FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilk..what type do you drink?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milk..what type do you drink?
    Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:14pm
I have green milk but am thinking of changing it. I don't usually drink much milk but lately I have been making banana milkshakes for breakfast for me & DH & using the green milk but I wonder if I should be using a milk that has more calcium for my bones...
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:17pm
Green. If you take a good multi you shouldn't need to worry about calicum
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:21pm
What about kids?
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:31pm
I use lite blue because I prefer the flavour and it's only 1.6% fat anyway

Could you buy green for you and blue for the kids?

Edited by mummydee
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:51pm
I buy green for me & DH & lite blue for the kids...Just after seeing the adds for other types I was thinking about changing to the calcium one but not sure if it really is all it is made up to be.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:54pm
I get green for me and my protein shakes and my boys (including DH) use the dark blue top basically because of price because they all eat yoghurt, cheese etc on a daily basis and they don't have to think about fat content etc
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 12:57pm
I drink light blue - don't use heaps, just for tea, coffee and oats.

I read somewhere although can't remember where... that we can obtain enough calcium from a healthy diet and that special milks aren't required but are more of a marketing ploy. Don't quote me on it though, I can't even remember the source but it might be worth investigating if you were concerned about the milk. We don't buy special milk for the kids though, and they eat plenty of dairy, yoghurt and cheese etc...
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 1:24pm
i drink normal dark blue - well i should say i dont really drink it more use it on my cereal and in coffee, but the kids and husband all use the same milk too.

BriAndOlisMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriAndOlisMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 1:30pm
We have light blue, for everyone. DS is on formula
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 1:37pm
Wasnt it proven that the lower the fat content the higher the calcium was or something in that line? so that means the light green one has more calcium but the least amount of fat in it.

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 1:40pm
I knew there was a reason we changed the whole family to light green.

Got this for you from the one site just now:

Which milk has the most calcium?

Skimmed milk has a little more calcium than semi-skimmed, which in turn has a little more calcium than whole milk.

The reason is simply that as the fat is removed, the watery proportion of the milk goes up, and this is the part that contains the calcium.

In actual fact the difference isn't that great - per 100ml the figures are 122mg for skimmed milk, 120mg for semi-skimmed and 118mg for whole.

Of course there is another main advantage to drinking lower fat milks - they are lower in calories, fat and saturated fat.

Per 100ml, skimmed milk has 32 calories, 0.2g fat and 0.1g saturated fat; semi-skimmed milk has 46 calories, 1.7g fat and 1.1g saturated fat; and whole milk has 66 calories, 3.9g fat and 2.5g saturated fat.

What you do lose by taking the fat out of milk is small amounts of vitamin A, but you can more than make up for this by eating plenty of beta carotene-rich vegetables, which the body makes into vitamin A.

These include carrots, red pepper, cantaloupe melon and apricots.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-197372/Which-milk-calcium.html#ixzz1Xt2o7Ne8

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 2:26pm
We buy light green and DS- 20months has this on his cereal too cos we dont want to buy another carton of milk just for that, cos he doesnt drink milk- he is breastfed so gets most of his milk this way.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 7:57pm
wow SMoody thanks for that. So will stick to my green & only need to buy that now, lol
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:01am
Actually a workmate was telling me she watched something on tv that if you eat low-fat dairy, you umm 'excrete' more fat than having full-fat dairy. Another bonus!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
 Post Reply Post Reply