FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"personal" question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "personal" question?
    Posted: 21 October 2005 at 12:50pm
I was wondering if anyone has any advice (and I'm sure you do!)about a couple of things.

Firstly, Jacob is nearly 20 weeks old, and breastfed. My periods haven't returned, when can I expect that? Should I do a pregnancy test just in case?

Secondly, I had a normal labour and birth, not too traumatic, only thing is Jacob damaged my pelvic floor with his huge noggin on the way out, and I also had some internal grazing. The thing is, i figured it should be all healed by now, but it is still very painful to have sex. Is this normal?

Thirdly, As above, sex is painful, we use lots of lube, but i'm just not that into it anymore (and I was dreading that)will my sex drive return?

Thanks for any advice, help etc, it is really appriciated!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Sponsored Links

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 1:08pm
Firstly, as far as periods returning go, sorry, but there doesn't seem to be any rule-of-thumb to go by. Breastfeeding works as a contraceptive in about 30% of women, so a pregnancy test if you're not sure is probably a good idea. If you are feeling all sorts of strange niggles, it could be pregnancy, or it could be your menstral cycle starting up again. Its quite common for periods, once they return, to be really light for breastfeeding mums.

I've no experience on your second concern, so I can't really comment, but maybe you should talk to your doctor or a nurse to see how long healing should take. That's my 2 cents worth, take it or leave it, I don't mind. Personally, I've just recovered from pelvic inflammation which my GP told me is very common following vaginal childbirth. He gave me a course of antibiotics to treat the inflammation, and they worked fine. While I had this pelvic inflammation, sex was quite painful for me too, and I also had random stabbing pains across my lower abdomen.

Thirdly, my sex drive took a while to return as well. I noticed that by the end of the day I was really "touched out", from tending to Josiah and making sure Kiya wasn't missing out either. When Nathaniel then wanted my attention it was the last thing I wanted to do! I just went slow, and told myself that by giving to him sexually I would benefit too.

It seems that the more us women get, the more we want. So the best way for us to increase our sex drive is to have lots of sex! I made sure Nathaniel took it one day at a time, but we've managed to go from once a fortnight to 5 times a week at the moment. It hurt me at first as well, and still does occasionally if Nathaniel is a little more eager than I'm ready for, but lots of lube helps. Again, talk to a health professional to find out if its a symptom of something more serious.

Sorry about the novel, Annie, but I hope something I've rambled on about helps!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 1:13pm
Thanks heaps for that, it is really helpfull! We ahve been talking about trying for another bby early next year, but it would mean having to have sex more often!! ha ha. You're right, the more you get, the more you want. Might just ahve to suck it up and go to the Dr.
k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 4:43pm
yeah as for the periods while b/f i got my periods back about a year after having the boys - b/f for 14mths. was taking the mim pill but lost the plot with it in the end so was on no contaception while bf. must admit tho did do the odd preg test to make sure. i know someone who b/f for 18mths and got her periods back pretty much the week she stopped bf.

as for the painful sex - go to the doc as i feel if you are experiencing the pain it will put you off wanting to have sex all together - well for me it would

as for the sex drive take it slow and get him to pamper you - you know what dr phil says about sex for woman being a mental state not a physical like men - hope that makes sense.
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

paigesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paigesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 9:06pm
I am breast feeding too! And got my first period since having Blake last month but haven't had one since, but his feeds droped to 4 feeds for a while I think thats why I got it, at the moment hes on 5 feeds again and I was due last week. But it's differnet with everyone.
As for painful sex I agree go to the doctor and get checked out! Hope this helps!
Karen.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 11:04pm
i never got another period.....there is a funny post...well, funny looking back, with me asking how long it took for people's periods to come back....then another post with me discovering I was pregnant again 4 MONTHS!!!! So i would do a test, just to rule out pregnancy. you can always go to the doctor if you are worried.
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2005 at 8:46pm
I had grazing with Arna and wasn't stitched - a few weeks later I found that my "lips" had healed together - nothing was going in or out! - After an operation and 13 weeks after Arna was born we tried "relations" (sex) and I have never felt so much pain in my life!! Every women is different - however mine was an extreme and rare case according to my midwife... Just to give my bad scenario 16 months after my daughter was born and we are just getting back into "pain-free" sex now..
I am off to the doctor next week however for a check up and sometimes it still hurts.. was too nervous to go any earlier...

