FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI need some input ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some input ...
    Posted: 11 May 2006 at 1:56pm
Hello chicky babes ...

I need some help/advice/input from you all ...

You all know that I have a new niece (daughter of my brother in law and sister in law). She's 4 weeks on Friday. Obviously, being my niece, I have a big place in my heart for her.

The thing is, I have been TTC for 11 cycles. Next week, I'll be on cycle 12. I feel really ...sad, I guess, and disappointed, and a little hopeless and a bit angry at this stage, and I try continually to keep those feelings under control, but most of you know how they get away on you sometimes - particularly when AF is due, and you know she's coming.

Between my MIL and my SIL I get text messages almost daily, and pxt and video messages about every other day of my niece. I love seeing how she's growing, and I don't want them to cut me out of the loop. But, its hard too, because I haven't managed to get pregnant. Other than the miscarriage of course. And even then, only a couple of days after my M/C my MIL and SIL sent me a pxt of her big pregnant tummy saying 'What do you think? 11 lber?" ...Not something I wanted right after a M/C, after 9 cycles! I think once the novelty has worn off, it might be different - but it's hard. I text my MIL the other day to say I'd just been out to lunch and had a gorgeous time, and she text me back, no mention of lunch, to tell me something about my niece.

The thing is, my MIL doesn't think, and my SIL, well, I like to think that she means well, but she has a history of being competitive with me (for eg. when she bought a second engagement ring, the first thing she did was text and tell me it was bigger than mine!), but then she is young - she's only just turned 21 this week.

So ...some words of wisdom ...? Any words at all really! 'Get over it' are the ones on repeat in my head at the mo
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 2:19pm
Yeah, I suppose you could say "get over it", and your SIL has a right to be excited over her little one, but you also have a right to feel a little upset at their insensitivity to your feelings. Do they know you are TTC? I have no idea what to do in that situation however. Sorry can't be of any help!
MILF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 2:29pm
arrrgh! i just typed a novel, and when i submitted it my computer timed out... i cant be arsed retyping it just yet.
ginger i dont think you are out of line here, you are going through a really tough time, and you should never have to apologise for the way you feel. that only makes things worse for you, you end up thinking about things way too much, picking at your emotions and not letting things go. Vent away girl, vent away. At least we can be subjective, and competely on your side!
Lyla - mum to

Xanthe - my big 4 year old
and
Jordis - 1 year old
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 2:32pm
AAAGGHHH!!! I wrote something... then my computer decided to log me out and I lost it! Take 2...

While "get over it" may be part of what you need to hear , don't be too hard on yourself! You may simply need time and space to grieve, both for the miscarriage and for all the unsuccessful cycles.

I get the impression your MIL and SIL are so wrapped up in the novelty and newness of your niece that they may not be aware of how insensitive they are being.

Just remember: soon it'll be your turn to send that belly pxt to them asking them to guess the size of your little bundle! And we are all here for you to vent to whenever you need to!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 3:01pm
I know how you feel Ginger as I have been trying for 22 months and have never had a pregnancy.
It is hard, and other people's good news of pregnancies and new births can be heart wrenching. However, I know in my case that the worst thing in the world would be for my friends and family to not share their good news with me to 'protect' my feelings. I think other people do sympathise with my situation, but unless you've been there, it is impossible to understand it completely. I have stopped expecting people to be able to put themselves in my shoes, as they just can't. I just hold on to the faith that eventually it will be my turn (and yours ) and that then I will be the one sending texts and photos and news of my little one!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 3:27pm
maybe when they send you pxt and txt dont open them, not immed anyway - just keep them till you feel better able to cope with viewing. sometimes we need to focus on ourselves for a while.

chin up, cause you wont always feel the same way and you never know when the good stuff will happen to you.

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 3:28pm
Ok..heres the thing. When I got pregnant I was very excited but also knew that the news is going to hit my SIL hard because shes been trying for 4-5 years and I only tried for 4months....so when I finally started to tell people I didnt make a big HOOOO HAAA about it.

The day I had my baby one of our closest friends found out that she is pregnant and we were over the moon...she loves Zaara dearly and we were all happy till at 10 weeks she had a m/c. My hubby went over with some flowers and chocolates and I stayed home with bub...the last thing she would have wanted to see is my bub...even tho she loves her to bits. When she was ready she came over to she her.....

So my point is....a little bit of understanding would have been nice from your MIL & SIL....but also it is understandable that they are excited about the new addition. So my advice is that be strong and learn to see the positive side of the situation. Like Becca said....it will be your turn soon enough...and when it is your bub and you will be the centre of all attention.

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 3:29pm
Thanks everyone so much for your comments It helps to be able to talk because otherwise it's just me, in my own head, going around in circles!

