FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLeaking Baby Cheeks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aroha11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroha11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Baby Cheeks
    Posted: 20 August 2011 at 4:01pm
Hi there we have started using baby cheeks and they seem to leak at the back when wet, any tips?

There have been no leaks so far with poo but when wet it is another story.
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 7:31pm
Try adding more absorbancy or changing them sooner.

bebebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 9:52pm
Not sure what these are like exactly, but if they are similar to some pockets, have you made sure the insert and inside of cover (the microfibre) are tucked in. And not coming over the elasticated top. iykwim. Which could cause wicking of moisture onto clothes etc.
Aroha11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroha11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 1:56pm
thanks for that, they were leaking only after about 30mins so pretty sure it wasn't a time issue. Will have to check the mircofibre isn't sticking out next time.

Cheers
deborahruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deborahruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 9:25am
Hi Aroha,
I have the same problem. Pretty much I decided Baby Cheeks were a bad purchase. I have found to remedy the situation doubling up on the absorbancy pads works.

Have asked lots of questions in lots of forums and on facebook...
found lots of people were dissatisfied. Some have even taken theirs back. Mine have only been used a few times and the laminate is already pulling away - which was a common find on facebook. Don't buy any more! Ask around and find another brand that works for you. My fav at the mo is Honey Child, But my online poll suggested Itti Bitti as the fave.

There are a few online places you can ask for advice: The Nappy Lady, Cheeky Cherbs, Chic Cheeks and Nappy Heaven.
deborahruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deborahruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2011 at 9:45am
Ok so just after I last posted the laminate on one gave in so I took them back to Farmers. Farmers took them back no questions asked - they don't even stock them any more. So if you have a receipt you should be able to take your back.
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 6:01pm
I found the baby cheeks leaked around the legs for me, I could never get the mircrofleece inside the nappy so they always made the legs of bubs bodysuit wet.
marku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 9:32am
I also had leaky Baby Cheeks, up to a point where I considered chucking them in the bin - every. single. nappy. leaked. I was so angry!

BUT! My hubby has found a solution. I'm posting it here in hopes that someone might find it helpful.

We do all our clothes washing with cold water and Ecostore washing powder. It has always worked well - even for my husband's dirty work clothes - so when our son was born, I did the same with his nappies. To prevent detergent build-up and following manufacturer's instructions, I also did a warm wash with soda and vinegar once a month.

Within 3 months, nappies started leaking: little infrequent leaks at first, in-your-face and all-the-time leaks later.

I wondered if maybe the nappies are too loose around the legs, so I made them tighter, but they still leaked. Then I thought: a-ha!, maybe the inserts are faulty! I bought new inserts - no improvement. Then I thought: he's peeing lots, maybe fleece can't absorb so much so quickly? I started using nappy liners, which helped marginally, but... they still leaked. I sort of wondered if washing powder had built up over time making them leaky, but why would that be if I was doing soda and vinegar washes, just like the manual said?

Thankfully, my husband took over as a stay-at-home dad during that time - I say thankfully because otherwise I would've thrown "the frickin nappies", as I had started calling them, out and would've never realised I had actually created the leaks myself.

Turns out that so-called "eco washing powders" are better for the environment because they rely on enzymes. They're fine for regular clothes washing, but not so much for nappies, because they clog the pores - at least Ecostore brand does - and it takes WAY MORE than a soda-and-vinegar wash once a month to get rid of that build-up.

My husband started washing the nappies with little scoops of Vanish Napisan at first, to get rid of the build-up - it took about 3 washes before we saw significant decrease in leaking - and no washing powder since then, relying on harsh Otago sun to bleach the bastards instead.

And the result? Beautiful, leak-free nappies. My son is 1 year old now, he goes through 4, maybe 5 nappies a day, and Baby Cheeks are doing as well as they did right at the beginning.

With the winter months setting in we're slowly starting to add little scoops of Napisan again - to kill the bacteria, since there isn't enough sun to do the bleaching for us - and I might pop back here in 2 or 3 months to let you know how we're doing.

So far, though, I love our Baby Cheeks and if it weren't for my hubby I would've probably hated the sneaky bastards.

Hope it helps.

Maria
 Post Reply Post Reply