FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAIO’s leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIO’s leaking
    Posted: 12 October 2007 at 7:17pm
So far I have had no luck with my AIO's.
I have 2 different well know brands and have washed them both well over 10 times and I just can not get any more than 1.5 hours out of them. Both my 2year old and my 5 month old have been wearing them and usually within an hour we have wees all over the place.

Does anybody else have trouble with their AIO's, am thinking I might try and sell them

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 7:24pm
Which washing powder did you use? You can test if they are wicking the liquid away properly by pouring some water on them, if it tends to roll off the surface then it could be detergent build up. I use ecostore and only use a 1/4 of the recommended minimum amount on 40 degrees and I set the washing machine to do an extra rinse as well.
I don't have AIO and I'm not sure what brands you have but I had real trouble with Swaddlebee pocket nappies to the point that I got a store credit for them because nothing I did would make them work for more than an hour.

Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:03pm
I'm using drive and about 1/2 recommended does or maybe a bit less. Also I always do a double rinse and have done an extra rince a couple of time too. I am washing them with my pockets and inserts. I will pour some water on them tomorrow once they are dry and see how quickly they absort
thanks cuppatea

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:25pm
Drive isn't that great for nappies. It seems to cause build up quite a bit faster than other washing powders I've found.

To add more absorbancy to your AIO, get some fleece topped doublers. I got these for my AIO's because mine would leak after 2hrs or so because Daniel is a mega pee'er. They can just go against bubs skin cause its got microfleece on it.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:42pm
cuppatea with ecostore you shouldnt need to use less to wash nappies...

spudling some AIO's arent as abosrbent as other nappies. What brands do you have?
mothersinstinct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothersinstinct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:52pm
AIO's are more prone to getting build ups as well, with everything sewn in. One of my suppliers says a good scrub with a brush and a bit of dish detergent does them wonders!

I wouldn't use Drive on nappies. I have found the best detergents to not cause too much build up is Ecostore liquid and Anolin.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by GandT GandT wrote:

cuppatea with ecostore you shouldnt need to use less to wash nappies...

Well that's what was recommended to me by two different nappy stores, and besides it means the liquid lasts longer if I'm using less

Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 9:13pm
oh man, I bought drive cos I was recommended that brand, oh well, no worries, it smells nice, I will use it up on my normal washing and get some eco-store stuff in the weekend.

karyn, I will also get out the scrubbing brush and see if that helps

Stacey, I don't have any fleece topped doublers, but I do have some french hemp terry materal that I bought to make inserts, hemp can go against the skin right? Or do I need to cover with fleece?

anyway thanks heaps everyone for your replys.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 9:21pm
Hemp doesn't wick away the moisture so isn't good next to skin.

I had to strip my swaddlebees of build up from persil (wasn't told not to use normal powders). I handwashed with dishwashing liquid and then put through 2 hot cycles without any detergent and that did the trick.

They were still crap though, just not as crap as when they had the build up

Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 9:35pm
Yes you can use hemp next to skin but it is slower to absorb. If you cover them with fleece there will be a stay dry layer but it won't help absorbancy. I have a couple I can lend you to try and see if it helps? (Save you buying them and then finding that's not the problem?)
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 9:58pm
Kebakat - where did you get your fleece covered doublers from?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Spudling Spudling wrote:

oh man, I bought drive cos I was recommended that brand, oh well, no worries, it smells nice, I will use it up on my normal washing and get some eco-store stuff in the weekend.

some normal washing powders are fine you dont have to get ecostore stuff. we use persil here and never had a problem. just make sure the stuff you buy doesnt have fabric softener added to it cause that isnt good for the nappies. most people i know just use their normal washing powder for their nappies.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 8:16am
Tweedle makes them. I asked if she could make them with 2 layers of microfibre and 1 layer of hemp with fleece on top and she made them for me. Better than just having hemp which like has been said, is slower to absorb.
mothersinstinct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothersinstinct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 8:20am
Anything with enzymes is not supposed to be very good for the nappies.
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 8:22am
oh Kathryn, that is so nice thank you so much for the offer. what I have done is give them a good scrub and washed them in dish washing liquid and they are in washing machine now with no detergent so I will try them again this avo once dry and see if that helps.
If not, I will take you up on your offer

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 8:30am
your last post reminded me that if they arent properly dry then it may cause a problem. becasue all the layers are included you have to be very careful they are dry properly. i always leave mine drying longer than my other nappies.
still wouldnt mind knowing what brands you were having trouble with?
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 9:58pm
Did you get this sorted Charlotte?
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Faraway Faraway wrote:

Did you get this sorted Charlotte?

yes and no. The two AIO's I have got are a insainly cute bubblebubs and a monkey doodlez and sadly I have decided that the bubblebubs nappy doesn't suit Jeremy's bottom, I have tried everything suggested but he just leaks out of it. It must be a good nappy because most I have read about it other Mum's are really happy so I think it is just Jeremy's bottom.
The Monkey D nappy is much better after giving it a scrub and then wash in hot water with no detergent. I am now getting a good 2 hours out of it and probably a bit more. I have gone ahead and just ordered a doubler to go inside too. I ment to thank you again for your offer of borrowing one, but I thought by the time you sent it to me and I sent it back etc it wouldn't be much more just to go and buy one...so buy one I did! Er with another nappy too, opps, I've got a GADimal coming my way and can't wait, they look so cute

Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 4:12pm
I'm pleased you've got a solution! Re the bubblebubs they need heaps of washing apparantly to get their absorbancy up so maybe it will soon be ok? Maybe the size is wrong? Is he in a small or medium?
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 4:40pm
I second Kathryns comment. Sam's bubblebub needed to be washed heaps before it stopped leaking. I pretty much put it through every nappy load for 2 weeks before it worked for me

Post Reply Post Reply