoughts are with you hun - sorry I am late with my condolenses

How exciting that you are heading to Fiji soon, will be lovely to catch some sun

Take care luv
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 7:48pm
Hey Kye - glad you're starting to feel better! Good on you for getting something to take your mind off things - I have done the same and thought that seem I wasn't pg anymore, that was an excuse to get my body back into tip-top shape, so have been going to the gym and loving having a flat tummy as it might be the last time it might be this way! (although I cant wait for one day soon a bubba growing healthy inside!)

Awesome that you are going to Fiji - we went their on our honeymoon in January/Febraury (thats where our angel was concieved I think!)
Keep up the postive thoughts!

hugs,
em
xxx

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 7:48pm
spicey - hope you are feeling better after your D&C too!

thinking of you all!

em

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 8:33pm
Thanks Emachan and Flair exercise went out the window when I found out I was pregnant so will be nice to get back into it and try and loose a few kg for fiji maybe we will concieve again in fiji.. nice to have something to look forward to and focus on
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 9:34pm
Ha, I'm doing the same, since mike's samples have come back clear and it's obvious that well, that's it for me i thought darn it, ih ave had far too many months of sitting around on my bum feeling sorry for myself.. if i anit gonna be preggers again then i'm gonna get fitter, and get rid of all that mummy fat off my thighs and tummy. It wasn't there after paris, it was fairly ok after Ayja, but with breastfeeding her for so long, and eating enough to sustain us both.. i kept doing that once i stopped feeding ayja and am now at least 10 kilos heavier than before i had her. time for that to come off and get back to being me again. lol not saying i want to get rid of all reminders of being a mummy, I need to get back to being a yummy mummy. pmsl

Edited by mum2paris

spicey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spicey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2007 at 1:05pm
i am doing heaps better. Am going to start going to the gym as well as i am going on holiday to bali in 7 weeks time. BTW, what does TTC mean?
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2007 at 1:29pm
TTC means trying to conceive.

Post Reply Post Reply