FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCustody: At what point does...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custody: At what point does...
    Posted: 25 August 2011 at 10:26am
Dammit it wouldnt all fit

At what point does the father kind of 'lose'. Like DS's dad sees Max only ocassionally. We are talking maybe an hour once a month. I took Ds to his place (he lives 2 hours away) for visits when DS was smaller so he spent 4 days in total with him, though wasnt hands on at all basically just watched me take care of him. He has literally held him twice, for brief (one or two minutes). At what point would the courts consider him an absent dad and throw out any requests for custody? He keeps threatening to take it to court and get either full or week about custody. I KNOW it is just a threat, he can't afford a lawyer at at the age DS is at now no judge would take him away from his mom for a week! But i know when he's closer to 2 they can/will/might order at least an overnight a week.

So i guess the question is - if DS is 2, and all the involvment he has had is one or two hours visit a month (and when i say visit i mean he watches me hold DS and doesnt talk or hold or interact with him) would they just laugh him away then too? I find it hard to imagine they would order a young boy to go stay at a strangers house 2 hours drive away but stranger things have happened at sea.

Ok i'm totally rambling now but would love some reassurance!!

ps. We broke up before the end of my first trimester, we never lived together, DS never lived with him, and he has never been finacially responsible for either of us (all things i was told would impact his claims)
Sponsored Links

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 10:28am
Or more articulately - how many years have to pass by with his non-involvment before the court wouldnt consider forcing a parenting order or visitations?
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:41am
Hey Bowie am going through this issue myself. my sons father has been uninvolved for well over a year and we are now going to councilling as "demanded" by the courts so we can sort this out with out court. Even though I am the one applying for this and his father has made no contact in over a year.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 12:44pm
i dont know if there is a time limit.
I do know years ago if a parent applied for a custodial agreement then the natural course of things was councelling for the parents first then if nothing could be arranged between the parents a lawyer could be appointed for the child and then it would go to court. i dont think they like to order you to do things but would rather it was a meeting between the parties to come to an agreement. i guess though if the parties couldnt agree at all then the next step would be for the courts to make the decisions.    

.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 12:49pm
From what I've been able to research and have found out from the free lawyers and people at the courthouse, it's pretty much never.
At such a young age it could take up to a year of supervised visits and day visits before it would become overnight.
The courts job is to protect the child's rights and make their decisions in the best interest of the child, the main idea being that the child has the right to know both of it's parents.
Really annoying, innit?
But I might be wrong.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 3:15pm
Yeah it all makes sense though. I dont want to/plan to stop Max knowing his dad. but i worry say, age 8, Max will suddenly become interesting to his father and he'll go to court and be granted weekends or something despite him not have being involved up until that point.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 7:15pm
That's what I'm afraid of, too. It sucks.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 9:55pm
Unfortunately I have a friend who has this problem. Her DD's Dad never lived with them, basically denied her existance and saw her about a whole 3 or 4 times in the first 3 years of her life. He then got a new partner, got married and they had a baby together. She (his new partner) decided he should have something to do with his other daughter (my friend's DD) and so he took my friend to court and got every second weekend. Pretty much standard Dad contact. Every thing went as well as it could I guess till the little girl turned 6 and he decided he wanted to go and study (him and his wife had another kid by that stage) and he applied to the court to have shared care of her. Basically it looked to me like they wanted to claim more family assistance. Thats very cynical of me but he was hardly even looking after the little girl when they had her, she was being palmed off to various relatives (like her grandparents on that side) and/or used to look after her younger half siblings while they watched TV/played playstation etc. He didn't get 50/50 shared care but he did get 2 nights one week and 3 nights the next week (so 5 nights a fortnight). She was devastated. The court basically said no matter what happened in the past he has the right to decide to be a father.

My sister (who is a single mum with a 5 year old) was terrified her ex would do this to her as her ex is a drugie/in and out of prison (mostly for theft etc)/general all round loser. She applied for a parenting order for sole custody and he didn't respond to the court papers and they couldn't find him to serve them on him. So he had several opportunities to show up in court to disagree with the parenting order - from memory I think they advertised it in the paper classifieds and there was 3 dates he could go in and dispute the order over the period of 2 months. He never disputed it so she got the order, but from what I understand if he came along in 10 years time and decided he wanted contact this would not automatically exclude him from contact if he applied to the Court.

