FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked4 yr old killed by boy racer in CHCH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 yr old killed by boy racer in CHCH
    Posted: 22 May 2010 at 9:57pm
Sponsored Links

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:47am
I can even begin to imagine how horrifying that moment must have been for the mother. Everytime I think about it I cry

And the stupid idiot driver will probally only get a few years

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:51am
that is so sad!!! that poor mother.

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:55am
This makes me so unbelievably angry. Even more so when the drivers mother comes out defending her son, saying he's not a boy-racer and he simply lost control.. NO lady, your son is a flippin idiot, who wanted to show off and in the process has destroyed another familys life!

I have no sympathy for the driver and his family, I hope that boy gets everything coming to him!

All my thoughts are with little Nayan, his brother and their family

As a side note.. I still can't believe that modified vehicles are allowed on our roads! Many drivers of these vehicles have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted! They should be restricted to the race-track. I get sick to death by the amount of times I've been intimidated driving around the city by boy (and girl) racers. How many more innocent people have to be hurt/killed by these lunatics?!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 11:02am

This is just so heartbreaking. DH and I were both so upset when we saw this on the news.

My thoughts are with the poor family

and I agree I hope the driver gets the maximum punishment

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Mamma2N Mamma2N wrote:

As a side note.. I still can't believe that modified vehicles are allowed on our roads! Many drivers of these vehicles have proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted! They should be restricted to the race-track. I get sick to death by the amount of times I've been intimidated driving around the city by boy (and girl) racers. How many more innocent people have to be hurt/killed by these lunatics?!

Not everyone is a idiot that has a modified car and modified covers a lot of things that improve cars not just make them louder or faster they can actually make them safer. Restrictions should be put in place on the types of vehicles you can drive at a younger age and especially while on learner or restricted licences.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by WRXnKids WRXnKids wrote:

Originally posted by Mamma2N Mamma2N wrote:

Not everyone is a idiot that has a modified car and modified covers a lot of things that improve cars not just make them louder or faster they can actually make them safer. Restrictions should be put in place on the types of vehicles you can drive at a younger age and especially while on learner or restricted licences.

How did I know that comment was bound to ruffle a few feathers.
I completely realise not all modified cars are driven by idiots - if you looked at my comment closely you'll note I said 'many drivers of these vehicles....' That means the many idiots I and many others notice on the roads happen to be in modified vehicles. I personally see absolutely no point in having modified cars (in this case, boy racer cars) on the road.
And it isn't just younger boy-racers that act like idiots, so IMO, age restrictions is only going to address part of the problem.

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:06pm
my husband is in his 30s and has a modified car has done so for about 10 years.,...however he knows how to control it and doesnt do stupid things.... but I do agree with having an age limit and also have to have a full licence.

I see nothing wrong with having modified cars. you simply cannot tar owners of modified cars with the same brush. you try telling a 30 year old man who has spent thousands of dollars on his car and who drives it sensibally that he is not allowed his car on the road.

Rachel1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:08pm
terrible terrible time for the family

but I have to point out that just because the guy was 17 and had a silvia doesn't make him a 'boyracer'

most of the really bad driving I see on the roads is carried out by older generations not younger ones. I have seen some things in the past few weeks alone which make me scared to drive while pregnant!

For the record I'm 27, drive a WRX STi on a clean drivers license and have never even had so much as a parking ticket. I also have a track car which I adore taking out at Manfeild for a bit of fun. Am I a girlracer because I drive a WRX?

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 9:47am
Actually a lot of the real death trap cars on the road arent modified or are poorly done and un-warranted. I dont see the point of taking all modified vehicles off the road when some people modify their cars to make them safer - new mags and tyres are an example of modification that doesnt make you an idiot on the road or improved suspension.

I can guarentee a lot of the vehicles you think are modified only have a kit on them to 'improve their look' not performance as this is normally all those young boys do to their cars as they have no real idea about mechanics.

Also how often do you hear of a 30yr old in a 'modified' car in a similar accident? Its normally always 15-25yr olds that seem to be the biggest problem so yes age restictions on the cc rating of the type of car you can drive is more likely to work than taking a lot of cars off the road that arent the problem for the majority.

The kids that are causing the real problems will still act the fool in other cars even when cc restrictions come in there is no doubt about it but at least they wont have as much power behind them while they are only learning the basics of control and handling.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 9:48am
There have been no confirmations that this guy is a boy-racer but it is a horrible thing that has happened. I feel for both families involved.
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 5:06pm
Exactly yet because of the car people are so quick to assume he is at fault when even the police have indicated its very likely the conditions at the time. When i first read the article all i could think was not just how horrible for the family but the poor boy driving. He tried his best to save the child and didnt take off like in so many other stories we hear in the news.
tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:24pm
Firstly I feel so sorry for this family, I hope I never experience what they're going through. Secondly, I'm very sceptical about anything the media reports after personal experiences with their inability to report what really happened.
Kellyfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 5:16pm
This is truly a sad story and I feel for everyone involved, including the boy who was driving the car. There is, as was said, no evidence that he was a so called 'boy racer' and because he was young and driving a silvia, the media jump to these labels to sensationalise an already tragic event. The conditions were bad, and even the best drivers can aqua-plane or lose control in wet weather. Accidents happen, and no matter how many rules we have in place, they always will.
I agree that there is no need for 16 year olds to be driving souped-up high performance cars when they don't necessarily have the skill or experience to be able to handle them. How they get the money to make the upgrades in the first place is beyond me. But I think sometimes we jump on the youth-hating bandwagon when it's not justified (remembering that drivers of all ages cause accidents).
This boy might deserve to be charged, but if it was a genuine accident, he already has to live with the fact that he has ended a child's life. He's probably not the low-life teenager we all imagine and this is probably a case of him and the family both being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:17pm
Well actually there was an article earlier in the Herald or stuff I can't remember stating he was a boy racer and doing drifts. That does appear to be false reporting though.

Edited by kellie
Booski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:53pm
I wonder what news I was watching?? I thought I heard he was going home from his job and lost control - nothing about being a boy racer??

Kellyfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:19am
Yeah, that's what the mother of the wee boy said in a press-release statement - that he was on his way home from work, and lost control in the wet conditions when he came round the corner. It just f***s me off when media reports stuff like this, with a sensationalist spin on it - a young male in Chch must of course be a boy racer. It's lazy journalism, and lazy journalism trivialises the suffering of the people involved.
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:13am
I suppose they are lucky it was a small jap car, imagine if it were a 4wd or a truck or something.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:28am

The kid wasn't boy racing he was on his way home from work and lost control on a slippery road - its a tragic accident all round.  He's only 17 this will effect him for the rest of his life and the mum whose lost her precious son.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply