FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked$$ spend on food etc each week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 4:10pm
Hmm I wonder if that would be worth the petrol. Takapuna to Orewa......

Sponsored Links

Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 4:36pm
I don't really know how much we spend on food each week. I think our last lot of grocerys had been over a month since the previous shop!! We generally just go when everything is getting low! I think it cost just on $300 last time. We had topped up a couple of times with bread and milk and fresh fruit, but wouldn't do that more than once a week.

Although I'm looking at buying milk to freeze, and UHT milk. Combined we should never run out of milk. And we now bulk buy bread when its on special (we got given a little chest freezer). Whenever stuffs on special, I buy heaps. EG cheese was 1kg for $8 so I went and got 4 blocks. That should keep us going for a couple of months at least! We don't eat a lot of cheese anymore.

I always try to buy stuff like pasta/rice/ pasta sauce/ canned veges/ tomato paste/ juice sachets/ canned tomatoes/ frozen veges if we need it or not, (if its on special) keeps the pantry stocked with enough for us to make up a basic meal if need be!

I also make a meal list of about 20 meals, and then can choose off that what to buy, so we have enough for quite a few meals. This doesn't always work. but I try!!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 10:15pm
Holy crap I'd love to have $300 a week to spend on food! Just reading through doing a catch-up and had to comment on this one!!
We spend a max of $120 a fortnight for 2 adults and a toddler plus 2 - 3 nights a week we have guests for dinner. I trawl recipe books for yummy, cheap bulk meals that use small amounts of meat which means 2kgs of mince can do a minimum of 6 dinners plus 6 good-size lunches for DP coz its cheaper for him to take leftovers than sandwiches. I get things like venison neck chops and make irish stews, thick soups, etc and I do at least one vegetarian meal and one fish meal a week. We use powdered milk and I double our butter by mixing in milk powder, oil and gelatine.
Vege gardens are a good idea or buying veges and fruit in season when they're cheap.
I buy toilet paper from warehouse - 40 rolls for like $3 I think and I make all our cleaners.
Theres heaps of ways to save money good luck!
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 11:13am
ok, so I want to know what you guys eat... We dont eat mince or sausages much but we dont each eye fillet much these days either, I thought we were doing quite well, but since this thread started I have been watching a bit closer..
Im still spending 300 a week, but that includes nappies and a maybe a box of beer or a couple of bottles of wine, but that is still over $200 a week for 2 adults and a midget

How do I get this food bill down!!
http://lilypie.com]
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 2:06pm
We budget for 3 adults (two males and me) and one toddler (who eats as much as i do if not more)
We spend $100 on our groceries. This includes meat, and bread and milk for the week. I generally spend $80 at the supermarket which includes chicken and occasionally pork and then $10 for the bread and milk runs (we buy these as we need them) and the other $10 goes into the meat allowance as we buy half a cattle beast once a year. We don't buy alcohol in our weekly budget (dh buys it out of his pocket money if he wants to drink ) however we do buy 5 bottles of coke

Our whole budget for everything is in cash.
I withdraw $210 each week to cover groceries, pocket money, petrol, kids clothing and activities. And move $70 each week in the bills account to cover power and phone.
I am thoroughly enjoying being able to spend $100 on food each week. Because at one point last year we were getting by on $50 which was extremely hard

Our budget works really well, because everything is accounted for. I take a calculator to the supermarket and try to leave henry at home as then i can think more clearly lol.
nannyabbey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nannyabbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 2:10pm
we've just been talking about this at our place because we are getting closer to bubs arriving and my income DROPPING! And cause our food bill last month was very high! i think there being five weeks in the month I ended up doing 3 (fortnight) shops which bumped it up...........but also it was all those extra trips to the supermarket to grab something we didnt have and ending up with a few more things! We at the mo are on a budget of $250 a fortnight for 2 adults and i'm a frugal girl from way back so happy to not spend that!

The last few months we hadn't really tracked it because i had nausea till about 24 weeks and couldn't stand alot of food - and yet looking back at it (kia ora to microsoft money) we didn't spend as much cause we were living off meat and veg!