In my own situation I went to Court and got a parenting order as my ex kept threatening to not give DD back from planned visits, or to take her from daycare, and we couldn't agree on visitation etc. Even though I have an order stating the care (ie I am the main caregiver and he has contact at the times stated in the agreement) if he wants to vary it at any time all he has to do is go down to the Court and fill in and file a piece of paper saying he wants the order reviewed. Then we start down the whole councelling path to discuss custody again.

Sorry for the massive post but the general gist as BecBarrier says is that the Dad never loses any parenting rights despite how crap a parent he may have been up to that point. The law seems to say that if he wants to be a dad then he has the right to be as long as there is no safety issues (violence, drugs, abuse) for the child involved.
ange221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ange221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 8:30am
I don't think they ever "lose".

At any stage they can come along and say "I want to see my kid" then you will be sent for counseling if you can't work it out between you. Even if you insist on supervised visitation they only have to have a few of these before it becomes unsupervised.

Don't listen to the "threats". They are just that "threats" and they all like to throw the "I'll take you to court" drama out there.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 1:26pm
Thanks Shelt you managed to answer the question i hadnt even asked properly. Thats pretty much what i'm afraid off. Like i said i dont want to stop them having a relationship (and up until this point i've bent over backwards and sideways to get him to see his son but no dice...cancels for stupid reasons like he's tired.) just afraid DS will be forced to spend time with a stranger in the future. Because thats what it'll be - you HAVE to spend 4 hours with this man 2x a week even though you don't know him from adam. FUN. not.

Ange i know its the just a threat but it sh*ts me he uses the whole custody thing to get his own way. DS is a little boy not a bargining tool.
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 4:05pm
I think their is a age when they lose actually. Dont quote me but its some time in their teens, like 14? I think where its actually the childs decision so if the child said you know what stranger you are a no one in my life go away. Then daddy has to go bye bye. Atleast thats what I heard when my mates parents split they all excpet the youngest got to choose their own custody arangments and the parents had to agree. (funny enough, the son choose full custody with mum and the daugter full time with dad). The youngest was 1 week each house. (youngest was like 12?)
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 10:34pm
I think that they do ask the child's opinion from quite young (like about 5 or so) and take it into account - my friend's DD was actually asked her opinion when she was 6 about whether she wanted to spend more time with her Dad. The problem is that she didn't want to hurt his feelings and say that she didn't want to spend any more time with him....

I think when they get to about 10 or 12 they are allowed to choose what kind of custody they would like as long as the parents agree with it.

The problem I am anticipating having is that my ex buys DD's love with junk food and lots of TV and there is no rules at his house. She loves it there. I'm sure if you asked her she would probably love to spend more time there, well at least for a while till she worked out what living with him was really like.

On the other hand, things can work the opposite way. My uncle was really done over in this situation. His wife walked out when their kids were 4, 8 and 10 and didn't want custody of them. She came back after about 18 months (when they had been living with him full time and just having access visits occasionally with her) and fought him for full custody of the kids. The courts allocated the kids a lawyer and they told the lawyer they wanted to live with their mum so the court ruled that they would go back to live with her (after nearly 2.5 years of living with him) and he only got every second weekend plus one night during the week access. He was devastated and is still quite bitter about it. Kids can kick you in the arse sometimes. I think they just really missed their mum and they didn't have any concept of what their dad had given up to have them full time.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 11:07pm
What rights does DS's father have if I get him to agree to a sole custody order?
He's pretty keen (woohoo), but isn't keen on paying child support, would he still be liable?
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 7:59am
I hear they are really hard to get Bec. Even if you both agree they won't just hand one out. You gotta still do the counselling and go through the whole process. And they will appoint a lawyer for Bentley and work outwhat is best for him, and unless his dad is abusive or drug dealing etc they won't take away his rights still. I don't know about the child support if you did succeed though.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:53am
I think he would still be liable for child support from what I understand. If you are on a benefit then the government would chase him for it but otherwise you don't have to be registered with IRD and could come to a private arrangement for anything/nothing if thats what you wanted.

My DD's Dad was so anti IRD collecting his child support that he agreed to pay me more privately than IRD had assessed him for!
 Post Reply Post Reply