FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedREFLUX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REFLUX
    Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:39am
What helped your baby & what didn't??
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 7:54am
Helped :
Elevating the basinette, and then her cot with a big phone book under each leg of the cot (head end!).

Breast feeding her on an angle, ie- legs lower than her head, not lieing flat.

Continuing to breast feed dispite 'helpful' people suggesting she would be better of on formula- formula stays in the belly longer, as they produce more acid which can make reflux worse.

Plunket family centre! They were awesome!

Pushing GP to get referred to a Paed, and eventually getting Isla on Gaviscon and Ranitidine,...she was like a different baby when we got her meds sorted!

The crying over spilt milk website.

Did not help:

Breast feeding with me lying down- not good!
Midwifes telling me it was colic.
GP not knowing much about infant reflux, and possible link to dairy intollerance.

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:07am
We did the raise the cot/basinette thing too.

to you. I know how tiring it can be!
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:18am
Most of what Kellz said helped us as well..

if you are breastfeeding, expressing a little off first helped Daniel a bit but unfortunately what stopped his reflux was switching to formula (we switched to formula for other reasons and when we did he didn't need to be medicated anymore).. I'm not suggesting that you do this but perhaps think about cutting some things out of your diet if you haven't like dairy
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:53am
The crying over spilt milk has good flow charts on the steps to take re- tring dairty free diet, trying meds, doses etc- I had to copy these and take to my GP to make him listen!
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 10:27am
Everything Kellz said. I also elevated everywhere we put her down so she never lay flat eg, had a pillow underneath her head end of her playmat, her carry cot etc. I found it good to sit her up on my knee for about 5-10 minutes after a feed.
Definitely get to the Dr and get Gaviscon and ranitidine- total lifesavers.

Edited by Jennz
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:06am

Ranitidine was the biggest help to us by a long shot.  That and a truckload of PVC-backed bibs. 

Andie
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:13am
to you.

I took my little man to Osteo, which seemed to help and they also suggested I give him Slippery Elm powder (all natural).

I also did what Kellz said.

But in saying that, Rex only had mild reflux.

All the best.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Mikaela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikaela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:44am
Also most of what Kellz said for us too.

The two massive breakthroughs we had were:

a) Getting Losec prescribed. He was originally on a hefty dose of 5mg 3 x daily, now he's down to 3mg 1 x daily.

b) Giving up breastfeeding (which broke my heart) and putting him on an AR formula. He was just so much happier on the AR formula that I couldn't believe what a different baby he was, but I still miss breastfeeding
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 9:17pm
Helped
talking to other Mums with babies with reflux
infant gavison...this would work for a week or so then stop working so we would give it to him for about 5 days then none for 2-3 days...seemed to work quite well for us
going to see a naturopath, she was my angel
me taking slippery elm
taking wheat out of my diet

Didn't help
taking dairy out of my diet, it may have helped a tiny bit, but not enough to justfy taking all of that calcium and good fats out of my (and his) diet

At almost 7 months old and on 3 feeds of solids a day plus BF, he still gets reflux, but not as badly as he did when he was soley bf, it is worse in mornings and MUCH MUCH worse when he is unsettled and hasn't slept well.

big hugs to you, reflux sux

3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 9:41pm
I battled on with BF as my midwife told me that formula stays in stomach for longer and can make reflux worse, but as I read here for some people stopping BF help so I think it must depend on each baby.

Avoiding over feeding - I used to put the baby on until let down, then let the fore milk drip into a cloth, then put the baby back on. I fond this helped the most.

LLL has good info on their website on BF reflux babies.

We had no luck with meds.

Raising the bed definitely helps.

I think the only thing that is guaranteed to work is age.

Good Luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply