FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew here - neocate babe w. neg dairy test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tjbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here - neocate babe w. neg dairy test
    Posted: 09 April 2008 at 9:26pm

Heya

Am new on here and desperately trying to catch up on all the posts. I have a 2.5 yo daugther and 7.5 mnth son. Since Cooper was born he had problems on and off, in hospital for long observation periods, was unable to feed well, pulled on and off crying and arching his back, never slept - paed put him on neocate @ 3 months and has been brilliant ever since. Today he had a series of skin prick tests through medlab at the hospital which showed up a very small reaction to dairy. Insane I can't believe it. He has bad ezema and when has been tested on dairy gets very irritable and doesn't sleep or settle well at all. Has anyone else had these sorts of things???

Desperately seeking a direction here!!!

Cheers
Janine
Sponsored Links

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 2:27pm

Hi Janine - welcome to the site!  I've found heaps of advice here - sooo the place to be. 

Here's my 2 cents worth, as my daughter has a dairy allergy.  I think that any reaction Cooper has to dairy is a more subjective way to measure his tolerance (or lack of) to it, but probably more important than a test result anyway - the test is an indication of his allergy.  A skin prick test sure is a lot more reliable than a blood test for it, but still, it's no guarantee.  And at less than a year old, test results for allergies are less reliable still. 

He could have been growing out of his allergy over time?  'Dairy' is the allergy people are most likely to outgrow. 

I'm not sure if I've read it correctly - have you fed him some dairy recently and that's left him really irritable?  Hmmmm...  OK I'm no expert but I'd be tempted to call that a mild reaction to dairy, which would co-incide with the test result you got.  I don't want to dismiss his distress over it (or yours!), but the good news is that that is not a severe reaction at all (yay!  Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come?).  Still, it's important, and pays to keep track of any reactions he seems to be having and what he's eaten beforehand, as I'm sure you're already doing.  Do you have a follow-up appointment with the Paediatrician to talk about the test results?  You should get one, but might need to ask for it to get the cogs turning.  Don't know which town you're in, but we've got over a month left for our appt to follow-up from my daughter's skin prick test, which was 2 months ago!!

Edited by Andie
Andie
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 6:57pm
hmm id be interested in this..we got a sever reaction but put him on neocate following a friends..and later the docs..recommendation..paed appointment tuesday where hes doing a skin test on his back..he's the leading paed in the country for it apparently...so i wonder why he does the test if it isnt reliable(I've heard that from many people?:( )

why does it take so long for a followup appointment..is it going public? we are going private and it better not take that long!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 7:31pm
Hi and welcome to Oh baby!

Isla was a lot like Cooper sounds. She was a very unsettled baby, cried what felt like all the time,.. ached her back and pulled of and sceamed during feeds,.. only fed max 3 mins,.. couldnt ever lie flat,.. never slept longer than 2 hrs day or night til like 7-8 months old,.. was covered in eczema with then had infections several times too.

She was diagnosed with silet reflux at 5 months old. 1 in 3 babies with reflux have problem with dairy. And after our own investigations into it and our own observations, and pushing to be seen by a Paed she was finally diagnosed with dairy allergy at about 10 months.
She had 2 negative RAST allery blood test results. Diagnosis was by our observations, and even tho she had neg results the Paed still said she had dairy allergy. She never had a skin prick test- and has since been tested in hospital recently (6months after hive reaction) and has now outgrown the allergy.
As well as the symtoms I described above, she also reacted when fully bf with vomtting and worsening flare-ups of ezcema when I increased my dairy intake. This happened again after I tried going dairy free (it made no noticable difference), but then I had an icecream and she again had the vomitting and eczema flare. Then she was given a corner of toast with butter, and had instant facial swelling and hives, by eczema flare and change in bowel motions.

Hope I havent made u fall asleep! Lol!

Also read the other topics in this forum as there has been lots of similar discussions lately!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 7:34pm
Foxxy-one, our Paed told us that after a definate reaction there is no need to do any sort of further testing at that time. We were told to wait and retest every 6 months until she out grows the allergy.
Emma, Andie and Aimee will prob have more info on the testing after a severe reaction too. But I would be sure that he is going to benefit from having the test done before he is put through it. Good luck!

Edited by Kellz
pekemoemum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekemoemum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 10:18am
hugs.. haven't read all the other replies sorry.... just a quickie. my boy had a dairy 'intolerance' I think is what the dietitian called it. Whereby it affected his tummy/behaviour etc... skin prick tests won't show up an intolerance. So I wouldn't worry to much about those.. I would keep dairy out of his diet for now. We re-trialled dairy at 1yr old and only slight tummy issues, Tyde is now on normal dairy diet and doing great!!! however your wee man may continue having issues. There are heaps of dairy free products /recipes, I would just continue dairy free! hugs and all the best!
 Post Reply Post Reply