My advice - if in a month or so things haven't improved then go to a doctor!! The earlier you go the better and you won't have a nagging and upset partner like me (Also you will have less pain!)

Remember your body is still healing from having a baby and it takes time to get back into the swing of things.. any hesitations go to doctor or gyno.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 11:34am
I agree that you should definitely go to the doctor. Like Becca said, pelvic inflammation is fairly common after a vaginal delivery, but if not checked out properly it can cause scarring and fertility problems later on.

In saying that, it was months before Willie and I resumed 'relations' after Maya was born, but that was mostly unresolved emotional issues, and when we eventually did get there it wasn't too painful.

Re. the periods, I fully breastfed and mine started again at about 4 mths, but I know women who have had no periods in between pregnancies (hehe Lizzle!) so it is really a random and personal thing. You could talk to your doctor about that too maybe while you're there.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 11:38am
Hehe... somewhere there's a post from me wondering if I was pregnant... then I got my period, 3 weeks later got another, 3 weeks after that my third period since having Josiah started... but that one was 4 1/2 weeks ago... ummm...
AnnaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2005 at 1:32pm
I fully breastfed Quinn for six months and then only got my period after he started on solids!! But I think it is all so individual, I wouldn't worry but do a testif it'll make you feel better...

And re the sex drive thing! I cannot be bothered and Quinn is now fifteen months!! I am so tired all the time and the only foreplay Andy and I indulge in is "can you be bothered?", and "nup, me either"... Another thing that is very individual but I think that there is so much stuff going on when little ones are just new(ish) and it takes a lot of effort!! I also reckon that the more you have the more you want!! (Is all of this too much info?)

Perhaps enough sharing for me...!!
Anna and Quinn 10 July 2004
www.quinnariki.blogspot.com
and one more on the way....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 12:56pm
Thanks for all your advise,Girls. I went to Dr today, who said I have a lump of scar tissue and will need to see a gynae to have it removed. I am seeing my midwife today, as i can get into system faster through her. (go figure?)
Pleased to know it wasn't in my head!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 1:38pm
Glad you got an answer!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 3:58pm
Good on you, Annie, for getting it sorted out!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2005 at 10:45am
That's fantastic (well not the fact that you have to have a minor op, but that you got some answers!)

Hope things improve soon
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 1:06pm
Glad you found out what was wrong.. just letting you know I got my period back after I stopped breastfeeding Ella, at 13 months :)

Also took quite a long time to feel in the mood..breastfeeding takes alot out of you as well, make sure you're getting enough water + nutrients :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 12:24pm
Kat... oooo so if I stop breastfeeding I'll be more energetic??? I can't wait... I'm just too lazy to stop Weaning is hard when your child is so attached to feeding.
I felt quite embarrassed yesterday when I realised that Hannah was kinda past the age where it is cute to breastfeed. She's so big she hangs off me. So I retired to the parents room and fed behind a curtain. Luckily the parents room was comfy and clean (and had a TV )
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2005 at 7:39am
I feed Sophie untill she was about 20months, when she weaned herself - One's not that big
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2005 at 11:48am
she's a big kid though
maybe han will wean herself like sophie? i'm not sure i can handle another 8 months
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2005 at 9:23am
Just slowly cut down the number of feeds she is having - if she is ready Hannah won't even notice it.  By the time Sophie finally weaned herself she was only have one feed a day.  For a while it was just a morning and night feed, so not so bad.  It must have been around 1-1 1/4 Sophie was down to 3 feeds a day.  Can't really remember just kinda happened.
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

Post Reply Post Reply