FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked5 year old and booster seat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 year old and booster seat
    Posted: 12 December 2007 at 8:24pm
My five year old no longer wants to ride in his booster seat while in the car.

I suspect this is due to starting school and wanting to be a big boy.

I know that legally he no longer needs to but I have heard recommendations that they continue using them for longer.

For all those parents with five year olds, what do you do?

Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 8:30pm
I don't have a 5yo yet, I can see his point though! But is he over/under weight and height for his age? My 4yo is under average so I am probably going to be firm with her (when she's 5) and keep her in a bit longer. I think the *actual* recommendation is that their knees fold over the end of the seat comfortably but I can't remember where I read that.
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 8:44pm
My boy is 6 and he still sits in his booster seat. He doesn't mind as he can see better out the window. The other things to watch for is that the seatbelt sits across their shoulder and the lap part goes over their hips not their tummies. My other boy was 7 before he came out of the booster seat.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
gemsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 8:45pm
I thought it was to do with safe seatbelt placement - so it sits properly at shoulder and lap. My 6 year old still sits in a booster seat (or a booster cushion, depending on which car she's in). She's never complained cos that's just the way it is in our car. I'm going to keep both my two in booster seats/cushions until they are quite a bit older. The new safety guidelines are going to push for booster seats till 9 years (and I know the UK has made it law that kids need to stay in booster seats till they are a certain age (I think its 11 but I could be wrong)or height (whichever comes first)).
I refuse to compromise with my children when it comes to safety issues.

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 9:25pm
i could be wrong here but i think i remember reading or hearing that its the law to have them in a booster when they are 5 which means right up till thier 6th birthday but again i could be completely wrong on that
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 9:50pm
Booster until 12 here (the UK legal reqs I mean) Its not until then that they are even close to 'adult' size so can safely use an adult belt. Personally I would just have it as a non-negotiable but I am a bit of a car safety nut
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

megrac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megrac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 12:19pm
we have two carseats in the back so dont have room for a booster in the middle for miss 6 so we brought a harnes you just do the lap belt up tight and the harnes goes from the belt to a ancor point much safer than a adult belt. only about $30 from baby factory or baby city

Edited by megrac
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 1:20pm
HAve a look at this NZ website child restraint safety

Bonnie who runs it is on here occassionally (CRS). If you cant find what you want in the info, there is a forum you can ask questions on.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 8:07pm
Thanks so much for all your help. I think I will need to be much firmer with him.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 7:22pm
Maya will be 5 in Feb, I guess I'm lucky that she hasn't yet questioned the need to be in a booster seat, but if/when she does it's just one of those non-negotiable things, she will stay in it till she leaves home!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 11:48pm
ah hahahahahaha good luck on that one...I want tickets to come watch THAT discussion with her!
 Post Reply Post Reply