FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdvice needed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BabyKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed!
    Posted: 25 January 2008 at 4:34pm
DD is on losec which seems to be working. We are now in the process of introducing solids to her (she is loving this!) she is currently on Karicare AR formula, this was started before the medication was given.

This formula is quick thick and I don't want to fill her up on the milk to much especially now with the solids, would it be a good idea to gradually change her milk to an ordinary formula and allow the losec to work?? Have any of you done it like this?? What milk would you recommend!?
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 9:56pm
I'd say stick with the AR for at least the next few months, you don't want a big reflux flare up when you start solids. Ava's milk feeds are more important than her solid feeds until 8-9 months so you don't need to worry about her filling up on milk too much at this stage.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
BabyKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 9:49am
Hey thanks for the advice, it definately makes sense. And well, if it's working for her so be it!!
BabyKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 5:23pm
I am so glad that you gave that advice!!

This afternoon has been awful!

We gave DD her milk feed at 10.30am and then her solids at 11am, an hour or so later she started crying, wouldn't settle and was very grumpy (granted she was also tired!) I recognised the signs of a reflux flareup thanks to your advice. I gave her 1 dose of gaviscon and she settled down for her next feed, which she took then went to sleep for 2 hours!!

question for you all, how did you introduce solids to a bub with reflux??
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 8:17pm
Very slowly! We started with pears which are apparently quite easy to digest and baby rice. Home prepared fruits are better as you can peel them, commercially prepared baby apples, pears etc. still have the skin which contains a lot of pectin and can upset reflux bubs. Avoid stuff like dairy, egg, wheat, soy etc. until much, much later as a lot of reflux bubs will go on to have food allergies.

Good luck! Glad you managed to settle Ava this afternoon!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
BabyKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 9:03pm
Thanks for the info, will give it a go!! I didn't realise that the skin was left on, amazing what you learn!

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Edited by BabyKiwi
thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 8:43am
my kids have refulx (projectile and silent). their pediatrican recommended they changed from Karicare AR and went onto PepiJunior forumla as many kids with reflux have dairy protein allergies. made a huge improvement.
just out of interest, did you know if your child has diagnosed reflux you can get a 'child disability allowance' of about $39 a week from WINZ? its not income tested and your G.P can complete the form for you. a small but handy help to get out for coffee etc and feel a bit more normal!
also, have been having probs feeding my 7mth old solids. the best is to have it almost like water. too thick and they gag and vomit. i started at 5 3/4mths and after a week i stopped as she couldn't stop vomiting everytime i fed her (just tried baby rice, apple). G.P said to leave it for a month and retry. G.P also said you have a window of 3 mths of when you can start feeding them ie you could start at 8 months if you really had to. don't know exactly what i think about that though!!!
BabyKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:24am
Hey thanks for that!! I really appreciate the advice, especially the advice about the 'Child disability allowance' I didn't know that. Will get on to it!

DD dosen't have severe reflux, thankfully!! The karicare AR is working along with the losec, so hopefully we can introduce solids pretty soon.
BabyKiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyKiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2008 at 9:42pm
Well, update time:

Thankfully she has settled down and we now know what was causing the flare-ups, pears and apples!! So we will be avoiding these for the time being!
 Post Reply Post Reply