FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilk Spots, Hormone spots or Excema

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 11:01am
ooh good luck.
yip doin the probiotics- i mix it in his bottle.
we in dunedin.
Sponsored Links

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:15pm
Okay, at the risk of this being a silly question - what are the probiotics, what do they do, and where do you get them from?
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 8:37am
From a health store or pharmacy, just ask for a powdered one and tell them it's for a baby. They help boost the good bacteria in the gut, a lack of good bacteria can make eczema worse. Spencer was born by c/s so the paed said that he wouldn't have been exposed to the right bacteria at birth (babies are designed to ingest some of the mums poo at birth and that combined with colostrum sets the gut up properly with the needed bacteria). Our paed had me taking probiotics during third trimester with Kyle and whilst breastfeeding and to put Kyle on it from birth as well. His eczema has only ever been mild, so hopefully it's helping. He was a VBAC as well so most likely got the right bacteria.

Probiotics are what you get in yoghurt, just in the powder or tablets they are in higher concentrates.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 8:40am
Oh and this is a good way to explain it ANTIbiotics...kill bacteria, they kill it all though even the good stuff (unfortunate but the only way to do it), whereas PRObiotics do the opposite and replace/boost that lost good bacteria.
In the US they prescribe probiotics alongside antibiotics for that reason. Although I probably haven't correctly medically explained it

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 9:42pm
Thanks for that, that's what I thought it was! Just wasn't aware probiotics could help excema. Might be worth a try!
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 10:03pm
The thing with eczema (and other symptoms) is its an immune response to foreign substances in the body/blood, one example- when we ingest and digest food etc, if it isnt digested properly or we cant tolerate it, it leaks through the gut wall and the immune respose is triggered. SO- probiotics help with digestion, further aiding in minimising 'leakage' from the gut. Environmental and contact allergies enter the body other ways- but probiotics help with food allergies.

Another analogy-Babies' stomach wall is like a very 'wide mesh' (for lack of a better analogy)... in the first few weeks, the wall is strengthened, and the mesh becomes smaller. less escapes through it. Though sometimes babies (and adults) can have allergies where they cant digest the small particles that can still fit through the mesh... causing the immune response. Ussually milk proteins (or other protiens), and lactose sugars.

I am not a doctor- that is my understanding of it.

Always a good idea to look after the immune system...works on so many levels, not just when we are sick.

I use this stuff but give him 1/8th teaspoon twice a day in his bottle. (cos Locky is only 2 mths) Sun Ray in the Centre City Mall are good to talk to Jen.

Edited by KitKat
Spedel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spedel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 9:01am
Allergy results came back, she is allergic to milk, egg white, wheat, soy bean, cod and peanuts. I have to cut those out of my diet if I want to continue feeding her. Hopefully by doing this her eczema and dry skin will improve. We battle the most with the dry skin. Have to go and see paeds and dietician...
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 3:39pm
WOW!
how old is she????
was that all determined from a blood test???

Strange how she is allergic to cod! And SUPER bummer about the peanuts- tricky one.

How are you doing>???
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 4:37pm
Spencer is allergic to peanuts but only mild (or so the doc thinks from the test, he's never actually had a peanut) so it's not always a mega bad one to come up, I know I sh*t myself when his came up and the doc was like "nah, he'll just get rashy and have a sore tum, you won't need to phone 111"

Kitkat they can skin prick test (not as bad as it sounds as it's not really a prick more a small scratch, not even bad enough to leave a mark) but most docs don't do it until 12 months as it can be inaccurate under that age, I think false negatives.

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 6:39pm
Ah right...
I remember a friend doing a scratch test on my arm a few years back- to see if I was still allergic to bananas (itd been a few years since i touched them- given that my throat swells if I do!) Anyways- we rubbed banana on the scratch on my arm- and my whole are swelled up!!! pretty freaky.

My bro is allergic to most raw fruit, and carrots, and nuts, and coconut. And prawns. I cant keep up w him.

Id love to get Locks tested.... do you just ask the doc???
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 7:07pm
Our allergy doc did it for us but you can go to medlab and have them done, not sure if you need a referal for that though and they might not do it this young as the results aren't accurate till 12 months.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12