The best way i've found to save money on shopping is to get in touch with my pioneering woman side! make our own bread, add lentils to mince dishes to stretch them, soak and cook my own kidney beans etc and pretty much pretend that food like chippies, fizzy and 'instant' food doesnt exsist. Also knowing the true price of pre made foods can encourage you to spend a little more time and make it yourself - did you know you can make 6-8 yummy tortillas with a couple cups of flour, water, oil and salt! And in shops they charge you 6-8 PLUS dollars for ready made ones.

I meal plan for a fortnight then write a list, then go shopping in my own pantry first before i go to pac n save/fruit and vege shop/ Mad butcher etc. And sometimes the meal plan might change depending on meat specials etc.
I am also one of those weird people that carry a note book with me while shopping that has foods listed and prices so that i can really see if its a special or not. man supermarkets can fib about things! pac n save had $5 deals going on not long ago and the eggs that i usually buy went up in price even tho they were selling the idea that they were cheaper!

we eat really well by being creative - its actually hard to eat out cause we are not quite satisfied after eating take outs or paying ridiculous price for something we know we could make at home a whole lot cheaper! its one of those things - it will take effort but you'll benefit from it.........

Edited by nannyabbey
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 2:27pm
Keep your eye out for specials on meat. Last week we bought a catering pack of Ingham's chicken portions $25 for 5 kgs. This is going to last us for ages.

Buy supermarket own brand stuff. Home Brand stuff isn't that much different from brand stuff. Especially when it comes to things like butter. Woolworths select nappies are better IMO than Huggies and Treasures and cheaper too.

Buy pumpkins now and make lots of pumpkin soup for winter and freeze it. If you cook it up with a few bacon bits and serve it with bread it can do a hearty lunch or a light dinner.

Stirfries are your friend! As are crockpots which turn tough (comparitively) cheap meat into tasty meals.

We also make a big amount of mild chilli con carne in the crockpot quite often and then use it for burritos for dinners. Kids love 'build your own' dinners. The extra tortilla wraps in the pack (if you don't make your own) will keep for a while and then you can do crumbed chicken wraps with chicken breast.

Our meal plan for the last week:
Chicken and rice in the crockpot
Pumpkin soup
Fish (frozen portions)
Shepherd's pie
Suasages and lentils in the crockpot
Burritos
Couscous and winter veges

Edited by Bobbie

nannyabbey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nannyabbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 3:48pm
chicken and rice in the crockpot sounds yum bobbie............is there a recipe for that or do you just chuck it all in???
mmmmmmmmm comfort winter food..............my fav!
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 4:10pm
I normaly budget about $400 a month on groceries.
We do have a vegie garden, and normally don't buy ready made or pre packaged food (ie pasta sauses etc), drinks, bisquits and sweets. I buy meat from the butcher, and fruit/vegies I need from the vegie shop.

This budget does not include snacks, take away and lunches and eating out.
We bank with Kiwibank and do most of it online. I just discovered their new feature called HEAPS. It allows you to catagoriese every amount of money you spend from your account, ie Pak'n'Save - groceries; bakery - snack; diary - snack; Burger Fuel - take away; Max - clothing, ect
Then groups this into catagories like FOOD, FUN, HOME, TRAVEL and OTHERS

It is very interessting to see where you actually spend your money. Last week we spend about $170 on food in total (incl. take aways, lunch and snack)
Our spending is a bit out of whack at the moment as I still have MS and don't cook or eat much at all but live on rubbish food at the moment. But I think this will be a very interesting and useful feature for me in the future to keep an eye on where and how we spend our money.

Oh god! I just realised that amount of $170 did not even include a supermarket shop last week. It was all spend on snacks, take aways and other rubbish!

Edited by susyl
Here we go again, another baby on it's way!
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 5:25pm
susyl - that sounds like a wonderful feature. I was saying to dh that i wish we could 'label' our money within our account. Wonder if westpac will copy.
blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 5:40pm
since i have posted this i have tried so hard to cut back and have managed a little bit but no idea how people do it for $100!!
eg buying bulker meat packs insted of the 1 meal type ones.
i think our problem is we are kind of fussy etc only watties tomato sauce, i will only use eco power soap pwder, and dp like sweet snack treats.
hoping to find some domesti godess in me to doing baking for a week and frezzing meals but am yet to .. looking forward to soups in winter tho!! i also hate eating left overs never have liked them so we do still waste a bit of food!
i hope this has helped people as much as me
and i will keep trying to cut our food bill back!!!!!!
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 6:10pm
ok i did the shop today thinking i was being super tight - without nappies it was $200 an i forgot about 10 things so probably add $30 to that!!

