FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"special needs schools"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fairyjuice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairyjuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "special needs schools"?
    Posted: 21 November 2008 at 1:58pm
Hi
I have a friend who is wanting to imagrate from South Africa and she has a son who is a very slow learner and has ADHD and is in a special school is South Africa,she needs to know if there are schools in NZ like this and were?

Thank you
Mel
Sponsored Links

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 2:04pm
Heya, yep there's various schools around - what part of NZ is she coming too?

You may find that he might be more suited to a 'satellite class' in a regular school... so they have a special needs class or unit, and the kids still get to take part in bigger school activities.

If she's coming to Aucks I can recommend a few

Oh and yeah - how old is her son?
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 2:05pm
Heaps, my sister is very special needs and she went to Sommerville special school , (now shes 22 and is at Ambury park)
Before she went to Sommerville she was at Mt Roskill Intermediate in a special class,with a teacher who has remained one of my mums best friends .

A lot of the primary schools have satellite classes as well .
My mum is on here (susie q) might pay to PM her ,she can probably give a lot more info than I can .
Do you have any idea where your friend would be moving to ? because my mum organises special needs support groups etc as well

edited to change it to satellite classes :-)

Edited by caitlynsmygirl

LizzyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LizzyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 2:12pm
If she comes to wellington there are units attached to some of the colleges, I am involved with special olympics so have a fair handle on whats around, If she comes to wellington both Newlands and wellington high have good reputations. I am happy to put her in touch with the special olympics in whatever region she moves to, (boy has to be over 8 to join special olympics)
VioletStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VioletStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 5:26pm
Hey there, I work in a special needs school, and have volunteered in another.
There are several around, as others have said, some schools have special needs classes within them, same with highschools/colleges.
Formerly Wishin41
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 5:58pm
We have a special school around the corner from us in Te Atatu South out West Auckland - it is called Arohanui special school.
Fairyjuice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairyjuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 6:29pm
Thanks ladies,I will e-mail her this link and she can answer your questions.

Her name is Sarah.

Cheers
Mel
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:23pm
Same for south island - i can give her names and details for the ones here. My sis is 21 and is going through them.
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 9:56pm
I am Kellys Mum and yes Kellys sister now 22 went to Mt Roskill Intermediate physically disabled unit.
I can also very highly reccomend Sommerville Special school in Panmure which has quite a number of satellite classes attached for the school but they are at the lcoal schools in some of the areas,
Other Special Needs schools in the Auckland area are Waiirau valley special school on the North Shore,
Arohanui special school out in New Lynn, Parkside Special school in Pukekohe, Rosehill special school in Papakura ,
Sir Keith Park special school in Mangere and MT Richmond Special school in Otahuhu
Get your friend to pm me when she gets here.
I have a mound of info I can give her and am coordinator for the East and South Auckland Special Needs Support Group for parents/caregivers of special needs children/adults
 Post Reply Post Reply