FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWant to wean but refusing a bottle...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to wean but refusing a bottle...
    Posted: 04 April 2011 at 3:48pm
Hi

Have BF DS for a year now (woohoo!) but now he is biting and I want to wean. I have tried all sorts to get him to stop biting but he hasn't stopped. Grr. Also want to stop BFing to restore my energy etc).

Anyways, how do you wean when he flatly refuses a bottle, doesn't matter what's in it...EBM/water or regular milk. He only wants to be BF.

Should I just persevere with BFing? Or do you mums have any tips for how to go about this?

TIA
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 5:43pm
dont bother with bottles for a start... get a cup.

sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 5:56pm
we have bottles with hard spouts on them but he don't want those either...do you mean cup like an adult would use?
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 7:16pm
DD was using a proper cup by that age so I'd definitely try that.

Is she eating enough yoghurt, cheese etc that she doesn't need the milk replaced?

Can you use some other form of distraction from BF and offer milk at another time, rather than as a substitute for a BF?
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 8:17pm
I put Jody on the bottle at 13 months. Tried all sorts of tricks from 12 months and, like your wee man, she flatly refused everything. So every evening, when she'd usually have a BF, I'd hand her the bottle with warm cow's milk in it (just because it's cheaper and easier than EBM so not so frustrating to waste!). She usually just played with it.
DH sometimes had luck if I wasn't home.

Then one day, she just snatched it off me and gulped the whole lot!

I have no idea why she grabbed it like she'd always drank from a bottle, maybe she'd seen a baby using a bottle, maybe she was just starving! But I think the very relaxed approach certainly helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply