FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbottle and breast feeding babies - and pr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bottle and breast feeding babies - and pr
    Posted: 25 January 2011 at 9:34pm
Hey all, firstly anyone out there had a baby on mixed bottle (Breast milk) feeding and breast feeding? mine is a prem baby (born 29 weeks) and we have her on mixed bottle and breast to get the tube out for top ups, and she is now home! How long did it take to get to exclusively breast, and how long does it take for your breasts to stop producing excess milk? I express between 200-300ml at time, crazy cow!

and secondly i found this fab site re breast feeding techniques and the video showed me wot I was doing wrong! hope this may help some of you

http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=17
Sponsored Links

luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 10:32pm
My little girl was prem, although not nearly as early as yours (33+5). I had to express full time for 2 weeks. We didn't bottle feed at all though, we transitioned straight from the tube, to BF plus tube top ups, to exclusively BF. But then from about 8 weeks we bottle fed her with EBM in the evenings for 2 reasons;
It gave me a break and let my boyfriend have some special time with her.
I reckon she drank more from the bottle so slept longer in the evenings after the bigger feed.

But since you're producing so much milk I'm not sure why you're still using the bottle? Does she fatigue on the breast?

I used to express that much too. Once Kiara was BF'g I was hand expressing at the start to get things going and relieve the engorgement before the feed then I think maybe after about a couple of weeks I just stopped because my body worked out the supply/demand issue. Although I felt full between feeds since she was feeding every 3 hours it wasn't too uncomfortable.

Edited by thesaff
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 11:00am
My girls were also prem (33 + 6) and I did mixed BF and EBM bottle top ups until they were 10 wks. They fatigued after about 10 mins at the breast till that time.

I kept expressing as we did an evening bottle too - cluster feeding 2 wee bubba's was more than I could handle. And I bottle fed when out cos tandem feeding was more a in the privacy of my own home activity (suffice to say I didn't get out much in those early months)

Edited by Danda08
 Post Reply Post Reply