FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest mince recipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best mince recipes
    Posted: 07 June 2007 at 10:35am
Hey all. I am not sure what to make for dinner tonight, might end up doing a shepherds pie.

Care to share your best mince recipes :)

Tara

Sponsored Links

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 2:01pm
Hey Tara,
I posted a recipe the other night - Cowboy Casserole. My husband and son loved it.. I don't eat mince but they assured me it was yummy.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 2:13pm
I have mince out for tonight as well. I think I'm going to make it rather plain for a change, tomato paste and a bit of onion, put it in some pastry and serve it with mashed potatoes and peas.

Sometimes I like to make mince with carrot and kumara grated and peas put in it as well, serve it with potatoes (mashed or just plain boiled), make it all double and then you can assemble a shepherd's pie for a "night off" tomorrow night (or back in the freezer)
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 2:23pm

The other great thing to do with mince is make home-made burgers or meatballs.

Meatballs can be 'spiced' depending on what else you want to cook with them...I often do Morrocan Meatballs with couscous (just throw mince, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, garlic and morrocan spices in blitzer then shape into balls, and bake in oven on greaseproof paper) with a tomatoe sauce....or you can do the same sort of thing but with italian / mexican seasoning....up to you!

They always go down well in this house...I often do them with different sorts of mince too (thai chicken ones are great for parties!!)

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 3:49pm
These are all great ideas. Keep em coming :)

When I do my shepherds pie, its generally a kumera and potato mash, the mince filling and whatever vegies, sometimes i add a layer of brocolli, more kumera and potato mash topped off with pom poms on top with cheese. DF loves it when I flavour the mince using one of those Nacho Mince packet stuff.

DF doesn't finish work until 8.30pm, so I still have time to decided. They all sound yummy!

Edited by ladyluck

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:31pm
We usually do spaghetti bolognaise - mince with tomato pasta sauce, spinach and just cook up some pasta. Sooo easy and quick. But the other night we had an alternative that was so yummy.

Cooked up the mince as usual, and the pasta, but served up less than usual on a plate (usually have in a shallow dish bowl thing). Cottage cheese on the side, and a salad of thickly sliced tomato/cucumber/capsicum. Was really nice and felt a lot healthier than our usual! And the quickest dinner ever.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:49pm
Spag & Meatballs

For the meatballs
500 g lean beef mince
3 slices of bread made into crumbs
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp salt
½ onion finely chopped

For the sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 400 g cans of tomatoes chopped
½ onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 courgette chopped into small pieces
½ red capsicum chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp beef stock powder
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
Fresh or dried spaghetti for 4 people

In a bowl combine the first 5 ingredients, work the mixture with your hands and form it into meatballs.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the meatballs and brown quickly. Remove them from the pan and add the onion and garlic, courgette and capsicum. Cook the vegetables allowing them to soften, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any ingredients adhering to the bottom of the pan. Pour in the tomatoes, add the tomato paste, beef stock powder sugar and oregano. Simmer gently stirring for 2-3 minutes. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer gently, uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve with Cooked spaghetti noodles.

Cooks Tip: You can add other vegetables to the sauce if you want or if your family don't cope with chunky sauces, puree the sauce before returning the meatballs to the pan.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 10:07am
I do a basic mince recipe - mince, diced veges (onion, capsicum, mushroom, courgette etc) with canned tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs and seasoning. I add kidney beans if we are doing burritos, taco's, nachos etc or keep it as is for lasagna/bolognese.

We do home made hamburgers lots in summer and I do spag and meatballs in the crockpot over winter (open a can of watties canned tomatoes pesto into the crockpot, drop in balls of lean mince). Good quality mince doesn't crumble so I don't make up patties for burgers or meatballs, just shape them and cook them.
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 10:34am
Meatloaf - this is soooo yummy!

750g lean beef mince
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
thyme
parsley
salt & pepper
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs
4 Tbsp Worschesire sauce (bad s/p? )
400g Watties Indian Tomatoes
7-8 pc streaky bacon

Mix mince, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, salt & pepper. Add 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and 2 eggs and knead by hand. Add Worschesire sauce and tomatoes. Mix thoroughly (it is quite sloppy - don't worry) and leave in the fridge for about an hour. Take out, shape like a meatloaf or put into oiled tin, wrap around it the bacon rashers and bake at 180C degrees for about 1 hour. Serve with peas & mashed potato

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 1:37pm
Bump!

mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 5:43pm
Lasange is always good i tend to do a big dish and then freeze some for lunches.

I use
1 pkt wide lasange depending on what brand is on special boiled till almost soft

500gms mince
1 tin tomatoes
1 tin of pasta sauce
cook these 3 together

Cheese sauce
45gms butter
2 T flour
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c cheese

Then layer it in a baking dish and Heat through in oven. Pretty simple but Dh likes it

Otherwise spag boll, or meatballs like the other ladies
Also Nachos mix the mince with a tin of chilli beans then put on chips top with cheese melt in microwave and pop some sour cream on top
hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 6:04pm
Mexicali Lasagne (this is so YUMMY)

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking: 40 mins
Serves 4-6

* I use the El-Paso tortilla wraps

Ingredients

2 tsp oil
500g lean beef mince
1 onion, diced
1 capsicum, diced
420g can Wattie's Mild Chilli Beans
1 Tbsp Wattie's Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
250g cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to sprinkle
1 pkt Bazaar Traditional Roti
1 pottle Wattie's Guacamole, defrosted

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease a round deep oven proof dish.

2. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown mince. Add onion and capsicum and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.

3. Stir in Wattie’s Mild Chilli Beans, tomato paste and parsley and cook for a further 10 minutes.

4. In a bowl beat together the cheeses and set aside.

5. Lay 1 Bazaar Traditional Roti in the dish and add 1⁄4 of the mince mix, continue layering until all of the mince is used up. Place half of the cheese mix on the last mince layer and place another roti on top. Spread the remaining cheese mix and place the fi nal roti on top. Brush a little oil on top and sprinkle with a little extra cheese.

6. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.

7. Serve with Wattie’s Guacamole and a green salad.

Post Reply Post Reply