FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat to expect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to expect
    Posted: 27 October 2007 at 1:54pm
Am feeling really gutted and sad as I started bleeding on Thursday and my blood test results have showed that my hormone level has dropped to only 170. I am going to the Early Pregnancy Clinic on Monday but the doctor has already told me that it wont be a viable pregnancy.
Can anybody tell me what to expect. I have been bleeding,like a heavy period, since Thursday. How long would this go on for? How long will it take for my cycle to get back to normal? Should I expect it to take longer to get pregnant again now? Does this increase my chance of having another miscarriage?
So many questions sorry!
I am really sorry that any of you have gone through this too. Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Sponsored Links

katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 1:56pm
Also, what about a D and C? Is that horrible? Do most people have to have them? If you do does it give you a better chance of concieving again more quickly?
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 2:29pm
Hi Katie, sorry to hear this. I have had 2 m/c so far this year - first one I bled for 7 weeks (sorry!!), mainly medium until I took some tablets, which made it really heavy for about 4 days. The second m/c I bled VERY heavily for 4 days. Usually you tend to get your AF back around 4 weeks after the m/c finishes (similar to a normal AF). There is a belief that you're more fertile in the first 1-2 cycles after a m/c. As for increasing your risk for another m/c - I don't think so. I never had a D&C either time - the first I was given tablets to clear my system out. The second was straight forward for me.

I hope this helps. Huge to you.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 4:38pm
firstly i am sorry to hear your news:( how far along were you? the reason i ask is it seems to make a difference about a DandC...

I found out at 12 weeks that bubs had died at 8 weeks 2 days....i wasn't given a natural m/c option as it had already been four weeks....i was terrified about the DandC but at least in my experience it was good..

I went in and 15 mins later was all over... and you were allowed to leave 4 hours later but i was bleeding(most people don't bleed that heavy) and had an injection to stop that...i had to pee before i left hospital too before i was allowed to go.. I had a little spotting(different for everyone) for a few days and no cramping etc and that was it.

Everyone said i was more fertile during the next three months but i wasn't allowed to try again anyway then.. got AF 5 weeks later then spotting like Af 24 days later...then next real AF 24 days after that and then got pregnant first cycle after that..

generally 1 miscarriage does not increase your risk ..they don't generally think risk increases till after 3:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 5:37pm
hey katie1, first of all i would just like to give you a big hug.

I had a dnc done 9wks ago, I had a scan at 10wks 4days and bubs had died about 6wks 2days. I opted for the dnc, I went into hospital, got given some tablets to soften my cervix (what they didnt tell me) is that you start to get cramping like labour cramping. (although no where as painful) I then had the proceedure done, went into theatre at 3.15pm was in recover by 3.45pm, home by 6pm. I had no cramping after the dnc but had bleeding for just under two weeks, (i actually had funnying bleeding) but everyone is different, 6wks to the day i go my period back and am now in my tww.

I was told to wait 6wks before ttcing again, just to give my body a chance to heal and for myself to grieve.

If you want to know anything else or just want someone to chat to pm me, i am always there :O)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 7:20pm
Hi Katie, I'm sorry to hear of your m/c Since you are already bleeding there is generally no need for d&c unless not all of it comes away. Usually a 'natural' m/c is better but you may bleed for longer. All natural m/c have different answers to your questions, despite how far along. You can expect a lot of bleeding and clotting and you will probably feel run down, low in iron, tired... as well as you will most likely experience the 'baby blues' which is the drop of emotions after being pregnant. That usually occurs in 2-3 days from the start of the m/c and you may end up 'weepy' over the slightest thing Be kind to yourself, this is a very emotional time even without the hormones! and it will pass in time

As for getting pg again, seems to differ all over the place. My SIL conceived immediately after (that is, about 2-3 weeks later) whereas I had 4 weeks off then 2 weeks of my next AF (which was far crampier than the m/c, apparently I still had some cleaning out to do), then another 5 weeks-ish before I ovulated again (and conceived). Whereas up to the m/c I had been quite regular. Some women don't ovulate/have a period for a couple of months after the m/c.

Hope that helps, ask away for feel free to PM
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 7:54pm
Thanks so much guys. It is so nice to have people to ask (although not nice that it happened to all of you in the first place!)
I am encouraged by those of you who have stories of getting pregnant not too much later. I am really worried that it might not happen again or that if it does I will have another m/c.
I was only 6 weeks pregnant so maybe that means I won't have to have a dnc? For some reason I am really scared of it.
I guess I will see how I get on on Monday. The doctor said they may do a scan to check if things have all come away etc.
Thanks again. Am sure I will have more questions soon.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 7:59pm
You probably won't need a d&c but you should know for sure at the scan. Hope it goes well (as well as these things can go )
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 9:07pm
Sorry to hear about your m/c. if your bleeding then chances are you wont have to have the d&c aslong as things have done the job naturally. I didnt have any bleeding just found out the babies had stopped developing so chose to have the d&c to get it over and done with so I could move on rather than wait.
I had trouble getting pregnant straight away but then went on the pill for a couple of months to get my cycle back into a routine and got pregnant first month I came off.
 Post Reply Post Reply