FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen to cut out feeds??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
niquey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niquey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to cut out feeds??
    Posted: 19 October 2011 at 4:21pm
Hi, I'm totally confused so am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me.

DD is 10 months old and BF'ing 4 times per day. At what point do I cut this down? I'm assuming I next cut out the day feeds, but I'm not sure whether this should be sooner or later? And do I need to replace them with cows milk/formula or will water/snacks suffice? If I'm still feeding her first thing in the morning and last thing at night will she need any extra milk?

Is it ok to put her onto cows milk once she's 1 year? or would a toddler formula be better?

I can't seem to find any information about this.. everyone just says 'every baby is different, do what's right for you'.

I'm happy to keep feeding her for a while longer if that's what is going to be best, but she strikes me as the type of baby who'll keep feeding indefinitely unless I encourage her otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your help =)
Sponsored Links

Tan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 4:34pm
Hi there,

I find LLL are really good at giving advice on anything to do with feeding!
I have a almost 6 month old son and a 10 year old daughter. I breast fed my 10 year old daughter until she weaned herself at about 14 months. By that stage she was only having a morning and night feed. I didn't supplement her feeds with any thing else and I didn't use a toddler formula. She had either breast milk or water as she didn't like cows milk. She was getting enough calcium from her food.
With my daughter she reduced her day feeds from about 12 months as she wasn't so keen on them.
It depends on how keen your daughter is on the day feeds. Perhaps keep going with the breast feeding and then in another couple of months try missing a day feed and see how she reacts?

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 5:30pm
For me I have just gone with the flow, I had no intentions of weaning DD, its up to her when she wants to finish. She was still having 4/5 feeds a day up until about a month ago where she only has 3/4 now. She doesnt have cows milk or any sort of formula as she eats a wide varied diet. As Tan1 suggest I would have a chat to your local LLL

Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 5:38pm
I used The Contented Little Baby books as a guide with my twins so at 10 months they were down to 3 feeds/day.
Morning, mid afternoon and evening. They soon dropped the afternoon one of their own accord and I replaced it with a snack.

It is ok to give them cows milk from 12 months. I've chosen to use Toddler milk cos my girls are picky eaters and only eat such small amounts that I like knowing the toddler milk has added nutrients like iron.

My thoughts are if you are BFing morning and night she wouldn't "need" cows milk as well but it wouldn't hurt to introduce it.
niquey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niquey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 8:23am
Thanks very much for all the advice, I think I'll continue as we are for now and see whether she drops one of the day feeds herself, otherwise I think I'll start reducing them gradually in a month or two.

It's good to know I'm on the right track, cheers =)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 8:58am
Have you switched to food first before a b/f? She'll naturally start taking a lesser amount as she eats more food.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 11:03am
We went with the flow too, still feeding at 20 months but she has dropped her feeds naturally and now feeds once or twice a week... Why are we still going you ask? Tbh I'm not sure but we'll see how things go as she is slowly losing interest.
 Post Reply Post Reply