FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUsing cloth nappies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wombles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wombles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using cloth nappies
    Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:45pm
I'm currently pregnant and i'm thinking when bubs comes along i'd like to use cloth nappies. Just got a couple of questions.
How does everyone feel about cloth nappies are there benefits / negatives with cloth nappies vs disposable ones.
When did you start using cloth nappies?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 6:12pm
I'd say the main benefit is the cost savings. That is unless you develop a nappy buying addiction I have simple OSFM pockets and they've been fine and I've saved loads.
The biggest con I've found is that it can be a little tricky to get the washing right so the nappies don't get smelly. More water, less soap is key there.

I've been using them full time (except for earthquakes and overseas trips) since around 6 weeks. This time I'll try from birth or at least from when the meconium is gone.
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:14pm
With 2 in nappies at the same time cost is the biggest factor for us. I don't have a huge stash, I wash every day so that kept the cost down.

I started using them when my girls were 4 months, they were prem so too small for them until then.

I've actually started using disposables quite a bit now my girls are older and holding on to their wee, had a few leaks but I'm planning to toilet train soon so not worth investing in any different MCN's or boosters etc. But the weekly cost is killing me! So glad I used cloth!

Edited by Danda08
Wombles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wombles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:02am
Thank you for your help. The main reasons for wanting to use cloth nappies is 1. the cost of disposable but the main reason 2. is I really hate making lots of rubbish and I'm not keen on having to put all those nappies in the landfill (currently our rubbish only goes out every 2nd or 3rd week).
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:02am
I used cloth nappies from birth. I had a newborn hire kit from Jan at YoYo nappies which was brilliant, and then from about three months we started using a combination of bamboo fitteds and covers, and pocket nappies.

I'm a waste management consultant so the landfill issue and the waste of resources used in making disposables were the biggest issue for me. I wasna going to be a hypocrite after all my years of telling people they should be using cloth nappies! We've used disposables on occasion, but have probably gone through three packs in 20 months. We don't use wipes either - cloths and soapy water.

don't believe anybody who quotes that UK study at you, saying that overall when considering washing the environmental impact is similar. It was totally discredited and was based on washing nappies in 90 degree water or something ridiculous, and drying them in a dryer every time.

Also bear in mind that if unless biodegradable nappies are composted, the order of preference would be cloth - disposables - biodegradable nappies absolute last option. few people know this. the manufacturers don't exactly go out of their way to clarify it either.
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 1:03pm
Hi lisame,

Why are biodegradables worse if not composted? We're expecting our first child in a few weeks and have been stocking up on cloth nappies but haven't got many that will work for a newborn so will use a mixture to begin with. I bought some biodegradable ones thinking they would be better. We will compost them if they only have wees, but otherwise they'll go in the bin.
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:16am
because... the big issue with landfills is that they are anaerobic (no oxygen). When biodegradable waste breaks down anaerobically, it lets off methane. Methane is, approximately (mfe are about to change their conversation factor) 21 times more powerful as a greenhouse gas than CO2.

so, if you're going to be sticking stuff in a landfill, it's better if it's not biodegradable, so disposables are better.

I wish the manufacturers of biodegradable nappies (and the retailers, for that matter) would be more informative about this, because otherwise the outcome is people like you who think you're doing the right thing, but in actual fact are likely to have a bigger impact than if you just used disposables.

But then I guess they'd not sell as many, cos how many people are really honestly going to compost a poo-ey nappy. And they are actually quite difficult to compost as well.

edited: to correct spelling and apologise for the techy lecture. Good on you for trying to do the right thing - I'm pissed off at the manufacturers and retailers though.

Edited by lisame
kernowexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernowexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 2:36pm
Thank you lisame for the info! I am going the cloth route for the very landfill issue which Wombles mentions. We only put out a small sack every 3-4 weeks and can't face stacking any more rubbish into the ground.

I didn't appreciate the difference between biodegradeable and normal disposal nappies as far as the gases were concerned. Learn a new thing every day.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Wombles Wombles wrote:

Thank you for your help. The main reasons for wanting to use cloth nappies is 1. the cost of disposable but the main reason 2. is I really hate making lots of rubbish and I'm not keen on having to put all those nappies in the landfill (currently our rubbish only goes out every 2nd or 3rd week).

I use cloth but for the first 6 weeks and every time I put a supermarket bag full of nappies into my rubbish bag I was cursing and muttering about waste. I went from a bag every 3 weeks to one a week!

For this alone you'll love cloth
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 10:42am
Ha, just saw I wrote 'conversation factor' instead of 'conversion factor'. oops. hope it still made enough sense.
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 9:03am
Originally posted by AandCsmum AandCsmum wrote:

Originally posted by Wombles Wombles wrote:

I use cloth but for the first 6 weeks and every time I put a supermarket bag full of nappies into my rubbish bag I was cursing and muttering about waste. I went from a bag every 3 weeks to one a week!

For this alone you'll love cloth

So, so true! We usually put out one bag/week of rubbish but with the girls in disposables more often now that has doubled and it STINKS!! And that's with still using cloth part-time, imagine how much it would be in full time sposies
MumtoMany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumtoMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 3:19pm
The problem with smelly cloth nappies has alot to do with what inserts you are using. Microfiber stinks. Bamboo etc does not tend to smell. Of course night nappies do hold smell. I tend to rinse them as soon as i take them off so they are not sitting in stinky pee etc. I have used cloth for my late 3 children. First child i used pockets with microfiber and was always having problems. The last 2 have been sios or pockets with bamboo etc. No problems.
DD 12 DS 9.5 DD 6 DS 4 DD 23 months and here comes number 6

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 9:02am
We have used cloth for both kids and find them easy to use and wash, and have never had a problem with them getting smelly. I have always just stuck with pocket nappies (mostly fuzzibunz)as they are more cost effective for us - it meant I could have more and wash less! Also most of mine I have bought 2nd hand off trade me.
I wash in hot water and use a disinfectant rinse like dettol rinse, then pop them on the line or drying rack depending on weather.
It can be a bit of trial and error to find the right absorbancy for each child especially overnight, but we use a mix of bamboo, microfibre and prefolds to stuff them without any problems.
You do have to change them more regularly than a disposable (say every 2-3 hours) but in my opinion there is nothing worse than a child with disposable nappy so full it is hanging around there knees!
As a big plus, there is nothing cuter than a cloth nappy on a baby :)

Also if you are wanting to start from birth I would recommend prefolds to start (check out the snazzipants website). They are cheap and can fit any baby no matter how small. I used them on my two at the beginning and now use them to stuff my pocket nappies :)

Post Reply Post Reply