FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedany idea?advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any idea?advice?
    Posted: 25 January 2008 at 3:19pm
I have eczema ..well i used to before i found out my food allergies..and asthma and just wondered from all you experienced Mum's whether when Ethan is born I should be avoiding anything special to do what i can about allergies for him? (I'm severly intolerant..i wont call it allergic) to soy, some nuts, peas and tomatoes)

I've avoided nuts but is there anything else i need to do now..or when breast feeding?
Mum to two amazing boys!
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 3:51pm
I would just see how things go when he gets here. Then if you do notice him starting to get some eczema, try and work out the triggers. Be careful with what creams, bath washes etc you use as many of the supermarket ones will totally dry out their skin. They dont really need anything in their bath anyway. If you are worried about the food issues, try delaying solids until 6 months if you can and only introduce low allergen foods, and iintroduce everything slowly so if you do get some kind of reaction you know what it was from. HTH.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 4:24pm
thankyou
Mum to two amazing boys!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 5:43pm
Yep just introduce one new food at a time,...like per week, so you will see if he is going to get a delayed reaction,..like excema a few days after its introduced. I guess thats a way off yet tho!
I avoided all nuts when ttc/preg/bf to try prevent allergies as I have always had mild asthma, hayfever and occasional food related hives. But unfortuatley Isla got reflux/excema/ dairy allergy and other intollerences. Unfortuantley there is no easy answer to preventing allergies tho.
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 9:59pm
I avoided nuts, eggs and cut down on dairy when pregnant and now I'm breastfeeding. Try to exclusively breastfeed, hold off solids until at least 6 months and one thing that I think might help is try not to be too clean. I would hold of introducing any of your triggers as solids for the baby for a couple of years at least. I was absolutely anal about cleanliness when I was pregnant with Charlotte- carried purell everywhere with me and cleaned the house obsessively. One of the theories is that allergies can develop because we are too sterile now. May not help, but worth a try!
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 10:15pm
Yeah my friend was telling me today that they are now suggesting if you don't have allergies in your close family then you should not avoid nuts etc whilst pregnant as they think that may be contributing to the problem. Doesn't always work though, we have no allergies in either family I didn't restrict nuts, eggs, diary etc and yet he still got an allergy (although he does have the most common one, and I read that 10-15% chance even if parents have no allergies of getting diary one.)

I would just try to do as the others have said and hold off introducing the things you have problems with. Also follow 4 day rule when introducing solids, we strictly do this with Spencer and found that parsnip gave him a flare up of his ezcema which if not following the rule I never would have thought of as a cause.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 8:59am
whats 4 day rule....one food every four days?thanks guys....just wondered if i could do anything when breastfeeding.. thanks for the tips..
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 9:16am
Yeah basically when you introduce a new food you give a little bit and then build that up each day and don't introduce anything else new in those 4 days (but is fine to give foods they are ok with in those days), if the new food causes a reaction you should see it in those 4 days.

With the breastfeeding you may notice foods you eat affect the baby, i.e some might give baby wind etc. I ate a lot of onions one day in a curry and it gave Spencer terrible wind. But with allergies he might get ezcema or be a bit rashy, normally plunket would then suggest that you trial cutting diary (or other foods) from your diet for 2 weeks to see if it helps. My friends baby got terrible nappy rash when she ate too many tomatoes so she is gonna hold off introducing those, although she thinks it might have just been the acid in them rather than an allergy.
Sorry for the waffle, hope some makes sense.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 7:56pm
I wouldn't modify your diet when breastfeeding without medical advice tho as it's important to make sure you are gettig enough nutrients to support you and bub. I was dairy/egg/peanut/soy free whilst breastfeeding the gremlins and it was really tough, I was supervised by a dietician and taking supplements to boost my calcium intake.

Also, avoidance diets don't neccessarily work. The gremlins still responded badly to breastmilk even when I was everything-free, and needed to be on a hypoallergenic formula.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 9:48pm

If problems do arise (here's hoping they don't, of course!), you could try keeping a food diary of your intake, along with any symptoms that appear in baby - patterns sometimes appear, and that can be helpful in knowing if something needs to be cut out.  I was completely dairy-free while breastfeeding Ella for 5 months of it, and it made a small difference for her (her eczema went right down), but wasn't the answer in the end, and the same formula the gremlins were on was what she needed instead.  Quite a few of us have gone dairy-free while feeding our wee ones so there's support for you here if you need to do it, but I'd still say don't go there unless you see a problem to start with - fingers crossed you mightn't have to cross that one. 

Andie
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:41am
awesome thanks everyone....just wondered if i could do anything but it seems to be a wait and see game.. hopefully not too much longer to wait now:)!
Mum to two amazing boys!
 Post Reply Post Reply