Maybe I should put a Fuzzibunz on the ladle and pxt them a photo of that

Lulu - you hit the nail on the head. That's what I'm afraid of, and what I don't want, and why I can't say 'Hey ...I love this, but it's really hard for me'. You are very, very right.
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 5:13pm
Hey, at the end of the day we are only human!
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 6:13pm
If I was in your shoes, after so long TTC, I probably would have ended up just being really blunt with them in a pre-AF induced rage - then would have ended up having to backpedal furiously later. And while getting over it is all well and good, sensitivity is a two way street and maybe, just MAYBE they need a reminder of that *hugs*
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 6:28pm
People do get obsessed with their new babies eh... especially first babies and any grandchildren (well, some grandparents are so bursting-proud they stay obsessed with their grandys forever!). It sucks when life gets really really unfair for a while, so I'm not going to give a 'count your blessings' speech or anything like that, 'cause while I haven't faced your battle and can't pretend I understand how you feel, I've faced another biggie and it's all well and good to look at the positive stuff instead, but only when you're good'n'ready and not because someone else told you to!

Sounds like the people in your family could be a little more sensitive, though. OK, so they don't understand how you feel, but a little more tact around the time of your miscarriage would have been fully called for! I wouldn't feel guilty about avoiding contact with your SIL if you just don't feel up to it on the day - she's probably got other people around her to see and share all her baby stuff with, has she? At least you can just yell at a txt and delete it if you're not in the space to deal with it when it arrives!

PS: uh... who cares what size diamond?!?!?
Andie
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 8:10pm
Wow that must be tough! I know that I find it quite hard hearing about other people getting pregnant and I don't have anyone really close shoving it in my face 24/7.
Do you want to confront them about it at all or just want some help on how to deal with it yourself?
It sounds like they are being a bit insensitive towards you- especially how they acted just after your miscarraige, not very tactful at all. Maybe you could just start not replying to the texts for a bit- if you're not feeding back so much they might ease off.

I know that now we have to stop TTC for a while I am jealous of people who are still able to try too! So now thats people with babies, pregnant woman and people trying to get pregnant... when will my green list end! Hehe
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 10:22pm
Don't worry ginger, hopefully the texts will slow down soon. If all else fails, just think, one day your niece will be a toddler. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) Like to see what the pxts/txts will be like at that stage. Felt pen on walls. Food all over the house. Mummy's best shoes worn in the sandpit.

By then you'll have a lovely little baby and you'll be able to laugh and laugh and laugh. (Although it might pay to keep that down to a quiet giggle as babies grow into those nasty little demons we refer to as toddlers.)
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 8:03am
Hey everyone    Thanks so much for your comments - they really, really helped

Funnily enough my MIL phoned last night, and was talking about my niece and how hard my SIL is finding it ...and after a bit I thought to myself, I need to just say it. So I did. I just quietly said that I really loved the pic she'd sent of the baby today, and I loved getting them, but after such a long time TTC I also found it hard. I said that I didn't want them to step sending me stuff, but I just wanted them to understand that I had days where it was just a bit much. Especially at the mo while I'm expecting another AF. Surprisingly, she was quite good about it. I know it'll only last 5 minutes because thats my MIL but still, it's a start. She was probably more taken aback because I tend to take Jax's approach as a rule

Anyway ...thanks everyone!!
MILF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 9:09am
yay ginger, hopefully she will have listened to what you were saying, and will take it on board next time she wants to rave about the baby.
Lyla - mum to

Xanthe - my big 4 year old
and
Jordis - 1 year old
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 10:44am
Good on you for being honest
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 11:08am
Hopefully - it's such a fine line to tread!!
netballgirl4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netballgirl4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 11:19am
good for you
Phat_Cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phat_Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 1:31pm

< language=> yay im glad you said something. First things first - what your feeling is totally normal & totally acceptable!!!I too totally understand where your coming from. We have been TTC for close on 2 years & we are the last of the husbands family to have children (we have 4 nieces & 2 nephews so far) As much as I love them all I do find it hard to deal with the feelings and often after they have left I shed a tear or two (esp as 2 have been concieved & born since weve been TTC) also I have other friends out there who have ad kids too. Pretty much everyone is releltively understanding (apart from the MIL but thats expected) and they all keep asking how things are going. Pretty much everyone cant wait for us to have a child & we know that when we do have our children they will have been wanted.

Try to keep your chin up as hard as it can be sometimes your turn will come all of ours will maybe our children are being fussy as to what year they want to be born LOL

< language=>

Edited by Binkas Mum
Tristen - 24/06/07
Rylan - 11/12/08
Angel Babies -14/08/05 & 21/01/2010
Curtis - 26/02/12
 Post Reply Post Reply