FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked6 going on 16!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 going on 16!!!
    Posted: 22 March 2010 at 4:08pm
Hey all
DD1 was 6 in January, and started school as a year 2. Within 2 weeks of school starting, she developed the most horrible attitude!! Throwing temper tantrums, answering back, being a right little madam, especially to DS. It is driving me absolutely mad, and it doesnt matter how we try and handle it, nothing seems to help. The worst part is, she is smart about it too. We were in Auckland for the weekend so took the kids to the zoo. We set out ground rules before we got out of the car (no running away, have good listening ears, no tantrums or whining). The whole trip around the zoo was great, no issues from any of the kids. Until we walked out of the kiwi house (last thing before we left). She then threw an almighty tantrum about absolutely nothing!!! So we ended up leaving the zoo in a fowl mood!!!
Any advice on how to deal with this?
Thanks

DD Savannah 18.01.04
DS Austin 04.09.08
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 9:10pm
I've found bribery works reasonably well.

Also I have no issue of disciplining her in public, and then all favours are off for a set time.

By discipling I mean telling her off & making her sit in a "naughty spot"

She was probably super tired though, they are soaking in so much information I've noticed this year, it's amazing really. They are really learning at school too.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 9:12pm
Oh the bribery we did, was eat your lunch & all of it for a week & you can go to the $2 shop. We ended up going to 2 weeks before we got to town & so DH upgraded her reward to letting her chose a top from Kmart. Only $8 but she didn't know that & it's better than junk that she'd have other wise chosen.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:30pm
I know you posted ages ago rachndean, but I only just found this thread today.

Has her behaviour changed yet? If so, what worked for you?

If not, maybe see what's going on for her at school and whether she is having any difficulties at school.

My older DD of around the same age has been much the same as your DD. But lately she's been getting far worse and bribery doesn't work, behaviour chart isn't working currently and take toys away only works for a short term. She is having difficulties at school and lashes out at other child and is disrespectful for teachers as well. Yes the family dynamics have changed this year, due to having a new baby, but I think a lot of her frustration comes from school. Things have got pretty crap at times with older DD. I have PND too which doesn't help. She recently had an assessment at Child Adolescent Health and Mental Service and they have suggested I attend a parenting course and having referred her onto Child Development people at the hospital.

Post Reply Post Reply