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 7:01pm
Wow DP and i need to start working on our food spending! we would spend about $600 a month on food but as we both work fulltime we like easy things (pre-made things not so much takeaways)

Oh and thats only for 2 of us (plus a dog and 3 cats)
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 4:58pm
I think if you are working full time then fair enough as the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from work was cook a whole meal.

When you're a SAHM you do (usually) have a bit of time in the day to prep the meal.

I have no idea how people do it for $100 either. There are cuts of meat for example that are hard to come by in Auckland without going to specialty butchers. But my mum, who is a southerner, assures me that it is easier to get these down south.

nannyabbey it was a bit of trial and error. I just threw in 2 cans of tomatoes, some herbs, a chopped onion and garlic, 1.5 cups of rice, 1 cup chicken stock (with the water just boiled) and some chicken pieces that I had browned first. Cooked for about 5.5 hours on low. If I didn't have a toddler I would have done it with spicy tomatoes or added some chilli or similar.

ETA: I took a leaf out of babe's book and did crockpot porridge last night. It was wonderful this morning. I think it will be a common breakfast from now on.

Edited by Bobbie

bebe01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 5:29pm
This thread is awesome! i too am expecting in August, so tried to budget what we "may" spend once bebe is a toddler.. (beign off work for a year i have to be super anal over our budget!).

You mums have got it sorted! have a few good tips already from here - wish i could just print it off and highlight all the goodies to put on our fridge to remind me!
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 5:43pm
*shock* We are short of cash at the moment so we did a bare minimum this week and spent $100. Granted we didn't need animal food or cleaning products or bread I think that is pretty bl00dy amzing!

ETA:
OHH! Crock pot porridge intrigue's me! going to read back and find the recipe. Can anyone tell me where to find it?

Edited by Emiloly
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 6:52pm
When I was working fulltime I just used the crockpot then too. If I had an early start I'd put dinner in the crockpot at night, cook it on low and turn it off in the morning then switch it on and high as soon as I got home. Give it about 1.5-2hrs and its hot and ready to eat. I can't eat alot of pre-made stuff (even some tinned tomatoes are a no-no!) so I didn't have any option though.

Making meals that can stretch is a good idea - a 1 kg pack of mince makes lasagne (beefed out with layers of vege) one night, meatballs (beefed out with soaked bread - almost doubles the amount) the next, cowboy casserole (beefed out with lentils) the next, then for the fourth meal we make tortillas (homemade of course ) with mince and salad-y stuff. Each meal makes atleast enough for us and a good lunch for DP the next day plus it stretches for any visitors we have. Another fave is stew - 500g of cheap meat, garlic, fresh herbs, beef stock, tomatoes, a tin or 2 of beans (I use 4 bean mix) and soy sauce served on pasta one night, made into a pie the next (I use homemade or brought if I'm in a hurry), served on jacket potatoes the night after then the last little bit gets made into a thick soup with barley, beef stock and veges.
I find it easier to cook that way anyway. Its fast and frugal and takes very little prep.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 6:58pm
Emiloly - porridge is just made the same as on the stove. I use 2 cups of porridge and 4 cups of water with a pinch of salt (optional), switch to low on crockpot and leave. Best done last thing at night and also remember if you only make a small amount (less than 2 cups of porridge really) then do it in a bowl and put that into the crockpot coz if you put it directly into crockpot bowl then it gets hard and crusty and bleuck!!
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 7:53pm
Well we done grocerys tonight, $250. Admittedly there wasn't much meat in there (just frankfurters for soup and 2x frozen chickens). But we will get meat from the butcher for 6 trays for $25, which we split the trays in half...

Lots of veges, although we'll have to top up fresh vege/fruit and milk in a week and half/2 weeks which will probably be $30-$40 ish...

Haven't done grocerys in over a month, so i didn't think that was too bad!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123