FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedchicken pox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chicken pox
    Posted: 26 August 2007 at 12:31pm
So a playgroup lady has just phoned to let me know her daughter has it and Piper has been exposed. as this is new to me as a mum what I would like to know is

When & how long is she contagious for of she has picked it up and when do the spots arrive?
Sponsored Links

Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 12:51pm
The spots can take up (10 days to)2 weeks to arrive, Piper is officially contagious 5 days before the spots show up till the last one scabs over.
They don't recommend that you use calamine lotion anymore (drys them out and makes marking worse I think?) for the spots but oatmeal or pinetarsol baths, natural lotions and antihistamines.
Best of luck honey!
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
mum2emj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2emj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 1:28pm
ooh thanks for asking the question and the answer! lol.
i had a few friends around for kayla's birthday and have since found out one of the girls has the chickenpox now so have been frantically checking my girls! im not sure if they were exposed or not, but im guessing they would of been.
all the best to little piper, hope that if she comes out in them they arent bad and that she gets better real quick xxoo
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 1:54pm
Here's my advice if she does get them:

Mebo (anti itch cream available from pharmacy)
Weleda Rhus Tox (also from pharmacy) to ease the itching that keeps them up ALL night for a few days.

These are the only things that worked for us!

oh and luke warm baking soda baths.. as much baking soda as you want! the more the better.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 2:04pm
usually takes 14 days from contact till spots appear and as has been said, contagious from 5 days before spots until last one crusts.

I used heaps of calamine lotion on my girls and they only have 2 marks, on their face, where i hadn't used the lotion because it was too close to their eyes.. go figure.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Carmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 2:04pm
cool thanx ladies, will try these if we end up needing to
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 2:06pm
I know it's not a nice thing to go through for either of you.. but as everyone said to me.. better now than later.. it is worse the older they get.

Carmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 2:44pm
Yeah I know, Im am glad theres a possibility of her having them now rather than when we are in england at xmas (if her father is anything to go by, as he got them when he was last over there)
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 2:49pm
Carmel brooke got them when she was 5 months old and now I think it was great as shes had them over and done with. What kid had it??

Also when brooke had it a friend brought her kids round so her child could catch them (LOL wanted to get them over and done with ) but she didn't get them even though Brooke was still contageous at the time.

Everyone has said ti before when they are contageous etc.... Pinetaral is great - don't go buy it yourself get a script from the Drs as it will be free and you will get a huge bottle. I bathed brooke in pinetarsal like 4 times a day when she had them. And if/when Piper gets them if you wonder if they are chickhen poxs I can tell you (LOL voice of expereince here)

Thinking perhaps Rhyley needs to visit his little friend Piper and get them out of the way????
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 5:06pm
I think they also get fever with it? I was exposed to chicken pox as a kid (by accident) but never came out with them, and naively expected I wouldn't ever get them. Sadly I got them when I was 18 and missed out on Christmas that year lol.

Lukewarm baths really help to soothe the itchiness.

Edited by busymum
Carmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 5:18pm
[QUOTE=AnnC] What kid had it??

It was at nicki's place on thursday & friday, It was Catherine's daughter Teryn,(Catherine is the other carer)

Post Reply Post Reply