FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDinner..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinner..
    Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:06pm
Caden doesnt seem very interested in dinner these days, am trying to give him what we eat now, so he has dinner with us and I dont have to make 2 seperate meals.
Im trying to get him to eat more meat, he will eat mince, but he picks at chicken and pork and it just ends up on the floor, he doesnt make "eew yuck" faces so Im assuming he doesnt NOT like chicken etc. He has also started turfing his veges on the floor, so he isnt eating much at dinner time, and I end up giving him a banana or a yoghurt or something so he doesnt go to bed hungry.
He eats breakfast and lunch fine, he has toast and sammies and fruit etc, its just dinner time that he is fussy. However, if I stick Watties cheesy ravioli in front of him at dinner time he will eat the lot!

Im guessing this is just a toddler thing, but do you think I should stop giving him a banana ect if he doesnt eat what I give him to start with? What did everyone else do in this situation?

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:21pm
Daniel has started doing this lately. And I was giving him something after dinner to fill him up but as of last night I said nah, he eats what hes given or gets nothing, I think he holds out for what he might get afterwards. So hopefully he will figure out if he doesnt eat whats in front of him theres no more til morning lol. If however it is something he hasnt had before then I'll give something else as well.
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:22pm
When E doesn't eat enough dinner, we get her down from the highchair and wash her face and hands and play together/read/ what ever we happen to be doing, then closer to bedtime we get back up in the highchair and have a sandwich or some other "boring" food. SO not eating dinner = finished. Then supper before bed. If she eats all her dinner she gets yummy stuff while still in highchair (eg a yoghurt for pudding).
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 4:06pm
yeah but flutterby to a kid a sandwich isnt boring food! sorry that made me chuckle... i think depending on what age you can do what stacey said... we do that with eden and she is 18 mths and have been for a while... i think too that kids generally dont really like meat, possibly more due to texture than taste though.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 4:43pm
Oh and I always make sure that whatever we have has something I know he likes in it. Or I cook up some extra mixed vege for him cause he loves peas carrots and corn, then I know that if hes not eating anything at all its cause hes being silly or holding out for something better rather than just not liking it
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 4:53pm
Sheena - Issy loves cheesey ravioli too!

I personally just give her whatever she wants so that she eats, I dont want her to wake up during the night because she is hungry .. ive already got one that does that.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 5:39pm
we've had some 4.30/5am starts to the day earlier this week because Nat hadn't eaten enough the day before (had a tummy bug and was totally off her food but still woke up hungry ), so just be prepared if Caden doesn't fill up enough on dinner, he might wake earlier! I'm in the give them what they want camp (within reason of course!) ..... until she's a bit older and able to understand a bit more!
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 5:54pm
lol Julia, yeah thats why I often give him a banana or something cos getting up to two of them, nah ahh lol

bizzy, thats what I think his issue is with the meat is the texture, I will try and do something with it to make it more interesting for him.

He loves corn, so we always give him a corn on the cob. but even sometimes that ends up chucked on the floor

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 6:47pm
we had this issue for a while too..drove me mental..some food he genuinely doesnt seem to like..which is weird as he used to love everything.. and i was giving him other stuff as well but i stopped giving him yogurt first.. and also made sure he had a lot less to snack on during the afternoon and it seems to have fixed it.. and giving him tea at his table....it sucks though so hugs for you!

its a hard thing really as you dont want them hungry but they have to learn ..in our case E certainly understands and plays us for food he likes better( i thought he was too young and was really quite soft on him but the last week have got a lot harder on him about it).... about 3 times a week he has our food and the rest stuff like kids pasta with the veges in and stuff..

he also only throws food if he has had enough or hates it..
Mum to two amazing boys!
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:41pm
If the girls don't eat their dinner I don't offer an alternative.
I used to stress about it but dinner time got a lot more enjoyable once I stopped

They always have yogurt after dinner, however on the days that one (or both) won't eat dinner they generally wont eat all their yogurt either.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:47pm
Spencer goes to bed without if he doesn't eat dinner (and I know it is something he likes), he started the same thing around Cadens age so that is when he started going to bed with no dinner if need be, he's never woken in the night, has just been really into breakfast the next day.

The other thing we often do is have dinner at lunch cos that's when he seems hungrier so he has a decent meal then and then it doesn't matter if he picks at things or just eats fruit for dinner. Or if he refuses dinner I keep the left overs and give it to him for lunch the next day, saves the waste.

Post Reply Post Reply