FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat are you feeding your baby?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you feeding your baby?
    Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:47am
We're just starting to get into solids now, we've had 3 days of quite a few teaspoons so I'm starting to think about what we'll do once we're on two or three meals a day and making sure he's getting a good variety.

Do you have a particular system with what you feed at particular meals? For example do you do something like baby cereal/rice for breakie, fruit for lunch and veges for dinner? What about meat? Do you give that every day?

Is there any reason to give certain foods at certain times?

What foods have you found mix nicely together?

If there's any good websites you can point me to that would be cool too, seems I've read up heaps and heaps on lots of other baby topics but now that we're starting solids I don't really know a lot and I guess I'm the type of person that likes to be armed with lots of info rather than just going with the flow

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 8:18pm
baby led weaning is an awesome way to feed your baby... if you are going to research feeding you should at least look at that. gil rapley wrote a book on it and lots of the ladies on here have read and used it. i did it with my third child and it was so much easier! My two year old now tries to cut up her own food! her fine motor skills really benefitted from it too.

meat isnt essential till they get a bit older but isnt needed every day and you dont need much... i did give cereal to start with the older two but not for long.   babies dont really care when they get what and you can mix things you wouldnt normally for yourself.

jessiesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessiesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:30am
I found "Cooking for you child" by Nicola Galloway was brilliant. She's a kiwi so the veges and fruits are relevant. Also she pays particular attention to reducing allergies so has a good guide to when certain foods should be started.

DD 2007, Angel Baby 2009, DS 2010
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 2:54pm
We just winged it....

Introduced a new food every few days, then started doing combos. I usually did cereal or fruit for breakfast, fruit/custard/yogurt for lunch, and casseroles for dinner.

He loved kumara, kumara and apple, banana and avocado, roast chicken dinners (roast chicken, pumpkin, kumara, potato, carrot pureed with a bit of water) and beef casseroles.
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:27pm

Alison Holst does a cookbook called 'Baby food and beyond'. I like looking through it for ideas and is all about making your own food for baby.

Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:55am
We did lots of vege purees, boiling or steaming pumpkin and potato or kumera. You can mix kumera and apple if you like. Later on we added meat (after 6 months) of chicken or mince all pureed with veges. Or you can add lentils for protein.

We now do cereal and fruit for breakfast, veges and protein for lunch and then whatever veges or mac cheese or spag bog or something we are having for tea.

Angel baby - May 2008
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:16am
A brilliant website is wholesome baby food

Under the section foods for baby, is a listing of each food & what they go well with.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 9:17am
Thats a great link! Im startng to wonder whether DS is ready for solids and its good to have some straight forward info.

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 11:20am
We completely winged it. We did purees alot when small now she eats whatever when ever. I still have to spoon feed her puree/cereals at 10months but she does eat alot of other stuff like bits of potato etc.

annabelkarmel has some good recipes not that I've ever used them. Plunket should give you a guide on what babies can eat at different stages (not that I followed that much either)

Post Reply Post Reply